Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:21:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 71833 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 05, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »

Ubi soft has the license, made nintendo remove tetris for their version, their version lag and stutter on wii u ...

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 05, 2016, 12:08:26 PM »

but seriously, beside zelda, which game need open engine stuff?

mario is tight enough they can make big level without this level of open tech

metroid would have its purpose defeat (though that happen already with other m)

mario kart is a fucking racing game

star fox is on rail and even if go arena, it need tightness

pikmin? animal crossing? f zero? wave race? donkey kong? kirby? pokemon? punch out? rythm heaven? wario ware? duck hunt? ballon fight? excite bike? ice climber? dr mario? star tropic? mother? fire emblem? yoshi? pilot wing? mario paint? stunt race fx? mario rpg? hey you pikachu? 1080°? smash bros? mario sports/party? battalion wars? disaster day of crisis? art academy? paper mario?

splatoon? I don't really believe it

Open world Startropic made by retro studio <3
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 05, 2016, 12:31:55 PM »

I knew someone would notice despite it being hidden in a mass of word ...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 05, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »

just because zelda is open world dosenent mean they can't use the engine for non open world stuff.

anyway, to reiterate, super mario one hunrded and twenty-eight
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 05, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »

Yeah but what would be the benefit, they already have engine for that ...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 05, 2016, 01:52:42 PM »

NX compatibility maybe?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: July 05, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »

golden sun?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 05, 2016, 06:49:51 PM »

mario is tight enough they can make big level without this level of open tech

They could work on a more fleshed out overworld that would best represent a decent island (like in SMW) - OR, they could make Mario Galaxy 3 and ACTUALLY have Mario jump from one planetoid to another with the risk of missing gravity's pull and dying out in space (the evolved pitfall trope).

metroid would have its purpose defeat (though that happen already with other m)

Yea definitely. I wish Sakamoto had the balls to stick with his original vision and have Other M on-rails only. That would have kicked quite a bit of ass (story/plot ignored).
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: July 06, 2016, 12:52:48 AM »

Hmmm... Well, I don't know why I've been following this. I probably won't bother with getting an NX soon after it comes out unless I find one in a dumpster or something. Unless, of course, something drastically changes and the NX ends up shocking the world. I guess, though, that it's possible I might borrow or buy an NX later in it's lifetime when it's cheap just to play this game so it might be worth following, anyway.

I've actually been quite disappointed with it being advertised as open world. I'm especially bothered with how the concept of open world has basically become this sales tactic as of recent, and has been an excuse to make more massive games with more content but not necessarily good, refined, content. I can appreciate pulling of a massive open world from a technical level, but I think it's often used as an excuse for very sloppy design. It's also becoming a ridiculously saturated market at this point.

Skimming through the gameplay videos, however, it actually looks more fun than expected from an explorative point of view. Also, it has traits that, even with all the Skyrim comparisons, seem distinctively Legend of Zelda even with the more arbitrary ubiquitous tidbits like physics, etc. I do have to admit that it is gorgeous, but the actual areas look very spaced out and sort of empty. Which isn't a problem if you want that sort of mediative turn your mind off and wander randomly gameplay experience.

What little I'm seeing of puzzles is worrying, though. Puzzles, to me, are the focal point of Zelda. They're what really make the series interesting, and in a landscape where the mainstream market is so saturated with action and exploration they'll be doing something special if they can find a new and intuitive way to do them. I know that the approach to puzzles in the series was starting to get stale, but I don't like the idea of seeing it take a backseat entirely. Actually, the fact what little is shown of the puzzles in these gameplay videos seems like same old same old doesn't help. It's going to suck if they just take the same formula for puzzles, scatter them around, put large spaces between them, and allow you to do them in any order. That is just falling into the trap of most open world games of having tons of stuff to do but not a whole lot that is interesting.

I do remember some statements that they'd be approaching puzzles in a "different way". I have no idea what that means but my feeling is polarized between it being an extremely good thing and an extremely bad thing. I just hope by different way it's meant as a different way not different as, I fear, in terms of playing a much smaller role.

Also, I find it kind of funny how they're advertising it in the sense that they've shown a couple hours of gameplay and said it's only 2% of the world. Shows a stark shift in the gaming audience who, when Windwaker came out, through a hissy fit over the fact they had to sale over vast oceans(which seem microscopic in comparison to what you are promised to have to cross on foot or horse in this new edition). Something that didn't actually bother me much about that game, but seems kind of funny thinking about.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 06, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »

vast empty sea and new shiny things every 4 seconds of straight walk (timed by me) is not the same thing at all.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »

vast empty sea and new shiny things every 4 seconds of straight walk (timed by me) is not the same thing at all.

ya, plus with how interactive the environment seems to be it's not even close.

Actually, the fact what little is shown of the puzzles in these gameplay videos seems like same old same old doesn't help.

disagree. so far a lot of the puzzles they've shown seemed to actually make use of game's mechanics rather than using lots of switches and other "scripted" elements. that's new for the series. what i'm hoping for is puzzles with multiple solutions.

also i don't like the puzzles in the newer zelda games. skyward sword was the absolute low point imo. the puzzles were often trivially easy and you had to constantly walk back and forth across huge rooms just to push some switches. fuck those puzzles. the new zelda can't be different enough from that if you ask me.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 06, 2016, 01:50:30 PM »

One of the things I love about the new puzzles is that as your toolbelt grows larger, the ways you can approach each puzzle expand. The earlier Zeldas had some interesting puzzles, but most of them were very cut-and-dry in their solutions; there's only one way you can solve them. The open-endedness in BotW is a huge draw for me.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 06, 2016, 02:38:04 PM »

Yeah, it really is a breath of fresh wild air.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 12, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »

gimymblert
Level 10