Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:41:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38
Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  (Read 72801 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 07, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »

He was commenting on the emulation, the wiiu is emulated , 6 years after released.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 08, 2017, 02:58:26 AM »

as an aside i would like to point out that emulation isn't simply a question of raw hardware power. there are a ton of other factors such as hardware complexity, documentation and just generally ease of reverse engineering. consoles that use more custom hardware tend to be harder to emulate. also many newer ("newer" meaning post-16bit era) console emulators use "high level emulation" instead of actually modeling the original hardware, which means better performance but much less accuracy.

the n64, which had the most powerful console gpu of its time, already had a working (playable!) emulator in 1999, but we're only now seeing the beginnings of working low level emulation of the system.
redredred
Level 0

Colorful worlds

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 08, 2017, 05:20:19 AM »

I just got a Switch 2 days ago, and man did Zelda just take over my whole day. There's something about it...Something I can't put a finger on until I really think about it, but there's something different about the way Nintendo is executing BOTW that's so different from everyone else. I'm actually engaged and want to know more.

Usually, and especially in FO and Elder Scrolls, I'd just enjoy everything for a while, shoot up things, make a mess, then realize all the subquests are just more of the same(Fetch quests, Kill Quests)and realize along the way that the game probably wont get any better than what I'm seeing at this moment. Maybe the I'll get higher stats, and monsters will be relatively harder to take out, but it'll just be generally the same experience.

In BOTW, I think there's this sense that there's something greater, much cooler stuff out there.

I mean, that's just my opinion. I dunno about you guys.
SchriefFighter
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 08, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »

That's actually a great way to describe it. This truly is a grand world, and there's a lot of love and detail that was put into it.

I'm going to be tackling the DLC soon myself.
st33d
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: July 13, 2017, 06:40:11 AM »

Usually, and especially in FO and Elder Scrolls, I'd just enjoy everything for a while, shoot up things, make a mess, then realize all the subquests are just more of the same

In BOTW, I think there's this sense that there's something greater, much cooler stuff out there.

Funny thing is, it does do a lot of samey annoying stuff in the same manner as Elder Scrolls. But it also has a shit load of set pieces, so gameplay tends to go, "same old, same old, same old, WTF!!111!!??"
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: July 13, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »

Also there is moment where you can turn around the same old when you realize you can just do something new ourself or realize you could do something you didn't know.

Also playing with 3 hearts, no upgrade, no cloth, makes it it's never the same old. For example going though death mountain without protection gave the level design a new punch, finding the village to buy the cloth was an adventure. Traversing the desert or snow top was something special.

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 14, 2017, 04:52:01 AM »

4th maze?

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 14, 2017, 06:24:34 AM »

Playing this since the last weekend.

It's very good.
Very good.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 14, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »

@smerik
Reuse of map for out of bound terrain to minimize graphic memory impact

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: July 15, 2017, 04:51:50 AM »

Best buy had one switch left in stock so I impulse bought it...after a few hours of playing...well...I like it, game is a solid 7/10 but man it has some annoying issues.

Thoughts on the switch:
1. The controller sucks, the buttons feel like they were made for 2 year olds with tiny fingers.  I ended up buying a pro controller just to play it...the stock button layout is god awful too, and the shoulder buttons are almost as uncomfortable to use as the GBA SP's were
2. The pro controller sucks too, it's a HUGE improvement but it's button layout makes it pretty uncomfortable to hold, especially in zelda you have to constantly move your hand off the thumbsticks to even be able to reach the D-pad, and you have to use the d-pad ALL the time, thankfully there's controller adapters for the system to plug in dualshock 4's to it. It's basically a more-shitty xbox 360 controller.
3. I kinda like that it's portable, so I could technically use it on a flight, but man the thing is big for a portable, I'd have to get another laptop case just for it and all it's parts.

Thoughts on zelda:
1. I enjoy difficulty but everything being able to oneshot you early game is kinda harsh, especially since...
2. the load times really suck, many are really..really long, especially when going from a shrine to the overworld
3. the graphics pop-in distance for enemies and some items is super super low and extremely visible, also if you run up on a building quick and go inside quickly often the people inside don't load until you're in and just blink into existence in front of you.
4. the jagged, un AA'd graphics are actually kinda jarring on a large screen, it's just putting out upscaled 900p so pretty much everything has pixelated jagged edges.
5. the weapon durability in this game is the worst thing ever, it's great when you do an entire side puzzle for a really cool sword inside a shrine and it freaking breaks after killing two moblins with it.  I've actually literally run out of weapons and had to teleport away and find more before progressing a few times.
6. the "blood moon" is a little cool, but could have been amazing if it had the face from the moon in majora's mask Tongue
7. the starting stamina is ridiculously low... I can run and climb more than link can IRL, but i guess we could just assume it's 100 years of muscle atrophy causing it.
8. the quest markers kinda ruin the whole feeling of exploration, i wish the main quests you had to scout out and find like with the shrines, i mean, you talk and someone gives you directions to follow some road then go right at xxxxxx  then the game literally just plops a pin on the exact quest location in a blank area of your map that you've never been to. Scouting from the tower or a cliff/tree and marking areas you want to go to with the scope is a FANTASTIC MECHANIC and it's a shame they just completely bypass that for the quests.
9. it's kinda weird that they just pile on all your main "powers" right up front
10. the magnet is freaking great, it's a little buggy and exploitable too, you can actually fly anywhere with the thing by scooping up something youre standing on with something you're holding with the magnet. (you can't pick up the thing you're on, but you can "push" the thing you're on into the sky with something else.)
11. the physics engine is hilarious and the interaction of things like halt, magnet, and ice makes it 1000x more hilarious. didn't take me long to figure out how to launch things like a hundred feet straight up like a rocket and just glide wherever i wanted to go.
12. the voice acting is pretty cringeworthy, and the tone really doesn't fit the game. I just don't feel it was necessary and takes more away from the game than it adds, I would have been perfectly fine with a few grunts or a "hey" and a textbox over someone "trying" to sound dark and edgy in a voiceover in a zelda game...
13. the combat is fairly good but compared to most earlier 3d zelda games it's definitely a step backwards
14. the inventory screen and slate have possibly the worst UI control scheme ever.
15. i hate having to go around and manually loot all the items, especially things like arrows and crafting stuff...it's already gotten kinda tedious having to kill all the enemies then go back and loot the area, why not just pull everything into me when you walk nearby like previous 3d zelda games did?!?!
16. god i wish i could swap button layouts, with how much you have to jump in this game jump being on y is frustrating.

-Fuzzy Spider
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 15, 2017, 07:13:50 AM »

why not just pull everything into me when you walk nearby like previous 3d zelda games did?!?!
WTF what? never happen in any zelda ever!

8. the quest markers kinda ruin the whole feeling of exploration, i wish the main quests you had to scout out and find like with the shrines, i mean, you talk and someone gives you directions to follow some road then go right at xxxxxx  then the game literally just plops a pin on the exact quest location in a blank area of your map that you've never been to. Scouting from the tower or a cliff/tree and marking areas you want to go to with the scope is a FANTASTIC MECHANIC and it's a shame they just completely bypass that for the quests.
Go to option and activate pro mode and never look bqck, deactivate the shrine locator stuff too, once you get the habit you can't come back because damn it make things pop to be on constant alert. And there is environmental clue you start to pick too (birds in the sky *cough* *cough*).

12. the voice acting is pretty cringeworthy, and the tone really doesn't fit the game. I just don't feel it was necessary and takes more away from the game than it adds, I would have been perfectly fine with a few grunts or a "hey" and a textbox over someone "trying" to sound dark and edgy in a voiceover in a zelda game...
Change the voice in the menu, latin language are really popular, keep the subtitle.

5. the weapon durability in this game is the worst thing ever, it's great when you do an entire side puzzle for a really cool sword inside a shrine and it freaking breaks after killing two moblins with it.  I've actually literally run out of weapons and had to teleport away and find more before progressing a few times.

Don't teleport, you will start using the opportunity throw at you and approach combat differently, it's like playing darksouls like you play other hack and slash, once you start observing, planning and improvising, you can beat literally anything naked with 3 hearts or base stamina (also climb everywhere even in the rain). You can make enemy hit each other, use the environement against them, make them modify the environment against them, learn their quirk and rythm, use stealh WAY more (I think they nerf some aspect because of that, the one on one lock on battle vs multiple enemy is guarantee death, also no lock on for bow), learn when to switch weapon (especially bow, you can't flurry or super dodge with the bow), plan to steal their weapon and take range enemy first. Use those goddamn chu chu gelly too, they are proximity mine, don't forget tree can fall and do damage, especially on a hill.

I mean seriously teleporting remove all the fun

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: July 15, 2017, 07:54:40 AM »

I mean for the teleporting I've literally been stuck in areas where i cannot progress or acquire weapons nearby because I don't have a weapon or arrows, the things i was trying to kill bombs did literally no damage to and I had no arrows either. (and I went there with a full inventory of swords, they ALL broke fighting my way in :/ )  I know on some enemies you can parry or bomb to get their weapons but I've run into a few instances (mostly in shrines) where it was impossible and I had to back out and get a whole new load of weapons to progress. I just don't understand why the weaponsmiths in hyrule had to make everything out of paper mache.

As for picking up items, Ocarina of time, Majora's mask, wind waker, twilight princess, etc you only had to be extremly close to so your hitbox touches an item to pick it up, you didn't actually have to stop and press A to pick up arrows or bombs. In most zeldas your sword swing or ranged weapons also picks up items

-Fuzzy Spider
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 15, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »

Items; Oh I see, I thought you meant like other game, but the pick up in botw is rather generous too, they did that because there is a bigger aspects of management and scarcity I guess. I tend to walk mashing the pick button anyway.

Enemy: Are you playing in hero mode? If not I want to get where you get stuck to see!

I don't stock weapon and don't have the space for (no inventory upgrade) I never have been in such situation and find the game easy, and I don't think I'm a hardcore player either. Don't forget you have stasis and magnet (still not upgrade for me so I can't use them on enemy). The only enemy that pose me problem are the big guardian. I have only traverse the hyrule castle field lol, having 3 guardian running after me is kind of hard (I'm weak to range and they have a lot of hp).

I do like weapon damage, I would also do with slower degradation and no degradation when interacting with some switch. But I would like degradation on armor too and maybe a bit more weapon crafting at key place.

IMO if you rely too much on direct damage you will use up everything too much, bomb aren't just to make damage either, they are distraction tools, when in stealth I always send a bomb to smart enemy in such a way they start football together lol, I also use bomb to make enemy outside of the navmesh, or use fire to create wall to divide and conquer, etc ... Don't forget to use those flint's rocks, they create fire when hit, useful to create impromptu fire in the middle of the battle when you don't have chuchu jelly.

You can also use the old "kit the enemy away from the group".

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #713 on: July 15, 2017, 02:57:24 PM »

Enemy: Are you playing in hero mode? If not I want to get where you get stuck to see!
it was some of the northern shrines i had the most issues with, had to fight a bunch of stuff going up the hill to them so all my stuff was pretty beat up, then fighting the mini-bosses inside the shrines I would parry and attack and break my weapons instantly :/ I've twice in some shrines ran into running out of weapons and having nothing inside nor near the shrine to get new weapons from, and a mob that can't be disarmed and for some reason the bombs don't really do anything to them.  I'm literally upgrading nothing but weapon storage and it definitely helps. I've also had issues with the blue bokoblins, bombs only take off like 1/10 their hp so when i run out of weapons fighting them I pretty much just have to leave and go back and farm more weapons. I'm pretty sure im not in hero mode but every single enemy except archers seems to do 4 hearts of damage minimum, and since i have 4 hearts i pretty much have to just chain perfect dodges and parrys all the time. (though it sucks when you're mid parry and a bokoblin you don't even see throws a rock at you, breaking your steel shield (?!?!) making you instead of epic parry reflect you just get a laser to the face and instadie.)

at least i keep finding glitches though, so far i've figured out how to infinitely sprint ignoring the annoying stamina bar, launch myself a zillion feet into the air so i can glide over shit, and fly.

-Fuzzy Spider
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 15, 2017, 04:51:41 PM »

lol I haven't find those glitch dang!

I had forgot combat shrine, effectively you wouldn't have a lot of margin with them, I never been in that case where I had no weapon to fight them but pretty close, I can consistently parry when they charge at me and flurry rush them though.

I never use parry and flurry at normal enemy, I just can't get it right lol, I reserved that to lynel, and they are slow enough that simply strafing is enough to get behind them, I also stock arrow on archer by baiting them (each give 5 arrows then after that it start to break on contact). I basically do a lot of recon first lol, and that involve running right in the middle of the camp to test their might before retreating and observing more lol (in case archer have dang bomb arrow.

Another tactics, cut wood, make fire, wait for the night, then stealth kill them (8x the damage).

I also have some utility weapon I keep and never use for fight like cold and fire weapon (to deal with weather or light stuff).

Also tips, if you have all your hearts you can't die on one hit (except elemental weapon which give a second elemental hit, or ragdoll damage), you ware always left with one quarter, which give you time to eat food (I only do 3 hearts food, cooking double all raw food hearts).

Smerik
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 18, 2017, 03:31:35 AM »

@smerik
Reuse of map for out of bound terrain to minimize graphic memory impact

Ah thats so clever!

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #716 on: August 06, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »

i keep picking it up now and then to play more, honestly mostly because i just spent so much money on a switch + the game i almost feel like i SHOULD beat it now, but gotta say this is definitely my least favorite zelda game in the entire series, but then again I also didn't like skyrim and oblivion, and mostly for the same reasons, boring and repetitive.

-Fuzzy Spider
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:16 PM »

DAMN, but muh freedom!

Seriously, what do you think of the witcher3?

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 07, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #719 on: August 07, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »

DAMN, but muh freedom!

Seriously, what do you think of the witcher3?
I didn't like the witcher 3, at least not as a whole. I enjoyed the "CSI" portion of it where you're trying to determine what you're up against and figure out what happened, seriously more games things like that, but the terrible combat system, boringly easy gameplay, dumb generic quests/bland world/kinda lame main story dragged it way down.  I think i filled like two pages in it's thread on what i liked and didn't, lol.

also, that gif...yeah, that's  one of the more tame things you can abuse the physics with in BOTW. Here's a fun one, stack two boxes, freeze time on the bottom one, whack it a bunch then quickly get on the top one and...well....you'll see. Oh, and you know that big flying bird/fortress you always see in the sky?  It has no collision, you can go straight through it (I've been there), but it DOES have a zone tag when you get close to it. There's also a crate-sized spot somewhere in the middle of it that has collision for some reason.  I might just superman my way into hyrule castle early after loading up on another 20 fresh weapons and 200 healing items just so i can say i beat the game....

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic