Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:49:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 72899 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: March 26, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »

next you're gonna claim lucasfilm had planned the clone wars cartoons all along and didn't just extrapolate the whole thing from a meaningless flavour-adding remark in the first film pertaining to what was a generic cool sci-fi concept at the time

post a pic of your zelda timeline conspiracy wall

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:54 AM »

Considering the timeline and extrapolating aren't mutually exclusive, that's a sophism you made. They didn't PLANNED out teh whole timeline, they CONSIDER what they did when doing a new game to make a timeline.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 27, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »

i think there are cases where fans interpret every cameo/callback/repetition of a story motif as being part of some continuity.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 27, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »

They are case true, but what about the dev saying it himself?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: March 27, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »

zelda sequels I'm looking forward to playing:
saturated dreamers
rain world

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 27, 2017, 01:29:08 PM »

You mean prequel? they were in dev before BOTW

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: March 27, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »

did I say botw sequel

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 27, 2017, 01:43:15 PM »

rain world is separate timeline where rinku never returned
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 27, 2017, 01:55:47 PM »

did I say botw sequel
oups thread bleeding

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 29, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks' dungeon design | Boss Keys

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 29, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »

Flying over 3/4 of the map in paraglider (7,6km) Allowed to found the real size of the game
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1356085&page=3

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232922729&postcount=22

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 29, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »

just finished all the shrines

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 29, 2017, 10:37:02 AM »

Now finish the game under 46mn Shocked

Please make sure watching 480p from the setting. The auto setting is dumb. Sorry for the SD quality. I only have SD capture.
There are some new strats from the old video. Fall damage cancel, launching a boulder to Temple of Time, stamina upgrade skip and fast Calamity Ganon.

Japanese is 10 secs slower than German because of voice acting difference. Why do I use it then? Because i'm Japanese. :p
I didn't use Amiibos just because I don't have/like it. People use Smash Link Amiibo to summon Epona and Wind Waker Toon Link Amiibo to get fish for Lv3 potion. Probably saves about 1 min with them.
I know some people hate using Amiibos in speedruns but Any% is always no restrictions and it has been allowed in Zelda Speedruns community.
This is on Wii U version. Wii U has faster loading and about 30 secs faster than Switch in Any% speedrun.
FAQ:
Q: Why do you whistle / How do you sprint without stamina?
A: Whistle sprinting. Hold D-pad down and mash B. It's slightly slower than regular sprinting but no stamina.

Q: How do you cancel fall damage?
A: Fall damage cancel. Hold R in mid-air, let go of R near the ground and D-pad to change weapon/shield as soon as possible.

Q: What are you doing on the horse / How do you inifinite dash on the horse?
A: infinite Horse Spirinting. Hold ZL + ZR + A and press X. Link tries shield surfing and using a bow at the same time and get back to the horse immediately.
You need right timing for pressing X. Listen to the sounds of horse steps and press X at the same time.

Q: Isn't Paraglider skip possible with Stasis off Great Plateau?
A: No, it's not even close. There is the death plane which covers almost all places outside Great Plateau until getting Paraglider.
There is a small spot you can escape to Lake Hylia but if you leave from Lake Hylia, you void out.
Even if you wrong warp to the final boss, you still void out in the fight. It's unlikely to become possible.

Q: How do you stun-lock Calamity Ganon?
A: If you smash the ground with charge spin at the specific timing, it stuns him again. I uploaded a video for it before.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sva161620/videos
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 10:43:47 AM by gimymblert » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »

Q: Isn't Paraglider skip possible with Stasis off Great Plateau?
A: No, it's not even close. There is the death plane which covers almost all places outside Great Plateau until getting Paraglider.
There is a small spot you can escape to Lake Hylia but if you leave from Lake Hylia, you void out.
Even if you wrong warp to the final boss, you still void out in the fight. It's unlikely to become possible.

i still don't understand the rationale for this tbh. seems so contrary to everything else in the game which is all about player freedom and soft restrictions.

maybe they wanted to make sure players learned the game and got the runes before they ventured off into the Real World(tm), but i don't think most first time players (other than gimmy lol) would have tried to climb down anyway.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 29, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »

Yes they wanted to keep the player trained, as I have said they didn't back down on the tutorial section, they made bigger and funnier and basically did a bit of "PR speak". Basically they had bet that if they could fool you it wasn't a tutorial section player will not complain about the necessary stuff. So player freedom is very much as much as reason allow, which to be frank, is the only hard limit they imposed with the outer invisible wall (they do have some smaller hard limit like you need the zora tunic (which allow to chokepoint some story there too) to reach the boss of Zora's I think, not there yet).

The freedom is not really important anyway, that's PR, it's really a game about preparation and the freedom is just a tool for that, You start nake then they give you cloth to put on (ie it teach you to prepare yourself), that's also why you start without a weapon and must find some on ground and why they break, that's why the world is stuff with recipe to pick, and cooking, and looking for cloth, and looking for runes, and liberating the beast, and doing the shrines, and looking for korok seed, none of that make you more free or "more powerful", they make you "prepare", it's freedom as in a supermarket to prepare a party, sure you can buy whatever you want, but it will all be for the party. Even the story is about preparation, you slept because you were not prepared, ganon is out beause people where not prepared, zelda's story is all about preparation and reviving the beast was about preparing for the return of ganon. Gta is more about freedom (in system, not story or setting).

And the game is still hand holdy, it just hold your hand in the direction YOU want to go with subtle nudge to make you feel like YOU made it! lol Everything is a puzzle and everything is a careful "stumble". Part of that is to make many thing optional THEREFORE hidden so the player feel smart when they discover it, ie instead of having the game surexploiting the basic move set, you have many sugar fluff that can act as convenience or toys to customize the situation.

I mean they tell you what to do verbatim (go to shrine, go to ganon), but instead of having complex varied objective they multiply the requirement (which allow out of order sequence) and made even more optional so you don't really feel it was important RELATIVELY. Instead of saying go to A, B, and C, the game tell you go to C however you want, then tell you A lead to B and B lead to C, you put 2 and 2 together and you feel smart lol, then it casually toss a also there is B' and then add a hidden (but heavily signposted) B" to let you feel smart when you discover it (all according to keikaku).

Not only it tells you everything mandatory, it tell you that in multiple way at every occasion (for example many recipe have basically the same function and that pop up text is just different flavor of the same thing, and you see that pop up a lot, every time you have a new recipe variant. For example the game don't tell you right away how to shield board, but they are smart they put it all other the marketing to be sure that it is there and that you will look for it lol.

The game pretend it's hard and you are on your own, but it's really like kids on a playground under the watchful eye of an adult, ie in case of problem you can always rely on them to intervene, so you can go reckless, whenever you hurt yourself you can retreat to them and they are there to stuff you with candy and hugs and let you pretend you are big independent boy, but you will never run out of weapon or potion or whatever, it doesn't need dynamic difficulty, it let the player gauge it's own recklessness.

I'm playing the game using a naked run (currently onto gerudo's cold mountain) but I don't find teh game any more difficult that regular zelda, enemy have a diversity of move that's all smoke and mirror, yeah some avoid the bomb or kick it, or do a lot a dancing around, how much of an impact it has on how you defeat them? the base tactic always works let them exhaust themselves then strike when they taunt you, like old zelda game, except they replaced waiting with more role play for the monster to keep you entertained (lynel are fucking poser). If you want to beat enemy use the weapon of the area and he go down with the same amount of hits than in weaker area with weaker weapon.

The key insight was to decouple attack progression and defense progression, with a soft time gate with attack using constant consumable to be sustained, I guess this could work for defense too. Most situation, aside from both are never a real threat, you can just run away, in fact just walking away works, enemy pause when hitting and it's enough to get out of their attack radius, combat only seems hard when you stay in that radius and they one shoot you with their comically long tell (except lazer, but that's shock value, and it's easily counterable by learning only one skill).

That game is god damn genius, it's all prestidigitation, it's literally Oz before you discover the trick. The thing is while other game start with a no fun basic state where you progressively the fun, the game makes his basic core fun and hide the funnier move so you can feel even more amazement when you discover them.

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: March 30, 2017, 02:11:52 AM »

This "player freedom" line really winds me up. I've run into practically every invisible wall in the game.

I'm just one of those people who always does what the designer doesn't want, so I've been up mountains and waited for half an hour for the rain to stop and it won't - why? - because that's this game's version of an invisible wall. There's loads of gating mechanics that stop you from doing stuff and I keep butting up against all of them. I can chop down trees but not tree houses - but look up there! Why don't you shoot through this rope? So inconsistent! The hype is constantly going, "you can do anything!" and the game is like, "hey, no, not that way, that doesn't work."

I appreciate the depth they've put into it. Some of it is a real joy to discover, like whacking a tree with something blunt and picking up all the apples.

But no, this whole - you can do anything. Nope.

-

And the story. Jesus. Most people in my office I talk to have missed loads of vital information because everyone just repeats stuff or just spouts tutorial.

-

So yeh. 8/10
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2017, 02:36:08 AM »

You can do more than in most other games (games with defined goals at any rate), is the point. Plus it combines this openness with a meaningful sense of progression without relying on a linear main questline while largely avoiding the issue of grind that plagues most rpgs. There are very few games like that out there and most of them are ancient janky crpgs.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:24 AM »

The funny thing is that Skyrim is more about "freedom" because the world don't wait on you to solve its problem (even though they won't solevit and just wait, and you happen to be a perfect fit for it lol). What I mean is that skyrim is based on the illusion than things happen and you stumble into it and choose or not to engage, you can choose to be a vampire or not. In skyrim it's about freedom of BEING, you make your class, you forge weapon, all of that is about BEING, everything is there to make sure you can construct a ROLE for yourself (the quality of the execution is debatable though). Skyrim is divergent.

Zelda is all about DOING and you have a very defined role you cannot change, you have option on how you implement that role, but ultimately you don't have to "choose", ie nothing close because you go one way, all options are always available at all time. Zelda is convergent.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 30, 2017, 08:25:58 AM »

send me an e-mail when its decided that its worst zelda game to date
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 31, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »

Glorious 4k + mod incoming

Zelda Breath of the Wild on PC | Update 4 | BIG THINGS