Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411620 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 07:29:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGenre tags for your music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Genre tags for your music  (Read 1338 times)
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:49 PM »

I thought people could use this thread to ask for genre tags for their music, and have others give it a go.. Because it can often be hard to genre tag your own music. Especially if you need more than one or two tags. I don't know where this idea came from, but..

..I can start off.. What would you call this beyond electronica? I think electronica is true, but also a tad too wide.. Trance a misfit, as is Minimal.. and so on..  But give it a go if you please.

Or let's see if I or others can come up with some tags for your music Coffee

Jordanoakley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 02:56:07 AM »

First off, nice work on this piece of music!
I'm not sure my answer will be any help at all but here goes..

Genres can be a weird thing. Sometimes what defines a genre can be quite loose, and there's usually a lot of crossover. It's strange to think about why we - especially in the past few decades - have tried to categorise everything into certain genres, and then use the genres as guidelines for composing our own music.
Now that we have so many VSTs at our fingertips, it's easy to create some electronic ditty than can't be properly labelled "techno" or "minimal" etc. Furthermore, a lot of artists who compose techno, house, etc, start composing with the genre they want to explore in mind. They're usually led by a certain drum sound, tempo, rhythm, or a specific 80s/90s synth.
ANYWAY, rant over. I honestly can't think of anything except electronica or electronic regarding your song. But, you could always try and label it something completely fun and new? That's the beauty of the age we live in  Shrug

Website   //  facebook  //  Soundcloud
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 03:01:43 AM »

"bad"

edit: i meant for my own music,

i think genre labels can be fun. i also think they're effectively useless outside of music service search engines. and even then.

i call my music "anti-pop," sometimes. sometimes it's "just" hip-hop. mostly i have no fucking idea. i'm never going to take categorizing it too seriously.

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:12:13 PM »

First off, nice work on this piece of music!
I'm not sure my answer will be any help at all but here goes..

Genres can be a weird thing. Sometimes what defines a genre can be quite loose, and there's usually a lot of crossover. It's strange to think about why we - especially in the past few decades - have tried to categorise everything into certain genres, and then use the genres as guidelines for composing our own music.
Now that we have so many VSTs at our fingertips, it's easy to create some electronic ditty than can't be properly labelled "techno" or "minimal" etc. Furthermore, a lot of artists who compose techno, house, etc, start composing with the genre they want to explore in mind. They're usually led by a certain drum sound, tempo, rhythm, or a specific 80s/90s synth.
ANYWAY, rant over. I honestly can't think of anything except electronica or electronic regarding your song. But, you could always try and label it something completely fun and new? That's the beauty of the age we live in  Shrug
Thanks, and thanks for giving it a thorough try tho, and yea, I used to label my music like "hooptwang swing-doo" or "mumbosuperboo" etc., most of my tracks had such labels when I used soundcloud, because I think genres narrows things in to something it rarely is. Oh well.

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:14:42 PM »

"bad"

edit: i meant for my own music,

i think genre labels can be fun. i also think they're effectively useless outside of music service search engines. and even then.

i call my music "anti-pop," sometimes. sometimes it's "just" hip-hop. mostly i have no fucking idea. i'm never going to take categorizing it too seriously.
Well, let us do it for you then.. Let's hear this "bad" hip hop.. I have also made a pile of "bad" hip hop tunes, you see. So you just triggered my curiosity for realz brah  Noir

Garrett@Indaba
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:31 AM »

Hmmm, maybe you could call it "Psychadelic Electro Hip-Hop"  Wink
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 03:44:58 AM »

Hehe, yes, indeed. That's not a bad description Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:41:55 AM by 2mass » Logged

Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:32:46 AM »

i think drum and bass would be the closest genre tag that i can think of, even though it's not too fast
Chaotrope
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:59:25 PM »

https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope/glacia

I've been having problems tagging this piece of music I wrote. I usually tag it with what the song makes me feel, but as for the genre, all I can really ever say is that it has synths in it. I honestly have no idea what it would be and would appreciate some opinions.

Composer of music for a number of video games, including Deadpour: Tactics and Tuneria, a music-centered RPG. Author of Chaotrope songs on RockBand Network.

Stay up to date with my new music at https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 03:05:10 AM »

i think drum and bass would be the closest genre tag that i can think of, even though it's not too fast
Yea, there's some elements of that for sure.

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 03:08:14 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope/glacia

I've been having problems tagging this piece of music I wrote. I usually tag it with what the song makes me feel, but as for the genre, all I can really ever say is that it has synths in it. I honestly have no idea what it would be and would appreciate some opinions.
Nice track. I'm thinking "easy listening". Would suit a lot of games.

Here's a challenge, I think I went a bit overboard this time, dunno.. Anyway, if this is hip hop, then it's at least in the weird end of the scale.. Made for fun, for ccmixter, it's also perhaps the shortest piece I've ever made.. http://ccmixter.org/files/IngemannStrunch/54505

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic