Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 03:28:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioListening to your own music
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Listening to your own music  (Read 2260 times)
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2016, 03:28:48 AM »

Damn the other day I wrote a 30 sec loop and sat listening to it for like 30 mins. Does this happen to everyone?

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
FelixArifin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 05:54:12 AM »

Hahahaha all the time!! Weirder still is I listen back to tracks I made 5-6 years ago and think, DANG this is not too bad...

-Felix

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 05:55:02 AM »

Haha, yeah. I especially love listening to music I made a long time ago. It makes me happy to see how far I've come (and helps me take my mind off of how 'far behind' I am by so many others).

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 11:32:39 AM »

Totally. After rearranging the apartment, I came across my old 4track tape recordings from forever ago. They're so, so awful, but I enjoyed listening to them. We all need those little emotional reminders from time to time.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »

i make music to entertain myself sometimes, so yeah, i definitely do that.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »

I'm always improving at what I do, so really whenever I go back to experience my past work it's 90% cynically picking it apart to try and hear what I can do better.
And then I make something marginally better, and listen to that for at least twice as long as I spent working on it, jerking my ego and jam'n to my own groove.
Publish to soundcloud.
Wait a few days.
Repeat five times.
Feel bad all my works sucks.
Wait a six months, feel like I need to make something, go back to listen to my music for inspiration.
Repeat the whole process.

An artistic process so refined and pure it's an artform in itself.
Díoltas
Level 0

https://soundcloud.com/dioltasmusic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »

I get addicted to some stuff I write for weeks. One particular metal track I wrote last week I'm still listening to constantly ^^ and I just noticed a slight tiniest ever crackle from some clipping today, dammit ^^

Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 05:41:24 PM »

Seems like a common phenomena  No No NO

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 11:26:50 PM »

I tend to have most of the tracks I'm working on on my mobile device. Sometimes I listening to nothing else for days ^^.

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

Díoltas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »

The problem I find with this is that you get to know the track too much as it is in that particular version and you are then less and less likely to want to change anything in it later on. Can be a bad thing unless you leave it until the very final mix I find Smiley

stevobread
Level 0

Armageddon Cat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 04:01:55 PM »

Haha! It's funny because that's exactly what I'm doing right now.

But my main excuse for doing it is that I can figure out which parts I want to change. But also it helps to find what I think I did well in a particular piece that I would want to use in others.
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »

Hahaha YES! When I finish a new track it usually gets a lot of playtime for a day or two. It's like a temporary state of narcissism I guess.

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2016, 09:33:17 AM »

Definitely!  I'll listen to something new too much and too loud and as Díoltas says it can become the less improved final version that way as I won't want to change it and I'll up it to SoundCloud, listening there later to reflect and gather thoughts on life and junk. It's deep Tongue

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »

Hahaha YES! When I finish a new track it usually gets a lot of playtime for a day or two. It's like a temporary state of narcissism I guess.
This entirely sums up what I do. Often I get sick of my own tracks because I do this too much...

Díoltas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »

temporary?  Cheesy

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 11:17:12 AM »

I do it all the time, though I listen to my earliest stuff much less frequently due to how cringe-worthy I consider the production quality now.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 10:33:52 PM »

Not to sound like a downer, but I end up doing this a lot and I sort of hate it.  Unless it's purely for fun or for some sort of analytical purpose I think I'd be better off spending my time doing almost anything else! So I'm consciously working on eliminating it as much as possible. Writing a lot of music recently has helped quite a bit.

inwerp
Level 0

Cellist, indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 11:52:39 PM »

the problem for me is when i listening some track too much i stop hearing problems. my ears are masking possible clipping, rendering artifacts and balance problems. the solution for me is working on 3-4 tracks on mixing stage.
Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 11:36:13 AM »

I think it's incredibly valuable to take a listen to your work analytically, once it's been finished and take some notes for further improvement, maybe making comparisons to similar reference tracks. It's kinda nostalgic too, depending on how old the track is.

However listening to my own music too much while still in the creative stages I find can stunt the process. As people have mentioned, you kinda start listening to the track as a receiver of music instead of the composer and the state that it's in when you're listening to it becomes the final piece.
alexshines
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »

I'd have to agree. If i start listening too much during the creation process i find myself much less productive overall. I prefer the rough draft to be completed before I start analyzing where I went wrong. 100% of a decent start is better than 30% of perfection IMO  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic