Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:00:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38
Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 72757 times)
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: April 18, 2017, 02:23:33 AM »

Combat was getting me down till I started farming for armour upgrades. Then the whole game took a Witcher 3 turn and I was able to squeeze quite a lot more to do out of it.

Yiga clan advice I've discovered is all bollocks. They attack me even whilst climbing in remote parts of the world. There's nothing you can do to get rid of them, no method of travelling or location is blocked to them (other than shrines of course). No behaviour reduces or increases the number of attacks - other than avoiding talking to strangers, which gives me less reason to do quests than the shitty story already gave me.

Then again. With 3 stamina wheels and upgraded armour I've passed the point where things can easily gank me. There's a fine line in this game between having a great time and having a truly miserable time. Reminds me of Hearthstone - if you play too much you're fine, if you don't, fuck you.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 18, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »

I'm playing with 3 heart, naked ans base stamina, and they pose no problem especially since they drop arc that throw 2 arrows and I have BOMB arrow, poor thing in the game can't even begin to know what's happening, arrow are OP in this game once you combine 5xBow + shock arrow + bomb arrow + sniping bow for headshot. See this white lynel? BOOM! magic! There is no lynel! I do't even restock because I avoid social gathering place.

The game give you all sorts of way to cheese it in fun way if you take the time to experiment.

st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: April 19, 2017, 01:09:16 AM »

That's essentially the problem I'm having. Either you're privileged and you know the secret so you get to be a smug prick about it or you get to eat a bag of salt because you don't know.

I'm more used to the endless buckets of minimal challenge ice cream that Skyrim and Witcher 3 fed me.
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 19, 2017, 06:17:13 PM »

I've got a massive pile of elemental weapons are that just way too fun to use. My inventory is always too small...

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 20, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »

That's essentially the problem I'm having. Either you're privileged and you know the secret so you get to be a smug prick about it or you get to eat a bag of salt because you don't know.

I'm more used to the endless buckets of minimal challenge ice cream that Skyrim and Witcher 3 fed me.

I don't know about that, there is no secret, the game is pretty self explanatory! It reward experimentation and it's not so much to try the more powerful ammo on the more powerful enemy to bring it down! And the game establish by itself that headshot are devastating, it's like putting 2x2 together.

I think the problem is that other games have trained the player to expect less by having all sort of exception in clever used of mechanics, so player get confused when they play BOTW and all these "secret" that are just the basic gameplay.

I'm so confuse when I read stuff when people say you can't do something and the game clearly tells you you can!

But after that video comparison with horizon and BOTW I see how this can happen, game use to be so little interactive after all! Years of COD having agent that open the doors for you and uncharted punishing you when you go offscript by sudden death, have really trained player to not think with gameplay at all, so much that basic thing in BOTW are actual exploit in other games.

How old are you? Maybe it's also just me being glad video games come back to what they used to be, at least console games, but I'm sure there is a bigger simulationist tradition in pc game with gale like deux ex. I mean it's not even a "secret" on the level of zelda Alltp where once frozen, you had to use the hammer to get magic refill spawning from enemy ...

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 22, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »

Okay real talk, to make that weapon degradation more bearable to people, I think it should have been a progression in itself, aka degrading weapon give you unique resources that are useful to craft a perfect version of that weapon type, ie a rechargeable weapon like the master sword and hylian shield.

Bad_Dude 2017
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 22, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »

that would give an incentive to grind weapons down on purpose
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 22, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »

It makes:
- combat less punishing to some player (losing weapon),
- it makes stronger enemy important (wear weapon faster),
- make the blood moon more important (you can't grind if enemy isn't respawn) so it promote actually going through different camp in one cycle (you can't grind one zone indefinitely),
- and especially if you have to build intermediate weapon (aka you get only basic weapon on terrain and must craft higher tier, and only the tier below give you resource for tier above), which let you have a sense of progressing into power.

I would also dissociate weapon from elementary damage, they need to be craft separately and be associated with weapon in crafting.

edit:
Also recharging weapon encourage rotation, and keep weaker weapon relevant.

You can also prevent breakage of weaker tier by feeding them weapon of lower tier, but you don't get the material to craft higher weapon.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:18:29 AM by gimymblert » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 22, 2017, 11:43:36 AM »

the game should have craftable temporary elemental weapon buffs imo, that's the only thing i would change about the weapon system
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: April 23, 2017, 02:05:34 AM »

This is a long vid but it points out something crazy broken with damage and armour. The devs opted for subtractive armour. So you can exceed the value of damage given enough upgrades, as opposed to Pokemon where it's a bunch of ratios. It's the same problem I've had recently GMing Dungeon World, which also subtracts armour from damage and stops there - you eventually end up with invincible players that you have to be a meanie to in order to keep it a challenge.

I disagree with a bunch of points in there, the camel beast I found miserable to do and I really enjoyed the flying beast.

It's also kind of funny how I'm at the point where I've levelled up past any friction the game has to offer and I'm happier, but this is where hardcore players like this youtuber find fault.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 02, 2017, 08:26:26 AM »

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 02, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/
Trial of the Sword
When you get to a certain sacred location, you can take on the new "Trial of the Sword" challenge. Face an onslaught of enemies, one wave after another. Link starts the challenge without any equipment or weapons. When all the enemies in a room are defeated, Link proceeds to the next. Clear all the trials (about 45 rooms in total), and the true power of the Master Sword will be awakened, and it will always be in its glowing powered-up state while usable.
Hero's Path Mode
This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay. Use the time tracker bar to see where you've spent the most time and where you have yet to explore. There's bound to be more adventures and maybe a shrine or two on the road less traveled.
Hard Mode
In Hard Mode, enemies gradually regain health, so take them out as quickly as possible. All enemies are also powered up by one level. For example, Red Bokoblins in Normal mode are now Blue Bokoblins. Enemies can also have higher maximum levels than they would in Normal mode. Look up, and you may also find enemies and treasure chests in the sky!
Travel Medallion
Somewhere in the world, there is a chest with a Travel Medallion inside. When you use this, you can register your current location as a fast travel point on the map. You can only register one location using the Travel Medallion.
More Armor
There are 8 treasure chests placed around Hyrule containing armor themed after previous The Legend of Zelda titles. Watch for tips as to the whereabouts of these chests as you travel around Hyrule.
Korok Mask
The Korok Mask is also hidden in a treasure chest somewhere in the world. While wearing this mask, it shakes whenever Link is near a hidden Korok location. There are 900 Koroks hiding in Hyrule, so this should help you discover quite a few of them.

DLC Pack 1 is just a taste of the content included in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass. For more information about additional features, price, and how to purchase, visit the Expansion Pass page.
http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/expansion-pass/

No playable zelda Sad

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 02, 2017, 08:35:59 AM »

Darksiders 3 Official Reveal Trailer – IGN First

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: May 02, 2017, 12:06:16 PM »

gimmy that is a stretch even by your standards

also, i have zeldo now and it is indeed very good

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 02, 2017, 01:10:46 PM »

I shared horizon here, so if you like zeldo here are alternatives too. There is little zeldo clones coming out (though darksider tend to move away now from this influence).

Also language comparison from the new languages selections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y01qt08XIK0?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWz07RHnk6w?
Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Hold On to These! (ALL WEAPONS THAT DON'T RESPAWN)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:19:47 AM by gimymblert » Logged

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: May 03, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »

i switched to japanese yesterday and i still haven't seen any voiced dialogue in the past 12 hours of play lol

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 12, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »

115h in I try to beat my first lynel at the coliseum. They happen to not be hard but can kill me in one shoot due to "naked 3 hearts base stamina". And the issue with the game start to show pretty much heavily, I know in advence when I will die and don't feel it's my fault.

Lynel are fucking flurry bait, just stand in front of them and do a backflip when their huge tell show itself, that's where thing break down badly ...

Apparently lynel have a center of mass on their front hip, the whole body have a general direction but the torso can have a different direction. Flurry rush seems to have a cone just in front of the lynel, based on his center of mass from the direction of the body. As long you are in this cone AND do a backflip in the opposing direction of the point of the cone, you are fine. That's why sometimes the flurry don't register, and that's the crux of the problem, you need a perfect storm of camera angle (so the backflip don't become a side step) and right position in front of the lynel, the thing is that input are relative to cam AND the lynel adjust his body before hitting AND link turn himself to face the lynel center of mass AND the torso might have a different direction than the body, all these parameter mean you will often be just outside of the cone or/and the input threshold toward side step, basically I'm dead when there is an oblique angle because it's inconsistent, happen in a fraction of second and there is no other escape ....

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 14, 2017, 01:54:50 AM »

mcflurries are a poorly implemented mechanic so i never bothered much with them.

the actual easy strat against lynels is to freeze them with the time freeze rune, hit them from behind, dodge until the rune's cooldown is over, rinse and repeat.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 14, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »

But you have the upgrade, I don't have it, I can't freeze enemy lol, Flurry is nearly useless against typical enemy when they are many of them and they have a faster timing than boss enemy.

Flurry fail when you are too close most of the time because the cone is too narrow upclose. Also I didn't mention it but I wanted to beat him with two handed weapon, which mean I could have relied on shield with one handed, but the two handed where the stronger weapon, which kind of made the situation worse because switching to shield can be problematic in tight windows frame (b), especially when you have to reposition to not die because flurry misangled (b is also run, and when you run even for one frame the shield don't go out after that, you have to relock and doing so you can't flurry, you'll die). Also you can't flurry when picking the bow, you can't even backflip (that's enough to dodge) the puny jump he does is guarantee death. I also died so many time because 115h in I still confuse jump button on y or a ;(

I recognize there is many way to approach the fight, it's just that this style expose some problem lol

DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:21 PM »

FINALLY beat BotW! Glad to have it over with as it was kinda consuming my life... At least 155 hours of it.

Still processing all my feelings on it but goddang was it amazing.

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic