Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:28:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionCockpit Compo Post-mortem Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Cockpit Compo Post-mortem Thread  (Read 39729 times)
Akon
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 04:42:16 PM »

I don't think that you count as indie then, Akon, if you got paid. Especially, so paid.
your opinion doesn't muthafuckin matter cause you're not so muthafuckin paid
i can be whateva tha fuck i want
i'm muthafuckin indie, yo
jon blow got muthafuckin paid, you still think he's indie
Your really muthafuckin' comparing yourself too Jon Blow?
fuck yeah, yo
i'm better than dat muthafucka
Big Laff Right
fuck you
i don't like them haters
Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »

jon blow got muthafuckin paid, you still think he's indie
Jon Blow is not indie because he got paid.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »

fuckers so don't get paid yo Hand Metal Left

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2009, 03:42:03 AM »

post mortem pork feeder 3000:

good :
- was hard pressed to have an idea related to a cockpit, but it forced me to think in new interesting ways

- avoided any "shooting" gameplay mechanic

- game idea was strictly from scratch, meaning it's a try of something new, jumping in the unknown

- once I got the first working play mechanic, I was just satisfied: this game really works ( once you get to the core, very hard from the short demo )

- managed a lot of work on a month despite heavy RL business going on

- like the lots of graphical assets produced during the compo month even if I hadn't the time to polish any of them again

- technology was great : open gl and c++ > apart from maths and a little fiddling with sdl in the beginning, I encountered no problem and result is smooth.

bad :
- the quite short nature of the demo is quite unfulfilling given the amount of work given :p

- false 3D actually is much harder than it seems ! I didn't think I lost so much of my math skills

- the idea of the cockpit I wanted to develop was that you have a very visually rich cockpit where everything
  has a meaning to the game: problem is you need to introduce things one by one.
  having a gameplay based on giving way too much info to handle to the player is quite risky

- actually I so burnt myself out to get to a playable state for compo end than polishing afterwards to make it accessible
   just made me sick ( even making a video )

- a simple readme would have been way better than my flawed in game tutorial .

- game is very dry in difficulty curve:  it's not a direct copy of existing game, doesn't have intuitive controls, and tutorial is flawed;
   if you try to make something completely odd/new, you need to make sure the player can somehow get in.

- really a game without sound sucks

- spending too many time doing assets and integrating them meant that gameplay tuning came at the last minute
( prototyping gameplay really was the essential, and I didn't focus on that enough ).
  saw that coming because I began with a visual idea, not a gameplay idea.

- player lacks visual feedback/reward when he does something positive/negative: actually makes the game not intuitive enough

- didn't post enough on my progress, first demo was very late, so I couldn't build enough feedback/comments,
which would have been great to improve my result ; I missed on this aspect of the compo.

will do:

- continue to work on it after a break as I think it could become an enjoyable AND accessible game

- music

- levels introducing new elements one by one

- more funky hud effects with strange blendings

- more animated stuff in the cockpit, and animations for the player as reward

- new gameplay elements cut from the demo due to time constraint

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2009, 06:56:16 AM »

Good:

- I thought it was funny

Bad:

- It wasn't funny

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2009, 01:50:45 AM »

Good:

- I thought it was funny

Bad:

- It wasn't funny

:D

I had noooo idea how to play it. The spider was innovative feature. As was the.... uh.... guy. You know the one! You click the button alot, and then he pops up. I forgot who he was.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2009, 02:46:42 AM »

Tentacle Uprising

What went right
  • Had an existing codebase to work with in the form of the XNA engine I've been working on.  This helped me get a prototype of the basic gameplay up and running pretty quick.  Also didnt have to worry about tedious stuff like a UI system or renderer, etc.
  • Cel shading effect came out pretty nice in my opinion and really cut texturing time which was my favorite part of using it.  The effect tends to be hit or miss historically (personally I dont think its used enough) but for this game I think it contributed well to the theme and artstyle.
  • Didn't really hit any snags in developing this game which is good considering the time given to finish it.

What went wrong
  • Entered the competition about 2.5 weeks late.  The extension helped and I did have a game you could play from beginning to end, but there were a ton of things I wanted to add that I just didnt have time for.  This included more enemies and tower types, more varied levels, and scripted events.
  • I waited too long to post a build for people to play, I think it was a few days before the deadline.  Part of this was me being picky I suppose.  Having the game available earlier on might of given me more feedback and could have changed the direction I went with it, although I'm happy with the basic gameplay.
  • Since I always have the intention of reusing code, I was careful with how I designed a lot of things such as the event and trigger systems when getting something that "just works" up might have let me work on other parts of the game.

compound
Level 0

Help

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2009, 06:57:39 PM »

STAR CANNON: INVASION FORMATION
    by tocky, compound, EEsoteric

This was our first game, we tried to make a whole bunch before and they never worked out. I'd never finished anything on my own. Neither tocky or I had really worked in 3D before. All in all, we broke a lot of ground for ourselves here as individuals and as a team.

Now I might have a useful contribution here, I used dlmalloc and it worked great, I can recommend its usage.

So let's say you have a factory, like this one here:

All it takes is a simple overload like so:

And there you go. Dlmalloc is able to handle deallocation and reallocation of several thousands of objects in a single frame on my shitty laptop without sucking any memory from the OS.

Easter Egg: Korg DS-10 was used in the production of the sound effects, it's something I've been wanting to do for awhile... It's got a wonderfully crunchy and versatile saturation circuit in it with which you can do some hard, beefy kicks that are great to stick under impacts and explosions. SFXR was also used extensively.

Development time was 4 weeks, almost to the day.

What went right:

- Successful collaboration
    - Made a 3D game/engine
    - Looks/sounds/plays pretty good
    - Cockpit turned out nifty

What went wrong:

- Engine was created during game development, debugging and fabrication was a time sink
    - A lot of unique & creative assets that weren't used
    - More of an experiment than a game
    - There weren't any giant Lanmolas flying through the air

Pictured: Lanmolas conspicuously absent from SC:IF

Shrug
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »

STAR CANNON: INVASION FORMATION
    by tocky, compound, EEsoteric

...etc.

the awesomeness is strong in this one.Beer!

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »

I'm just gonna keep pointing this out until someone responds...

http://revver.com/video/1634887/tigsources-cockpit-compo/ <- It's finally done!

It's still missing Cockpit Crash, Detective Crash and Hard Aether, if anyone wants to add those in, email me and I'll send you the hi-rez version...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic