Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:10:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs× 3571 The Game × Procedural apocalypse simulator ×
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: × 3571 The Game × Procedural apocalypse simulator ×  (Read 17599 times)
Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »

Hey, interesting camera point of view. Features look nice. And so the characters. They look like PlayMobil. Really nice work!

I really appreciate and respect your dedication to this project over so long. I really love the unique projects like this, carried along by passion and love.

Tears of Joy
I can neither thank you enough for this nor explain how much it matters.
And you know what! Thanks to you too this is my 100th reply!  Toast Right

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2019, 10:51:00 AM »

This v0.85 « Performance Update »
will get your computer a huge framerate boost and eradicate all lags : a thousand enemies won't be an issue anymore.

Faster Engine I : Unity 2018
Why so much time before a new update? Except the fact that I’m a solo developer with a full-time job, it’s mainly because I needed to switch to new Unity’s version for further development of the game, compatibility issues and of course, performance.

I won’t relate you here how painful and hazardous it is to update a game started 6 years ago with built-in functions that are for the most now deleted and lots of changes in the way the software manages some main game functionalities.

To be short, when a new version is out, Unity automatically updates all your files the best it can, then you game opens with a thousand of red alerts telling you that half of your scripts won’t be able to work like they used to and that your game doesn’t work anymore. Of course, these scripts are connected to all the others, leading to nights of coding and puzzle-resolving. You also need to learn a bit about all new functions to make sure you’ll get the best of Unity.

Faster Engine II: A.I.
To manage more enemies than ever without freezing your screen, every single A.I. decision or action is now executed in a controlled order which avoid overheads.

When you start playing in a procedurally generated world in 3571 The Game, each building, physical object, resource and NPC is already generated too and their respective behaviors are updated every frame, just like the player. This leads to lots of unusual stories, emerging from the random positions and behaviors of each world object at any given time.

For example you may want to explore a huge forest biome, but at its heart a droid dungeon have been generated close to some human headquarters, leading to a terrible war still happening while you'll walk across these cursed woods.

The counterpart of this system is that every A.I. of the world is permanently kept « alive » to be able to react to any small change in their environment. I managed to speed up the whole process by listing all A.I. tasks and executing them in a regular and controlled order.

Faster Engine III: textures
As the game generates a great and completely random amount of 3D models on a huge 3D terrain, inventing a better global texture management became a useful effort to increase game performance without compressing the HD textures implemented in the precedent version.

Every texture is now part of bigger atlases to reduce draw calls. Most materials now only have diffuse and normal texture layers, for maximum visual effect and minimal processing time. Height maps weren't really adding lots to visuals but could slow down rendering a lot so I decided to remove them. It’s hard to see the difference, except for your frame rate !

Faster Engine IV: shadows
The number of light sources generating shadows also becomes an issue. To be able to keep realtime shadowing of the sun I decided to give a the biggest fps-boost of this update by using a different and cheaper way of lighting the world buildings.

The main sun will still project realistic shadows, helping you to measure the time of the day for exemple. This applies too for the lamp carried by the player, vehicle lights, and other special effects. But for the sake of a very, very huge increase in FPS, torchs, lamps, and every light attached to a building will just illuminate in realtime without real shadow projection. However, I increased the subsurface scattering to keep a good visual atmosphere in any case.

Faster Engine V: scripts
After months of testing, profiling and investigating, I discovered lots of inaccurate settings or repetitive functions that could lead to low performance.

I even discovered that some of the props were duplicating each time the player loads a game, which of course is very, very problematic. This have been corrected ; I also discovered dozens of other small inefficiencies, like launching the same function several times… Millisecond by millisecond, the game engine is now faster and cleaner.

User interface: bigger
When playing at very high resolutions, the main pause user interface may appear really small. I recreated everything in HD to be able to switch for a bigger window if desired.

When the game is set to a resolution wider than 1600 pixels, a small « zoom » icon appears at the top of the screen, allowing you to switch for a much bigger pause window and in-game inventory shortcut bar. Some fonts are also globally bigger, like the AI analysis and the Action tooltip.

At this point I would like to thank my friends for their feedback, and @Maboy on @Steam for his very useful review and suggestions.

Gameplay video: 10 minuts of apocalypse
Last but not least : watch the new game engine in action in this exclusive 10 mn long gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBAtq9xExMY&feature=youtu.be

Next Steps
I'm waiting for more player feedback about optimisation. When I'll be sure the engine is perfectly stable and fast in any condition, I'll upload a free demo and start to add the last - but not the least - content before the final release: recruit orders, farming... and hidden secrets.

If you want to support the game and try to create a huge apocalyptic version of the earth, the early access is available on Steam. You'll also be able to challenge the best survivors in the world and see if you can survive longer in the Official Gameplay Mode:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/723020/3571_The_Game/

Thanks for reading, see you in the future !

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »

Thanks to your feedback, 3571 The Game version 0.85 have been upgraded again with more FPS, better controls and new features in this new patch!

More and more FPS

The most demanding graphic feature was the water reflections, as they multiply draw calls by at least 2. So I decided to turn it off by default to speed up the engine, and I added an option on the pause menu to be able to activate it while playing. If the FPS drops too much, it's easy to uncheck the HD Water reflections effects without having to quit the game.

New world generation is also faster as HD water reflections were slowing it a lot. In top of that physics of furnitures and items are simpler and faster, and still less clunky. The camera maximum rendering range has been reduced a little bit, increasing performance a lot without altering the visuals that much.

Accurate mouse movements

Smooth mouse was really strong, and very fast hand movements could cause weird camera or player movements. Now the maximum smooth is clamped and both first person and third person views feel better and more precise.

I need more feedback about controls but I think this update should make gameplay experience very smooth in addition to the increase in performance.

[h1]Random Apocalyptic Storytelling[/h1]

Procedural generation have been tuned to minimize useless objects and props and maximize interactive and narrative elements. This leads to very exotic moments where anything can happen.

Wandering around twenty seconds is enough to find a battle, villagers being attacked by monsters or soldiers defending their camp against combat droids.

So much things happening :

Saving a family from a wolf attack:

Don't let you gun on your table:

Next Steps

I started to work on the next version 0.9 features, including a farming system and new apocalyptic enemies!

Thanks for reading, if you want to try and support the game, or if you want to try time travels, 3571 The Game is available in early access here:

See you in the future!

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2019, 12:43:14 PM »

After 6 months of work on the game engine to get 2X more FPS, the next 0.9 "Natural" Update is on the way ! Let's discover the cutest of the 10 new NPC included in the next version of 3571 The Game: the chicken!

The less dangerous forms of life of the future
The mutant slug is actually the easiest way to get meat, but it's still very strong and a real nightmare to kill especially for a new character. That's why chicken exists: easy food.

The chicken is the second pacific animal of the year 3571 with the horse. You can find them hanging around in most of biomes, and they won't attack you unless you don't kill it at first try. They will fight back but will stop as soon as you walk away.

Looting is caring
You should manage to kill a chicken with no great effort. When it's done, you'll get good resources by exploding its body into parts. Have you seen these beautiful new HD icons too?

I created a brand new item: the chicken meat! You'll get on or two of them with each chicken kill.Chickens will also give you 2 to 3 fat meat items and sometimes a leather hide too. You won't get weapon-like bones as chicken bones are too small.

Next 0.9 "Natural" Update features
This update will add lots of content, new mobs, now survival features, new items, new 3D engine and brand new UX design, with HD icons for every item.

Version 0.9 will include:

- Plantation system ( lemon tree, tomato plant, corn plant )

- 25-30 new items and weapons

- New GUI and UX design

- New HD icons for all items

- 10 new animals and monsters including the chicken

- General optimisations and bug corrections

Welcome to the future
Thanks for reading, if you want to try and support the game, or if you want to try time travels, 3571 The Game is available in early access on Steam. See you in the future!

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »

A new enemy will haunt the procedural worlds of the next 0.9 "Natural" update: in the year 3571 wasps are giant and angry, but also provides brand new useful items. Let's have a look at this new apocalyptic mutant animal!

Flying murderer
This monster comes from forest biomes but can also attack towns and isolated houses. If it can't fly very high, this new enemy can still seriously injure your avatar. If you win the combat, you'll be rewarded with a new weapon!

The wasp will attack you, anyone else and even horses, slugs or chickens. If killing an isolated wasp is possible for an experimented time traveller, wandering around a Giant Wasp nest may cause your game to end brutally.

Ready made wasp equipment
New items will reward your courage in the next update of 3571 The Game: from one giant wasp corpse you will not only get food but also a shield and a weapon!

I like the idea that natural parts of mutant animal corpses can be used as weapons or shields. Look for black and yellow stripes, win your fight and you'll complete your inventory with meat, fat a sharp Wasp Sword and a Wasp Wing shield.

This update will add lots of content, new mobs, now survival features, new items, new 3D engine and brand new UX design, with HD icons for every item.

- New GUI and UX design

- General optimisations and bug correction

[h1]Welcome to the future[/h1]
Thanks for reading, if you want to try and support the game, or if you want to try time travels, 3571 The Game is available in early access on Steam. See you in the future!

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »

3571 The Game v.0.9 Update WIP: Alien life

Alien creatures and vegetation will spread on the last lands of our dying planet in the next 0.9 update: the future have never been so exotic!

Alien dwarfs want the world

Sometimes, while trying to survive the apocalypse you'll find yourself attacked by a strange small grey dwarf with a hole in the face: this is an alien invading the Earth! Kill him ( you need a good weapon! ) and you'll earn the most delicious and expensive meat on Earth: Alien meat!

Once killed, just destroy it's body with a knife or your hands to get delicious alien meat that will calm your stomach for a whole day! Feel lucky that they teleport alone on Earth most of the time.

New organic forms of life

In the next version of 3571 The Game, you will explore the Earth like you've never seen it before: alien vegetation and mutant toxic trees are both strange and dangerous.

Some alien trees are simply toxic, but other vegetal forms of life can detect you and will spread toxic spores around you if you try to attack them. Starting a new game is now very surprising as the range of random elements than can be generated is really huge and diverse.

- Really fast new 3D engine ( 2X faster than v0.8 )

- New GUI and UX design

Welcome to the future

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2019, 02:46:31 AM »

3571 The Game v.0.9 Update WIP: Farming System
Would you like to eat without having to hunt a mutant monster? With the farming system and 3 new fruits and vegetables, it's possible!

The next 0.9 update of 3571 The Game is called the "Natural" Update. You can now plant 3 types of fruits and vegetables! Simple to use, and priceless when you have no choice but to hide.

Radioactivity and Global warming

Fortunately, the Earth in the year 3571 is radioactive, and the global warming flooded 99,99% of the planet. If this can involve potential health issues for your avatar, this also leads plantations to grow super-fast and never need water.

Feel free to plant anywhere and you'll get delicious radioactive fruits in one or two days only! No really! Just put a fruit on the ground with the right click and wait, instead of the left click usually pressed to eat it. After 5-10 fruits, your plantation or tree will disappear quickly.

Three new types of vegan food

If you can kill any animal form of life and get meat from it, now you can enjoy a wider variety of tasty vegetables and colorful fruits thanks to 3 new types of items.

The Peach and Berry cannot be cultivated but still can grow in natural conditions. The three new items, the Lemon, the Tomato and the Corn can all grow in one day if planted.

One of the new animal NPCs is the Bull. So everyone can create a cosy ranch and watch the end of the world eating 100% natural 3-horns bull meat with radioactive tomatoes from the garden:

This update will add lots of content, new mobs, now survival features, new items, new ultra fast 3D engine and brand new UX design, with HD icons for every item.

- Really fast new 3D engine ( 2X faster than v0.8 )

- New GUI and UX design

Welcome to the future

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »

New animals and monsters, volcanos, alien creatures and vegetation, spaceships, new HD GUI and new icon design, new farming system and new game engine 2X faster... Whet else?

Better apocalypses
With new interactive environment elements like poisonous alien plantations or erupting volcanos, everything can happen now, including meteorites, alien invasions or zombie attacks.

The permanent death of the Official Gameplay mode have never been so hazardous. Death is literally at every corner of each procedurally generated apocalypse of Earth. Starting stats have been increased a little bit, but that won't be enough.

More life to kill
It's the end of the world, but there's now many more new mutant or alien species to endanger now. Global warming is just the beginning. Will save the Earth or destroy it? Will it destroy you?

Rats, giant worms and giant wasps, chickens, mutant bulls, aliens, ghouls, monkeys, alligators, snakes... Finally, life is not done yet and you should be even more careful when hanging around with your team. Some of these creatures can provide you natural weapons and shields too!

3571 The Game v0.9 features
  • Really fast new 3D engine ( 2X faster than v0.85 )
  • Plantation system ( lemon, tomato, corn )
  • New Burning and Toxicity levels
  • 25 new items and weapons ( including a Giant Hammer or an Alligator Tooth Knife )
  • New HD GUI and new UX design
  • New HD icons for all items
  • 10 new animals and monsters including the chicken, the mutant bull...
  • Added alien and toxic vegetation types
  • Added volcanos
  • Added several new terrain elements
  • Added new random event: alien spaceship invasion
  • Added random names and model customization
  • New music for the Main Menu
  • New Main menu design
  • New camera effects when Quantum Force activated
  • General optimisations and bug correction

[h1]Welcome to the future[/h1]
Thanks for reading! If you want to try and support the game, or if you want to try time travels, 3571 The Game version 0.9 is available right now in early access on Steam. See you in the future!

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »

Let's have a look at the new screenshots of version 0.9! And thanks to the latest patch, 3571 The Game version 0.9 is now very stable, and I finally got many positive player feedback about performance.

1. More FPS

I implemented a completely new collision detection system. Precision is almost the same when selecting an item to pick or a NPC to hit, but a huge amount of unnecessary calculations in the physics engine have been avoided leading to exponential increase in performance.

2. Less Lags

I finally eradicated two major lags occurring during a game. The first one is when you kill a NPC: initially all the AI of every single NPC restarted to analyse their surroundings to be able to react to any death. This was fun sometimes, but sometimes leading to strange behaviors. Plus this caused this very uncomfortable lag. The second lag I managed to get rid of was when the player increase in XP level. In fact I was saving the whole game currently running instead of saving player stats changes only!

3. More control

I added an option to activate / deactivate the vertical sync, which adds a very short latency on player input sometimes but offers a much smoother screen display rate. The two movement axis of the mouse were slightly different, I changed the settings to have a symmetrical movement rate: camera and character movement are really smoother.

4. True facts about 3571 The Game
  • You can perform huge fishing rod jumps
  • High intelligence level allow you to activate quantum superpowers
  • You can kill stronger enemies using volcanos
  • You can mount dragons, horses or giant wolves
  • Many UFO's will randomly appear to drop dangerous beings on earth
  • You can gather resources and build headquarters, walls, doors chests and bags
  • You can craft weapons and armors, bombs, tools or deadly traps
  • Zombie or alien invasions will sometimes happen
  • You can use pieces of dead animals as armors or weapons
  • The music adapt in realtime to the stress you character endure
  • Giant meteorites can end your game in a second
  • You can compete for the best survivor with players around the world in Official Mode
  • You can convince human NPCs to follow you and get killed
  • You can enter in every house and destroy any object to get resources including dead bodies
  • You can find many vehicles including cars, and crush NPCs with it
  • You can choose how the game generate in Custom Gameplay Mode
  • Several parts of letters are missing in the new logotype of the game

5. Welcome to the future!

Thanks for reading! If you want to try and support the game, or if you want to try time travels, 3571 The Game version 0.9 is available right now in early access on Steam. See you in the future!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic