Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:34:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPaper Mario
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Paper Mario  (Read 2722 times)
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2016, 09:15:54 PM »

Mario RPG on SNES is one of my favorite games of the system (in part because since I didnt know any english at the time, this game was pretty much the first time I could ever play through and beat an RPG, being very simple and straightforward in its sequence)

I really liked the first Paper Mario, and liked Thousand Year Door even more. I Also liked Super Paper Mario, I was only a bit disappointed that it wasnt an RPG, seemed to indicate the console side of the series would just move away from the genre entirely instead of trying new fresh things within them, but taking it on its own terms, it was a great game.

About Sticker Star, from what I understand, the main gripe people have about it is that all of your special moves comes from finite items that you need to spend to use, right? If that's really the main "problem" with it, maybe I should try it out, because that sort of thing sounds right up my alley.

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2016, 10:25:22 PM »

While I've never played Sticker Star, the sticker concept isn't bad... but they execute it horribly. You use the stickers on enemies to defeat them and earn money. You use this money to buy new stickers to replace the ones you just used. But you need some stickers to defeat bosses. So you just end up running from each battle so you don't have to waste stickers and can save them for the boss.

In other words, there's no point to fighting because you aren't earning anything. In fact you're slowing yourself down since you'll need them for the Boss, and sometimes you need specific stickers to win.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2016, 12:49:45 AM »

They actually look good in motion. I was also turned off by the screenshots

i saw yt vids and they still look ugly to me
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2016, 09:07:41 AM »

Mario RPG on SNES is one of my favorite games of the system (in part because since I didnt know any english at the time, this game was pretty much the first time I could ever play through and beat an RPG, being very simple and straightforward in its sequence)

I really liked the first Paper Mario, and liked Thousand Year Door even more. I Also liked Super Paper Mario, I was only a bit disappointed that it wasnt an RPG, seemed to indicate the console side of the series would just move away from the genre entirely instead of trying new fresh things within them, but taking it on its own terms, it was a great game.

About Sticker Star, from what I understand, the main gripe people have about it is that all of your special moves comes from finite items that you need to spend to use, right? If that's really the main "problem" with it, maybe I should try it out, because that sort of thing sounds right up my alley.

not special moves. all moves. it's not really an rpg. on top of the battles being garbage boring slogs there's no levelling or...a point to battling at all besides bosses. it's just a complete waste of time.

also no partner system.

also the narrative is basically entirely removed. so is anything resembling creativity vis a vis locations; you get Mario Jungle, Mario Desert, Mario Green Forest, etc. say goodbye to anything that's cool or fun like the glitz pit or the train ride.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »

Ya i was initially looking forward to that game but decided to stay the fuck away. It seems like it's BAD. Like, not just "bad for a nintendo game" but actually shitty.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »

They actually look good in motion. I was also turned off by the screenshots

i saw yt vids and they still look ugly to me
your face still looks ugly to me

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2016, 02:57:45 PM »

...says the girl with no eyes
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »

Dude, only because I have no eyes, doesnt mean i got no feelings  Cry

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »

no eyes, no heart, can't feel

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

the thing that was really cool about paper mario & ttyd was how the games managed to take the worldbuilding seriously. while the M&L games are excellent games, they don't really capture that same attention to detail, which is probably why people are so upset with the new paper mario games which completely throw it out the window.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 08:34:18 PM »

Dude, only because I have no eyes, doesnt mean i got no feelings  Cry

Just because you got feelings does not mean other don't Well, hello there!

and0
Level 0

I do things and translate stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »

Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games. I have played and finished Super Paper Mario, but don't really remember anything about that game, which I guess is all I need to say about that.

Sticker Star was just...bleh. It didn't know what it wanted to be. It lacked the depth, world building and character for an RPG, and the level design, speed and flow for a platformer. Tried twice, but could never bring myself to finish it.

Color Splash looks slightly better, but I don't see myself picking it up.

I got pink cats with jetpacks right here.
NowSayPillow
Level 1

John Carmack Clone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2016, 03:52:38 AM »

Stuff

Pretty much my exact reaction to the series. You'd think the critical praise heaped on Thousand Year Door would have told them "you're on the right track, this is what people want!", but nope. Now they're taking the least enjoyable mechanic from the least enjoyable entry and putting it front and center. Roll Eyes

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2016, 07:15:47 AM »

Sales figure has been risig from the series, critical reception be damned

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2016, 08:56:07 AM »

the n64 and gamecube had a much smaller install base than the wii or 3ds though

Pages: 1 2 [3]