Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:58:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 72772 times)
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2016, 09:14:08 AM »

So says PC Gamer. I guess they kinda secretly gloat that the once untouchable paragon of console world finally falls in line. Not read it, does it say that Link now has to craft zillion items, has convolutedly branching conversations and lives ina na open world which is actually series of corridors? PC MASTER RACE!

Haven`t played a Zelda since the Wind Waker (that NDS one doesn`t really count). Halcyon times. Guess I`m kind of scared how the new gaming me (post open world and roguelike) would approach it now. Maybe best left alone in that old magical world.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »

Guess I`m kind of scared how the new gaming me (post open world and roguelike) would approach it now. Maybe best left alone in that old magical world.

you're in luck because it IS an open world game
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2016, 12:26:31 AM »

Well, Zelda was the original open world, Nippon style. What I mean is I`m not sure I want to try their new, Western take on it - if that`s what the new one is.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2016, 01:30:03 AM »

Well, Zelda was the original open world, Nippon style. What I mean is I`m not sure I want to try their new, Western take on it - if that`s what the new one is.

Well that's what Zelda has always been hasn't it ? A Japanese take on Western fantasy tropes. The difference from then and now is that it's more focused on taking inspiration from mechanics instead of of aesthetic and story beats. Even looking at it that way is somewhat of a stretch since it's also taking points from other Japanese games like Monster Hunter and Shadow Of The Colossus.

Life sucks and then you die.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2016, 01:43:08 AM »

3D Zeldas is like if Gothic 1 controls were considered classics.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2016, 02:23:27 AM »

lemme tell u my edgy and nonconformist opinions son
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2016, 04:51:11 AM »

The difference from then and now is that it's more focused on taking inspiration from mechanics instead of of aesthetic and story beats.

Back to square one.  If the above is true then I`m not sure that`s the Zelda I`m looking for. What`s the point of it becoming another cRPG-trope laden title?

The beauty and strength of Japanese games lied in the fact that they did things their way, resulting in something different and original. Then after the PS2 era a sustained backlash form both gamers and press occurred, with "Nippon sucks" motif, resulting in lots of confusion and trainwrecks like modern DMC and RE and also limited jRPG releases in the West.

All this might or might not has something to do with the new Zelda, which might or might not be an absolutely awesome game regardless upon release. The above is just a guy on the internets thinking out loud. You know, stuff that happens on forums sometime.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2016, 04:59:58 AM »

you should the watch the footage of the new zelda. it looks very "east meets west" to me, same ballpark as the souls series, xenoblade or dragon's dogma. definitely not like a pure western game. it is also very nintendo.
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2016, 05:21:31 AM »

I know it`s not a "pure" Western game. I`m just riffing on speculation, contained in this dumbass PC Gamer headline. I loved the old school Z for its charm, puzzle-driven gameplay and odd mechanics & systems. Nintendo has some genius designers and if they can make the new one work with new systems while retaining what made the old one great, then good on them but if it`s only to appeal to Western audience by token approach it might suck really badly.

I`m not sure I`d put the examples you mention in the same sack thou. Souls games are actually modernized King`s Field games, nothing new here. Xenoblade was a good blend of everything while Dogma on the other hand extremely confused one, great example of the Western bitchin influencing J-design. It had some great things but more truly awful ones - making my SP experience unbearable (heard it works better with online presence).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2016, 07:02:52 AM »

Souls games are actually modernized King`s Field games, nothing new here.

aside from the fact that this is not really true, king's field is also "western influenced". it's basically a japanese spin on ultima underworld.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: June 19, 2016, 08:10:02 AM »

I'm really excited about this game.  Open Worlds are something I like so much in theory but so rarely in practice.  But an open-world fantasy game with Zelda combat and the overall feel of a Zelda game (and hopefully the level design philosophy of a Zelda game, just modified to be open world) sounds great to me. 

My one concern is the climbing mechanic.  A large part of the appeal of Zelda for me is navigation puzzles.  ie. "Look at that thing over there... how do I reach it?" which seems like it might be trivialized by being able to climb on everything.  But I'll wait and see, they could find ways around it or different ways to make navigation puzzles in the environment.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 19, 2016, 08:12:01 AM »

Well the climbing is limited by the stamina meters, it is absolutely a puzzle, and the game is full of environment puzzle. In the video there was showcase of climbing fail and people tackling it in different way.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: June 19, 2016, 08:23:09 AM »

if y'all weren't aware: nigh all of contemporary japanese culture is western stuff run through a weird filter

even the ghibli aesthetics of this zelda is 90% miyazaki copying moebius and studying european architecture

sry to break it 2 u

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 19, 2016, 08:36:46 AM »

if y'all weren't aware: nigh all of contemporary japanese culture is western stuff run through a weird filter

even the ghibli aesthetics of this zelda is 90% miyazaki copying moebius and studying european architecture

sry to break it 2 u

true.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 19, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »

As if van gogh's painting, paper, black powder and porcelain isn't base on eastern influance, let's not talk about copying nintendo gameplay in video games since forever ...

Hate to break your western centrism Cool

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »

Yeah I mean the gun powder, compasses, sailing technology, and printing press that launched Europe into a position of global power were all just iterations on Chinese inventions, so

Anyway this game's gonna rock
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:09:59 AM by FK in the Coffee » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2016, 10:56:22 AM »

yeah who even cares if this game is true kvlt glorious nippon as long as it's good? and it looks VERY good.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2016, 11:20:28 AM »

As if van gogh's painting, paper, black powder and porcelain isn't base on eastern influance, let's not talk about copying nintendo gameplay in video games since forever ...

Hate to break your western centrism Cool

I see it more as cultural circle. The Japanese filter Western culture through their own sensibilities and we interpenetrate their stuff back into out respective cultures. Much like how American films influenced the French New Wave, only for the French New Wave stuff to influence American film directors.

yeah who even cares if this game is true kvlt glorious nippon as long as it's good? and it looks VERY good.

Also very much this.

Life sucks and then you die.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »

Only ~8 months, 27 days to go
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile