Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:45:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPaper Mario
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Paper Mario  (Read 2766 times)
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2016, 03:03:39 AM »

Soooooooooo, Paper Mario...

I like it. For the uninformed with Nintendo news, new game coming based off Sticker Star which did away with a lot of ideas and replaced them with some not very stellar fighting mechanics. People are unhappy because of the changes and reasoning.

I'd like to know what ya'll think about the series, good and bad.

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 06:53:54 AM »

The Thousand-Year Door slammed itself shut from any ongoing creative integrity this franchise once had.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »

how so

havent played any paper mario pas n64, so i am curious to hear about that creative intehgrity

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »

Controversial opinian: mario & luigi bowser's inside story is better than any paper mario.

Controversial apimiom 2: super paper mario is pretty good
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:16:05 AM »

N64 and GC Paper Mario were nice. Super Paper Mario did some good memes, I guess. Sticker Star didn't even do that. I'm not expecting much from the new Paper Mario.

halk3n
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 08:17:19 AM »

how so

havent played any paper mario pas n64, so i am curious to hear about that creative intehgrity

All Paper Marios succeeding TTYD have exhibited more gimmicky additions that have hampered said createhv ingtegrehtehz.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »

the combat mechanics in sticker star were pretty uninteresting which would have been fine if the rest of the game wasn't so damn bland. the most "paper mario" area in sticker star was the swamp which was still pretty damn boring.

colour splash at least looks like it might have fun characters (tho they're probably all gonna be toads) and situations

ill probably never bother though

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »

I actually really liked the story and gameplay in Super Paper Mario; beat the entire thing. TTYD didn't (and doesn't) hold my attention, oddly. I liked the original, but never beat that either, so Ionno.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 11:31:38 AM »

Controversial opinian: mario & luigi bowser's inside story is better than any paper mario.
i liked partners in time better than bis

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:02:34 PM »

Opinion: The original Paper Mario was an absolute masterpiece. The Thousand Year Door was pretty good. Super Paper Mario was dumb and uninteresting and killed any enthusiasm I had for the future of the series.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:27 AM »

opinion: ttyd might be the best rpg ever made depending on how i'm feeling that day. sticker star is a garbage fire.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 06:02:24 AM »

i liked partners in time better than bis

also super mario rpg is not very good
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 08:22:51 AM »

also super mario rpg is not very good
Yah I tried to play this after having played both Paper Mario 64 & TTYD and found it dull in comparison. I think the badge system that the Paper series has makes the combat and item collection more interesting. The RPG mechanics in Super Mario RPG felt primitive to me, but I never finished the game so it could be that sort of game that gets better the longer you play, idk.

I think Thousand-Year Door is the highest point of the series, but Paper Mario 64 is a close second.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:29:23 AM »

its a game that mechanically hasnt aged well, but it at least intriduced the timing system now prevalent in every subsequent mario rpg. i still kinda like the style of the environemnts and towns, however divergent from current mario "lore" it is.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 08:30:54 AM »

i still feel that the mario and luigi series to be closer to what a mario rpg should be. upplaying evasion and body language always felt great to me.

Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 08:35:07 AM »

I've never played any of the Mario RPG series after The Thousand Year Door but I really really like all of them. I particularly like the original Super Mario RPG, but Paper Mario and The Thousand Year Door I think are both excellent. I also like the GBA one but I can't even remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Had 0 interest in ever getting a Wii so I never got the chance to play Super Paper Mario, but it seemed weird that they were discarding the whole RPG thing.

There's a very distinct interesting charm to those games. They also prove that even in RPGs sometimes cutting things down to their simplest elements can be a good thing.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 08:46:23 AM »

There's a very distinct interesting charm to those games. They also prove that even in RPGs sometimes cutting things down to their simplest elements can be a good thing.
This is true. As an example of this I think one of the greatest successes of the Mario RPG series is the use of very small numbers for character stats. A lot of the attacks in these games deal a single point of damage, or perhaps two damage, instead of the hundreds and thousands that you'd normally dish out with a single sword cut in most jRPGs.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:13 AM »

the mario and luigi games also add a lot of neat action elements to jrpg combat. particularly bowser's inside story which is the best mario rpg.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 08:52:36 AM »

the mario and luigi games also add a lot of neat action elements to jrpg combat.
agreed. the fact that you can beat the game without being hit at all is notable. also add that some enemies can be only hurt with certain weapons and shit and you got a more diverse game than most rpgs

bowser's inside story is the best mario rpg.
no

NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 03:48:07 PM »

I don't think I've liked any Paper Mario game since Thousand Year Door, but that might be because I *loved* that game.

I also enjoyed Mario and Luigi series but I've found they've become entire too verbose for their own good. (Characters talk a lot but never really say anything.)

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic