Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:25:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo you work for free?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Do you work for free?  (Read 2827 times)
Conker
« on: June 18, 2016, 08:09:42 AM »

a
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:25:12 PM by a » Logged
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:12:41 AM »

don't answer and ignore them

edit:
keep the mail don't erase em, can be useful as a proof. (in case of)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:20:31 AM »

there should probably be a blocklist for profit share idea guys and spamming game musicians

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 08:30:30 AM »

at!็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็!็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็!็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็!็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็!็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »

i work for money and i create for free
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »

it's one thing to collaborate with a friend on a project, but if someone asks me for free work i'm just pfft what no stop

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »

it's rough because i'm guessing the more you improve the more you'll get those annoying emails

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »

http://shouldiworkforfree.com
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 03:28:47 PM »

When I was getting these emails a lot I started responding to them with large copy-pastes of irrelevant wiki articles, but even that got boring, so I just started just clicking "report spam" for them in gmail.
lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

i work for money and i create for free

Well said!

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »

Superb Joe misquoted the well known song "Money for Nothing and Chicks for Free" because, let's face it, if the man has a weakness, it's pop culture
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 05:30:23 AM »

Superb Joe misquoted the well known song "Money for Nothing and Chicks for Free" because, let's face it, if the man has a weakness, it's pop culture outside of Transformers
fixed
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 06:16:29 AM »

Superb Joe misquoted the well known song "Money for Nothing and Chicks for Free" because, let's face it, if the man has a weakness, it's pop culture outside of Transformers, Except for Transformers devastation.
re-fixed

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 04:01:38 PM »

Well, technically, if you do end up with a profit share of the game, you're not working for free. Wink

I think the guy in the email is pretty upfront about it. He doesn't try to fool you into anything and makes you aware there would indeed be a risk. I mean, there's no harm in asking is there? Especially if he's transparent and upfront about it. It's not like he's trying to lure you under false pretenses.

I personally don't mind these types of emails, probably because I've been in their shoes. When you start a project, you don't necessarily have the funds available to hire folks to work on the game. You might be a very good artist but need someone to help out with the programming aspect of things. If you can barely make a living with your current job, it might be difficult to pay the wages a certain specific skill. So in the end it means either of two things:
a) You give up on your project because you don't have the funds
b) you find people who believe in your project enough to take that risk

If you make a living as an artist, I can certainly understand that it might be a source of irritation if you see it as: "Why are people asking me to work for future potential cash, it doesn't work that way for other jobs!" But suppose the concept is indeed very good and the person who is contacting you has finished coding the game and the music and just need a few art assets, could be worth a shot maybe. It's a case by case basis in my humble opinion.

As for spamming game musicians again, I don't personally mind. They're trying to make a living and being proactive about it by trying to get involved in different projects in my view. I don't see this as being something to scorn at.

The composer involved in my project is doing a wonderful job and was the one to contact me first. Some of them are actually good, talented people so I think it's possible to pass up on some really good composers if they end up being part of group, i.e. the spamming musicians.

Maybe you could put some information somewhere on your profile or in your signature which clearly indicates that you don't do profit share. That would probably stop people from contacting you. Might be worth a shot!

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 05:50:05 PM »

You say your portfolio says "no profit share" but I just looked at your portfolio thread on tigsource and it doesn't say that anywhere. It only says that on your website. If someone only looked at your forum version (which has your contact info) they wouldn't know that.

Not everyone is going to go to your website.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 09:00:59 AM »

Okay? And? I was only pointing out a possible reason why some emails might pop up. Is adding a bolded sentence to your forum posts stating you don't accept profit share in addition to it being written on your website really that big of a deal? It may or may not help, but at least then you cover your bases.

When I look at portfolios here, pixelation, etc., I don't bother with ones that don't have images in their forum post and only link to their website because I'm lazy. I don't think it's crazy to assume that other people might do the same.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 09:17:08 AM »

edit nvm

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »

this thread brings up an interesting point: Transformers Devastation
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »

Freelance is tough. I hope you find some decent clients. I guess sifting through the garbage emails is just part of it, unfortunately.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic