Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:32:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel Fonts
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Fonts  (Read 2697 times)
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2016, 04:34:12 AM »

Sup guys! Here's just a lil thread where I'm going to post all of my pixel fonts.

This first image will be the current full collection.
The following image will be the latest week.
(After this week 6, I'll reply in the thread too with each new week's fonts).

I want discussion too! Reply with comments, critiques, questions- anything you want that's font related Smiley

ALL FONTS

WEEK 6

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you like what I have to offer. I'd love to see what fonts you guys can come up with too :D

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 05:55:21 AM »

Why does it look like there's JPG compression around some of these? It seems to happen mostly on the ones with a dark background. Or is that an intentional noise effect?

Also: These are nonetheless great! I'd use some of these as textures for dwarf fortress.

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 06:04:04 AM »

Why does it look like there's JPG compression around some of these? It seems to happen mostly on the ones with a dark background. Or is that an intentional noise effect?

Also: These are nonetheless great! I'd use some of these as textures for dwarf fortress.
Intentional. Since I'm first selling these (eventually) as sprite-sheets, I can't have these lying about as png's where people can just take em.

And thanks! Lemme know which ones you're lookin at in particular and I'll see if I can make you full sets Smiley

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 06:13:09 AM »

Posting to follow.

Your pixel font work is really inspiring. Go on! Smiley

You made me search for my attempts to create pixel fonts in my old backups. These are over ten years old (and were never finished). Including some weird characters everywhere. Roll Eyes

zoom x2
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 06:14:00 AM »

And thanks! Lemme know which ones you're lookin at in particular and I'll see if I can make you full sets Smiley

Seriously though the fifth one across looks like it'd make a really unique one

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 06:19:36 AM »

Seriously though the fifth one across looks like it'd make a really unique one
From the full collection image I presume. And you either mean the gothic one, or the 4th one over- the Artsy Thingy font Smiley That one?

Nice stuff zorg! I'm late for bed, but I'll give my thoughts later Smiley
(Also follow me on Twitter, link in sig, since I post the daily fonts there :D)

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 06:23:58 AM »

The lowercase gothic one yes Smiley

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »

I like your font collection but aren't you a bit worried about leechers? 
Because even with a jpg compression, it takes no time to convert them into png quality and use em for free.
how do your protect your work?

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 11:32:17 AM »

I like your font collection but aren't you a bit worried about leechers? 
Because even with a jpg compression, it takes no time to convert them into png quality and use em for free.
how do your protect your work?

If someone wants to spend the time recreating these, they can go right ahead, I'm not stopping them (but I will go after them if I can). But the compression will deter some people, and that's enough.

Plus, only Baskerville is an actual full set. Nothing else is. So good luck perfectly translating the style into the other 100 characters.

//BARCHboi
Level 0

Commodore Snes 64k

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 10:04:28 PM »

Are you thinking of selling these on itchio?

There are alot of font packs on itchio and I think your pack/style would be one of the better ones on the site if you were to do that.

Example being -

https://itch.io/game-assets/tag-fonts

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 10:50:43 PM »

Are you thinking of selling these on itchio?

There are alot of font packs on itchio and I think your pack/style would be one of the better ones on the site if you were to do that.

Example being -

https://itch.io/game-assets/tag-fonts
earlygames.itch.io Smiley
I'm almost set up, but nothing yet. And I'm across the country for two weeks starting next week. So bad timing of mine to get good at and demand for the fonts XD But feel free to follow- I'll be rolling out sprite-sheets (with some possible ttfs) soooon*

There should be individual fonts + style packs + collection pack bundles etc.

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 01:03:02 PM »

Sorry to ask but what is a "pixel font?" How does it differ from a regular one?
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 03:34:38 PM »

I assume he's referring to monospaced fonts with no antialiasing. That's what it usually means.

This is all I have to contribute. It was made as a font for my engine's debugger. It probably won't take a lot of sleuthing to guess where the inspiration came from  Embarrassed

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »

A "pixel font" is a non-vector font. Especially ones used in low-res games/art. They don't have to be monospaced, but the original ones back in arcade days were, since every part was divised into 8x8 or 16x16 tiles.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:01:12 AM by chriswearly » Logged

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2016, 11:57:07 PM »

ill repost mine here
cool.

And I'll post my (unsolicited) remaking of it Smiley

a) do you like it
b) if you do, you can have it
c) would you be interested in hearing why I made the changes that I did?

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 12:42:23 AM »

This is all I have to contribute. It was made as a font for my engine's debugger. It probably won't take a lot of sleuthing to guess where the inspiration came from  Embarrassed

Um, nope, I have no idea who inspired that. Who was it?

Looks nice, btw Smiley Simple 5x8

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 10:35:44 PM »

I'd love to hear more about the changes. I do like it but I'll still use mine just because haha

It seems like you set and followed more rules which makes the font more organized

Yeah. Basically I decided on a 2-wide stroke for everything (sans the lowercase) since the tiles are small. And with that decided it was just straight forward on how to make all the characters. A/V, M/W, H/I are all mirrors. Every letter in some form or another has an element from another. The lowercase are just a 6x6 (sans i,j,l,m,w) with a 1x stroke. Numbers probably could fill horizontally, but I felt they'd be better a little tighter. And then the symbols are self-explanatory.

But all throughout, I made sure to follow these 3 aspects: Legibility, Distinction, and Style. In that order is their importance.

First and foremost the font has to be legible. Then, and in part, each letter has to be different just enough from every other/similar letters. And lastly you can focus on giving the font style (aka personality).

Yours for sure has style. No doubt about that. But, it compromised in both Distinction and especially Legibility. A font/typeface's "first" objective is to provide easy reading to give the audience the delivered information. Keeping that in mind, and following those three aspects + lots of practice, and anyone can make a nice font in no time Smiley

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 10:43:53 PM »

Week 7 Smiley
Tell me all your thoughts!

Also, tonight going to California for two weeks. I'll do my best to keep up the font-making, but if I can't oh well Tongue

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:17:01 AM by chriswearly » Logged

Retro
Level 2

Matej Jan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 03:04:03 AM »

Beautiful collection!

Is the one in the bottom right (2nd from the right/bottom in the first post) based on my Retrotype? :D

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »

Beautiful collection!

Is the one in the bottom right (2nd from the right/bottom in the first post) based on my Retrotype? :D
I don't think you described the location right? In any case, yes it's a recreation of your Retrotype Smiley

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic