Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:35:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKing under the Mountain - A fantasy simulation-strategy game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: King under the Mountain - A fantasy simulation-strategy game  (Read 18487 times)
ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 03:02:07 AM »

Very small update to say I'm currently working on the UI, on the road to getting some actual gameplay implemented! Fairly poor quality gif as I didn't want the size to be excessive. Any feedback is really appreciated!

King under the Mountain, a fantasy settlement builder inspired by Dwarf Fortress, The Settlers and Prison Architect
Devdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 04:06:52 AM »

Just a quick question. Do you plan for the final-and-polished version of the game to include art like the concept art featured at the top of the first post? It looks stunning!  Wink
ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 04:58:15 AM »

Just a quick question. Do you plan for the final-and-polished version of the game to include art like the concept art featured at the top of the first post? It looks stunning!  Wink

Thanks for the question! The concept artist will be happy Smiley The actual in-game graphics will probably stay quite close to the .gif above, with the concept art at the top (and other pieces) to drive how the characters, items and scenery looks. For example, I'll be working in getting trees into the game soon, and they'll change colour throughout the seasons so you can end up with the range of colours you see in the concept, although it'll still be in the same top-down 2D style as the current placeholder tiles.

King under the Mountain, a fantasy settlement builder inspired by Dwarf Fortress, The Settlers and Prison Architect
ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2016, 02:30:31 AM »

Another small update to show the progress on the UI - the buttons now trigger a cursor change which can be used for setting and clearing designations:

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2016, 07:22:01 AM »

Don't think I've commented on this yet, looking great! Who doesn't love Dwarves... That UI looks really straight-forward and self-explanatory. Nicely done.

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »

Don't think I've commented on this yet, looking great! Who doesn't love Dwarves... That UI looks really straight-forward and self-explanatory. Nicely done.

Thanks a lot! It's very much a goal to make the game easy to play and  approachable (which also drives the design of the visuals) as that's the main thing that turns people away from Dwarf Fortress. It would be unrealistic to try and replicate the full depth and simulation of DF, but I think I can capture the core fun and gameplay in a more attractive package. Stay tuned Smiley

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2016, 05:00:49 AM »

September Update - From tech demo to actual game

Here's a quick overview of this month's progress: there's the start of the UI to let you interact with the game world, support for translation into multiple languages, and procedurally coloured tree generation!

First of all was getting a simple UI up and working, which marks the first time the player can properly interact with the game world. For now, rock walls can be designated for mining, and shortly I'll be adding similar options for marking which trees should be chopped down. The icons used are freely available from the excellent game-icons.net. The background to each button is a simple ninepatch. Along with the colour of each button (which you can see being used in a basic transition), these can all be easily changed via mods which is a strong design goal of the game.

Although this is just the first stage of having a UI in the game, I thought it was important to get multi-language support, or internationalisation, in place to ensure that it's relatively easy to get different language translations as part of the game engine rather than trying to add it in later. Although this goes against some of the agile design principals I try to stick to with development, I both knew that I definitely wanted this in as a feature eventually, and more importantly, that it would be much more of a pain to add it in later after assuming everything is displayed in English. Here's a video showing the results of this. I realise some of the translations are quite poor and we'll definitely be using some professional translations for the final game - this is really just a tech demo!

Having developed the UI to a state I was happy with for some initial interactions, I also had time this month to move on to getting trees into the game world. You may have seen in earlier updates that the map generator was picking positions for trees so that they had enough space to grow into, but the in-game shots didn't have any trees in the world - until now!

We're still planning to replace the grass/dirt floor with something better than the current random scattering

You'll notice that copies of the same type of tree have slightly different coloration of the leaves and trunk/branches. Each species of tree has a colour swatch for the branch and leaf layers, made up of a small number of pixels (currently 1 pixel tall and 4 pixels wide but it can be any number), looking like this for Beech trees (the large round-shaped ones in the pic above):

Modding this is as simple as changing the image files above, and the game then takes a random amount from each pixel to produce a random colour in that range. For the beech branch example above, this produces a range of colours for the tree's branches somewhere within the following:

In addition to this slightly different colouring for each individual tree, they're also offset slightly from the grid of tiles that make up the map to help break up the uniformity of where the trees are located. Finally (for this stage of development at least), non-evergreen trees will change the colour of their leaves throughout autumn, using another swatch of colors similar to the above, that for beech trees looks like this:

Currently when it's autumn (but in the future it will also be tied to the ambient local temperature) the leaves change colour going from left to right using a mix of each row, until eventually the leaves fall off, ready to re-grow next spring. You can see this in the video at the top of this post.

The plan is to include an animation of leaves falling from the tree, culminating in a large amount of leaves falling to cover the abrupt change to when the tree loses its leaves. This will come later when there's support for particle effects in the game engine.

I've been able to work at a much faster pace this month to get King under the Mountain into a playable state - the current plan is to have a playable alpha at the end of year, followed by reaching out to the press to hopefully bring in a much wider audience for the game. Having said that, I am hugely thankful for everyone that's shown an interest so far! If you haven't already, sign up at http://kingunderthemounta.in/download/ and you'll only be sent an email from it when we have some information on where or how you'll be able to get first access to the game.

Bonus sneak peek! Thanks for reading this far and following my progress. Although it isn't finished yet, I'm really excited to be able to share a work in progress of the logo that's being designed for King under the Mountain:

This has been created by the extremely talented Anthony Avon who's responsible for lovely concept art you can find decorating this page. Even more excitingly, Anthony is due to start on another large landscape concept piece of artwork so stay tuned to find out about that!

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 04:31:34 AM »

Excited to say the game is currently #7 on IndieDB and if you haven't seen much of it already, I would love for you to click through and check out the extra info there!

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2016, 08:01:22 AM »

Less to show off a bit recently as I've been rejigging how the engine subsystems communicate with each other.

There has been more work done with the designating orders as you can see in this video:

Orvel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »

Your game looks sick!

What are you using to make your game?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:36:46 PM by Orvel » Logged
ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »

Your game looks sick!

Thanks! Smiley It's written in Java using the LibGDX framework

Orvel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2016, 01:13:17 PM »

Your game looks sick!

Thanks! Smiley It's written in Java using the LibGDX framework

So you developed the lighting system?

I forgot to mention that I love games like these. Imo there aren't enoguh games in the genre. If it turns out great, I will surely buy it. Smiley
ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »

So you developed the lighting system?

I forgot to mention that I love games like these. Imo there aren't enoguh games in the genre. If it turns out great, I will surely buy it. Smiley

Yep, not even sure why now(!) but I put a lot of effort into creating a dynamic lighting system for the game, which should pay off when your miners are moving around dark tunnels with a lantern Smiley The original text demo supported thousands of dynamic lights at once without any show down so I'm interested to see how it goes with the full game going on. Thanks a lot for the interest!

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2016, 08:55:45 AM »

Today we're unveiling our plan to launch a Kickstarter in early 2017 to make King under the Mountain a reality. The rest of the development effort for this year is aimed at building a small slice as a proof of concept for the game and to have something concrete and actually playable to back up the crowd funding effort. If successful, this will allow us to massively ramp up development efforts and bring in more talented creators to build the content and gameplay required.

To do this, we're going to need your help!

Our one-shot mailing list is going to let you know when the Kickstarter launches so you don't miss out. Subscribe once, and we'll email you once and no more (no spam from us!). What we really need though, is your help to spread the word to your friends that you think would be interested in this game we're making. To add a little incentive, everyone who refers a backer of the Kickstarter will be entered to a 1 in 10 chance to win a free copy of the game, from Alpha access onwards. So if you haven't already, send your friends on over to http://kingunderthemounta.in/download/ and this could be you!

This referral scheme replaces our old 1 in 10 chance of winning a copy of the game just for subscribing. We promised to be as transparent as possible - the subscription page shows we currently have 267 subscribers, so here's the 27 winners of a free copy:

dga******@gmail.com   Ryb******@hotmail.com   fah******@gmail.com
tec******@gmail.com   ala******@gmail.com   buz******@yahoo.com
the******@gmail.com   sid******@live.com   mpr******@gmail.com
adr******@amusedsloth.com   och******@gmail.com   ala******@gmail.com
mor******@gmail.com   boy******@gmail.com   jac******@msn.com
dig******@gmail.com   mar******@gmail.com   elr******@gmail.com
hap******@yahoo.com   sho******@gmail.com   hin******@gmail.com
fun******@gmail.com   kyl******@gmail.com   ms-******@onlinehome.de
mat******@gmail.com   mik******@gmail.com   xko******@hotmail.com

We've sent an email to the lucky people above. If you're one of these and haven't received an email, please contact [email protected] and we'll get you sorted out.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 05:34:47 AM by ross.turner » Logged

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 05:35:53 AM »

Small update to the above post - offering a Kickstarter pledge reward seemed remarkably unpopular, so I've changed it over to being a 1 in 10 chance of a free copy for everyone who refers one backer. Hope that goes over a bit better Smiley

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2016, 08:50:20 AM »

Nice bit of progress today - added rooms/zones with the ability to add and remove stockpiles somewhat dynamically

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »

Big addition today - There's animation, better positioning, rock items to be left over, some visual feedback and particle effects to be added, but this video shows the first working version of dwarves in htp://kingunderthemounta.in being able to mine rock!

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2016, 07:07:42 AM »

Today I've replaced the website's homepage with a static page as an intro to the game rather than the dev blog. Any thoughts or feedback?

http://kingunderthemounta.in

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 08:44:02 AM »

A lot to cover this month! First of all, here's a little video showing some of the main progress in the last month with dwarves being assigned to mining jobs and removing rock walls, producing large stone resources in their place.

However the biggest news this month is that after last month's update covering the procedurally coloured leaves in Autumn, we were featured in article on Rock Paper Shotgun! As a huge fan of RPS, this was personally incredibly exciting (one ticked off the bucket list). Even better than that, the coverage effectively doubled awareness of the game, so here's hoping for more articles in the future Smiley

There was still other big news this month, in that we officially unveiled plans for our Kickstarter for King under the Mountain. The current plan is to have a playable prototype (minimal demo) of the game by the end of the year, and then focus on sharing this with the world in preparation for the Kickstarter in March. A successful campaign would mean development on King under the Mountain would speed up massively and it's our dream to make this game into everything it deserves to be. Success is going to hinge on getting the word out to as many people as possible, and if you like the look of the game so far, it would massively help us if you refer any friends that would be interested to our mailing list. Even better, you can win a free copy of the game for doing so!

As part of gearing up from a tech demo to a game proper, we've replaced the homepage with more of an introduction to the game rather than linking straight to the dev blog. Expect this to grow and evolve over the next few months, and we're also planning on neatening up the site's design a bit, so watch this space!

In terms of development progress, the first part of the last month involved a first pass at designating stockpiles through the UI, as you can see in action here:

This is where your settlers will haul resources and other items they've collected or produced, as a place to store them before going on to a more specific workshop or room. This is also laying the foundations of placing rooms and workshops themselves, where your settlers will turn these raw resources into valuable items and crafts.

Last month's update also showed setting designations in the game world, and this has progressed quite a lot in the last month - the game now keeps track of designations as jobs to assign to the relevant workers, assigns them when required, and the first of these (mining) has been implemented as you can see in the video at the top of the post. This is all still very early prototype work - the final version will have particle effects (e.g. rocks chipping away), animation (digging with pickaxes) and a better look and feel overall (better movement and alignment of the workers). Here we're really just laying the groundwork that the more complex systems and interactions are going to be added to, iterated on and polished up.

Adding these jobs has gone hand-in-hand with adding items and resources into the game engine. It deals with stacking up and showing the correct look of different resources based on the materials they've been created from as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsz1ccKIBsg

For next month we're aiming at getting these resources into the game properly - chopping down trees to produce logs and that kind of thing. Hopefully within the next month we'll have our second main piece of concept art to share with you - depicting the kind of scenery you can expect to find in the vast underground caverns of King under the Mountain, so stay tuned!

ross.turner
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2016, 12:28:43 AM »

After working on job assignment, mining, and getting resources into the game, today's progress has been on chopping down trees as a job too.

There's effects to add such as leaves falling off (something like in Stardew Valley) as they fall, as well as animating using an axe to chop them down with, but it's a start!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic