Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:52:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs× 3571 The Game × Procedural apocalypse simulator ×
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: × 3571 The Game × Procedural apocalypse simulator ×  (Read 16321 times)
Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »

I love this screenshot because there is a huge dragon hidden in it's own flames. Can you spot it?  And in the other screenshot you can find two small AP6 droid models crawling through tall grasses

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

I love this screenshot because there is a huge dragon hidden in it's own flames. Can you spot it?  And in the other screenshot you can find two small AP6 droid models crawling through tall grasses
Yeah, with that information I can "see" it.  Originally, I thought that the white ball was part of the monster.  But without the info it's like looking at
You can only see it if you "how" to see it.  Blink

Maybe if you make the dragon's eyes more apparent to add flames to it's mouth then that would make it easier to recognize.

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »

I love this screenshot because there is a huge dragon hidden in it's own flames. Can you spot it?  And in the other screenshot you can find two small AP6 droid models crawling through tall grasses
Yeah, with that information I can "see" it.  Originally, I thought that the white ball was part of the monster.  But without the info it's like looking at * IMG * You can only see it if you "how" to see it.  Blink

Maybe if you make the dragon's eyes more apparent to add flames to it's mouth then that would make it easier to recognize.

Haha nice shark! I like these good old 3D images. Back when I was a child I loved to see these volumes magically appear! About the flames picture, this is a random screenshot effect: when you are ingame, flames temporarily occlude your vision but there's no way you can miss the dragon itself. But I think you're right and I modified the legend of the image, because you made me realize I mostly wanted people to see the magic effects... So thank you!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:43:28 AM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 11:23:28 AM »

The Droid Army Strikes Back

You can now meet your worst enemy when you're walking in the 3571 devastated lands with these fresh new mobs.
Each one has it's own capabilities, but they're all very dangerous:

I'm still creating more "clean" concept art to enhance graphical universe and multimedia particularity
of the project. I tried to show how I morphed the comic's very basic 2D black and white drawings into
3D videogame characters. Now that I develop both simultaneously, I also sometimes create something
for the game I can reuse in the comics.

John, the main character of the game (before the "Player Customization Update"), looks better
now if you look at the first posts of this devlog.

The XP-Z droid model was very mysterious to me when I started to create its 3D model,
as it was only consisting in 2 big circles in a few lines for me, with spiky ears.
I remember I stared at Blender new file's initial cube for minuts.

Unlike the precedent droid, this one was easier to model, mostly thanks to the particular
head shape I drew in the comics.

I tried to give some kind of reality to the game characters ( texturing, lights )
without losing my illustration's style.

Thanks for reading / watching !

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:12:25 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »

Yeah, I also used to like those 3d images ~ and still do.  Smiley

http://i.imgur.com/ljjLsRg.jpg
I just looked at this image again and only now noticed that there is a dragon - even though it's in plain sight. As I was looking at the image before the dragon blends in as another "robot".  If you want to make the dragon more apparent, then you could move it to the side and/or have it's wings spread a bit.  Much like the little robots in the grass.   It's possible to make it work though, for example as a single post with a question: "How many robots do you see in the picture?"  or similarly with the "big monster" dragon picture that you posted before:  Then people can give a bit more attention to it but it's easy to skip over when you have lots of other stuff to look at. 

Oh, do you still have that dragon picture?  I'd like to use it as a potential reference for similarish marketing ideas.

On a similarish note, what is the exact message of these images? (Note: I'll certainly look into the comic but so far haven't so I don't know the background story)

It seems like that the humans and robots are together as a community and either are going somethere or defending something.  If that's the main idea then that could work, but if the humans and robots are against each other then a different arrangement could work better.

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »

Yeah, I also used to like those 3d images ~ and still do.  Smiley

I just looked at this image again and only now noticed that there is a dragon - even though it's in plain sight. As I was looking at the image before the dragon blends in as another "robot".  If you want to make the dragon more apparent, then you could move it to the side and/or have it's wings spread a bit.  Much like the little robots in the grass.   It's possible to make it work though, for example as a single post with a question: "How many robots do you see in the picture?"  or similarly with the "big monster" dragon picture that you posted before:  Then people can give a bit more attention to it but it's easy to skip over when you have lots of other stuff to look at.  

Oh, do you still have that dragon picture?  I'd like to use it as a potential reference for similarish marketing ideas.

On a similarish note, what is the exact message of these images? (Note: I'll certainly look into the comic but so far haven't so I don't know the background story)
It seems like that the humans and robots are together as a community and either are going somethere or defending something.  If that's the main idea then that could work, but if the humans and robots are against each other then a different arrangement could work better.

I would like to thank you for you remarks, because they look over-accurate, and finally, I understood that's why they're so precious. You gave me a really good advice from a marketing point of view ; my intention was to create a kind of "messy" and "ambiguous" group, but that's the best way to confuse potential players. I will work on more precise concept art showing a guy against hords of animals and droids for exemple. This would express really better the game's spirit.

I've been really busy last weeks but I still kept the comics' publishing rythm of 1 page / week.

I am also really struggling on writing the non player character's AI when they meet together, which leads to very interesting "fight" starting scenes when you enter a village. For exemple during a test I heard loud noises, and I found 4 or 5 villagers trying to kill a dragon that entered their territory. Of course they all died and I could grab lots of food and stuff, patiently waiting for the dragon to go.

Com'on, I can't post without a fresh new GIF :

Walking on the wild lands of our future. I met two or three droid villains ; I was able to slash'em in the face, carefully avoiding a chilling dragon fifteen meters from me.

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 06:06:19 AM »

I know ranking changes faster than lightspeed on IndieDB, but it's the first time 3571 the Game is featured on the first page of IDB Popular Games  Ninja

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:14:43 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »

UI / Design Update & Rendering/lighting optimisation!

I wanted the game to be closer from the Comic's, as I need coherence and links between multimedia parts of the 3571 Project. Initially, the design theme was dark and futuristic. I kept this style for ingame GUI only, but the general design is now black and white and completely inspired by the 3571 Comics.

I also forgot the idea to have a specific logotype for the game as I already have the Project Logotype.

I also improved a lot rendering, shaders, textures and lighting. You can see both UI and rendering updates changing of the game atmosphere on the character customization menu :

Before :

After :

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »

RANDOM WORLD GENERATION UPDATE

Hello everyone !
I've been really working hard on the game last weeks, I couldn't post anything from my C# transe. I asked one week of holidays at work for the game. I was so happy to work on it full-time that I slept 15 hours in 8 days, I was SO motivated ! Couldn't eat or sleep ! )

Combat System Bugs Correction

I started with lots of combat bugs, specially when NPC fight each other ( droids VS villagers, animals VS monsters... ) Now that the combat system works fine, I decided to rethink completely the world generation to both obtain
more control upon generated objects types and more complexity.

Unity's last version

The very good new is about last version of Unity : the built-in AI navigation system now works in realtime, which is amazing : when the player create buildings, NPCs will recalculate their possible paths, making them way more smart.

I coded first a ridiculously complex AI coroutine to help enemies to find the player and avoid walls, with a dirty wall detection collider and random turning functions. I even tried to add nodes on strategic points, and finally... Unity's built-in Navigation system saved me a huge amount of time for an excellent result.

World generation update

I got so excited to have smart enemies that I decided to rethink the whole world generation : Initially, the terrain was created first, and a bunch of objects were randomly spawned according to their height on the map. Results were quite good, but if all maps were different, they offered a too much similar gameplay.

The most important change is that now each element is generated with it's own rules, separately, and accordingly to each other element around on the map. This allows more richness, variety and a very strong control on emerging storytelling during the game.

I detailed above all the steps of the new generation process. It took me a lot of effort to reduce generation calculation time to the maximum. I am very pround that a medium map takes only 10 seconds to be generated on an average computer ( iMac 2010 i5 3,2Hz - 8G RAM - osX )

The best part to me is that now every building specializes into a kitchen, or a droid base...etc. Making each new map incredibly more coherent and surprising. I also included "Dungeons" which contains random enemies and lots of loot ! But don't hope to visit one during you first day : you'll get killed in less than a minut.  Evil

I'll try to keep things updated more frequently here ! Please let me know what do you think about my world generation process strategy and please feel free to give me tips and advices !

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:16:19 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2017, 11:33:26 PM »

AI Navigation & new realtime Unity's navigation system

I struggled lots of time to implement a satisfying navigation system for my NPCs. As the game deals with completely random architecture, it was impossible for me to bake a Navmesh before I build the game.
I needed a realtime system.

I started with messy wall collisions and turning decision coroutine, but the behavior when chasing the player in random-generated towns was still not really satisfying :

I was about starting to create a node system from scratch when I read about the brand new Unity's realtime Navmesh : I immediately tried to implement it. After painful hours ( I had to rethink NPC's AI coroutines structures a lot ) this finally was really worth it. The navigation system works very well, is intuitive and fast, and allow the player to build walls, buildings, which will impact in realtime on the NPC's path decision :

So, I wanted to thank eveyone @ Unity, for bringing us free and so much powerful software development, with so much new updates and functions every month. Ninja

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2017, 05:24:42 PM »

I spent a lot of time tweaking the main Camera view, and a finally found a color correction and effect settings that I'm finally happy with:

And I also created new buildings, rocks, and caverns for the new procedural world generator.
Here, a few screenshots of the new graphical mood of the worlds generated by the game:

Don't forget to check the game profile on IndieDB, as I write less articles, but with condensed and ordered content:

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »

3571 Orchestra
First samples of 3571 The Game soundtrack

3571 Project is not only a videogame, it's also a comic/webcomic, animations, films, and music. Its main originality is that I create everything alone during my free (night)time. Learning 3D modelling and C++/C# languages at 30 was really challenging for me but drawing, art direction, animation and music have been my best skills since I was a child.

Music is a very important part for the 3571 Project global atmosphere. 3571 Orchestra is meant to be an independent music album with its original idea: I decided to compose very classical orchestral songs, but to « futurize » the sound I played and recorded them with cheap digital devices ( like a small MIDI keyboard connected on the free version of garageband for exemple ).

This can lead to some electronic music atmospheres sometimes, and a "MIDI" 1990's sound, but titles sound medieval with very classical harmonies, melodies and orchestration. I think this musical concept is fitting pretty well the main 3571 Sci-fi-Medieval story.

Here are two 15 seconds samples of the first tracks :

Track 01 - Battlefield

Track 02 - Dark Army

I'm sorry these samples are so short, but I strongly want to keep some secrets before I release the game.

Does anybody know if there's similar projects, at least for a videogame ? I mean a videogame completely created by a single person including story, coding, graphics, UX, concept art and music ? This would be a great inspiration for me.

See you soon for the next update !

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:28:49 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »

new video GIF !

Sometimes, it happens that human NPCs can be friend with droid. I'm not sure I coded this, even if each class of NPC reacts to the other in a specific way, they were supposed to fight each other and let me go. But they did not :

( Refresh the page if the GIF does not move )
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:01:47 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »

Flashback - 3571 The Game Version 0.1 video(2012-2013)
(Current version is 0.55)

Before I post a very new update, I wanted to share a prophecy : In this video created 4 years ago, I've announced the game and the comics for 2017 like a joke. Finally, I never dropped the project and I'm just a little bit late!

Back in 2013, I practiced Blender for a few years and started to create the first version of the game with the integrated Blender Game Engine. 3571 Comics concept was ready, I knew I really wanted to do something special with it. Right after editing this video, I started all over from scratch on Unity, learning my first C# lines...

WATCH THE OLD 2013 TRAILER:

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 11:04:07 AM »

Hello!

First of all, I am pleased to announce I finally decided a deadline for the pre-release 0.5 of the game : a download will probably happen online the 12.20.2017 !

I have still a lot of work to do on the game itself, but now I also need to work on communication. Today I just figured out I completely forgot to present myself on IndieDB.

My name is Julien Frappa, I’m a french art director and the Frappa Studio is my personal creation lab : Comics, videogames, film, music, illustration and much more. Let's watch the 2017 Showreel:

I obviously included exclusive new gameplay videos in this showreel ;-)
The 3571 Project ( including comics, videogame, music and films ) is my most personal project. With this multimedia storytelling in progress, I'm trying to give Art a more modern definition, as artists are able nowadays to learn and create alone almost everything, and design thinking allows us to share our creation and adjust it continuously giving attention to the public's comments.

New medias and updates coming soon !

The FRAPPA STUDIO,
AKA Julien

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »

New Concept Art
Thanks to wise advices here I created an ad more clear about the comic's adaptation,
and more clear about the War between men and droids.
What do you think?

And I also completely updated the game website :

>>> Visit the New 3571 The Game Website <<<

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:32:14 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

The Unleash Magic Force system

After lots of fights with C#, it works! With brand new visual effects! When Unleash mode activated, you can jump higher, hit stronger and run faster as long as you still have energy! But it will consume it really fast, be careful.

Here an exemple on how to use Unleash Force mode to reach an unattainable area:

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »

I'm getting so close from having 3571 views, I hope I'll take a screenshot!

I am actually working on the demo of 3571 The Game, I hope to release it in november.
Still working hard on correcting bugs too.

For this I created an arena, where I can try fights between every NPC! It's perfect to check hitboxes sizes and see if everything's fine !

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »

NEW CONCEPT ART!!

I corrected 78 bugs and rewrited entirely the save and load system during nights. It was worth it because the game is now more fast and stable than ever. As this is not really graphic, I also created brand new exclusive concept art for future enemies or vehicles! What do you think?
 Ninja

Frappa Studio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »

Hi everyone! The future is back!
Tired of looking at the same screenshots of 3571 The Game?
Want to hear more music from 3571 Orchestra?
Want some REAL action? Here we go!
Let's watch the very first official 3571 The Game trailer video:

I worked hard on this first trailer, as mixing sound, music, 3D, animation, coding, illustration and writing is the purpose of the 3571 Project! And because the future always become present I'm already working on the next video which will be a gameplay trailer. I hope you enjoyed meeting for the first time some of the droids and mutant animals you'll soon be able to slash for real in the year 3571.

Making animations is fun, I know, but what about the game? I just rebuild every houses random spawns of the World Procedural Generator and fine tuned all random elements to avoid any kind of misplacements, seems to work fine! And I also added lots of GUI tooltips to enhance player feelings about the game mechanics and too get more intuitive controls.

I really tried to give the gameplay a very personal touch, to have a particular feeling on how your are connected to your avatar.

I also added a simple 10-steps tutorial for new games, to allow you to test the controls on you avatar before entering the apocalypse!

See you soon for the next update, and thanks for watching
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:49:00 PM by Frappa Studio » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic