Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 03:29:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeDo you like game jams?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Do you like game jams?  (Read 1506 times)
fab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2016, 01:07:41 AM »

Most times I just don't like the theme and can't be arsed, making me feel bad for not trying.

I like the idea of game jams but I never enjoy them when I do one.

Maybe I'm just doing them wrong.

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »

Maybe you just haven't found the right one. Are you doing in teams or solo? On-site or off? Which jam(s), how frequently and for what duration?

The {vibe|energy|ki} of a jam is probably the most important part, and you'll miss out on that if you're not sharing it with others. Chilling at home reading somebody else's game idea is...pretty much just that, and you can do that any time you want!

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
fab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »

Maybe you just haven't found the right one. Are you doing in teams or solo? On-site or off? Which jam(s), how frequently and for what duration?

The {vibe|energy|ki} of a jam is probably the most important part, and you'll miss out on that if you're not sharing it with others. Chilling at home reading somebody else's game idea is...pretty much just that, and you can do that any time you want!

Maybe I should try doing the jam in a team. I have not tried that yet.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »

Game Jams are an excuse to complete a game. If you have dozens of half complete game ideas cluttering up your hard drive that you are afraid to show the world because they don't live up to your vision. Do a Game Jam, you can show the world a semi functional game and nobody will judge you for its poor quality because you made it in 48 hours.

At least that is why I like game jams.

Also with a built in audience of your fellow developers you can get some interesting feedback on what worked and what didn't. So Game Jams are a good time to try some new game mechanics.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 05:07:13 AM »

Wilson Saunders's comment is spot on.
If you feel demotivated by the theme and you want to engage in game making in a jam-fashion (and if you have the time, of course), you can do GAME-A-WEEK for a month, for example.
I personally would like to try it eventually.

FelixArifin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »

LOVE game jams. They're a lot of fun! I love working with a myriad of game genres and teams, and you get to meet some interesting people as well! Plus, regardless of whether the game's finished or not, you'll have something to put up as a portfolio of sorts.

-Felix

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 03:43:09 AM »

The ones I've been on were fun. But I agree the themes are usually poorly chosen. My opinion is that themes should act as a constraint for game design, not just for context. For example, the theme "apocalypse" could be absolutely anything from a fundamental design perspective. It could be a cards game with apocalyptic theme or a first person shooter. However, a theme like "one button" is a much stronger constraint on game design.

But, as it was already said, people just like an excuse to interact with people and finish old projects. I think it's pretty neat, when I have the time.

vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 05:06:50 PM »

Not only like already mentioned, but I feel like game jams are also useful for inspiration.

A lot of people rely on that super sick sudden spark that makes you wanna make a game for the rest of their project, but it's very short lived. Game jams like, allow you to make a good game out of it very quickly and also giving you sick new skills such as art or coding, but they also let you quickly move on to something else when you're done or tired of what you've been doing

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 12:59:01 AM »

Next Ludum Dare will be my 12th!

I actually usually dislike most themes that I vote for and I often initially dislike the theme that wins, but that's good. It means I have to get creative with something I didn't really have a plan for, and I end up with another game eventually!

I usually work in a team of at least two people. We've been three every time lately, two of us in the same place and the third person remotely. Works great with some source control setup before the jam starts.

People are different, but for me making sure I always do LD thrice a year as a routine means I can always do it without feeling like I'm wasting time away from a bigger project, and means I don't have to feel bad about ignoring other game jams. It also means I finish at least three tiny projects each year even if I take very long to finish bigger projects, which is a nice boost of confidence and motivation.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:16:16 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:49:11 AM »

I would imagine working in a team can help with your enjoyment of a GameJam.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic