Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:08:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesI'm going to play every free Windows game on Itch.io (16,270)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: I'm going to play every free Windows game on Itch.io (16,270)  (Read 7123 times)
fab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:21:33 AM »

I've decided I'm going to try and play every free windows game on Itch.

There will be a lot of crap on there but I might find a hidden gem.

The count so far is 16,270. Loads will be added by the time I finished so I will have to start again.

I guess it will take me a few years.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »

no you're not
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »

no you're not
fab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:17:04 AM »

Maybe it is to many...

But I will still try as much as I can before I get bored Beg

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »

I started playing through 500 freeware games once

that was three years ago
fab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 10:42:14 AM »

I started playing through 500 freeware games once

that was three years ago

Hmmm, I may not live to complete this then!  Embarrassed

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:11:46 AM »

Let's say that you take a year to play every game. You want to play 16,270 games. 16,270 divided by 365 is 45 (rounded up). You would need to play 45 games per day in order to make your dream come true. That is not humanly possible, unless you dedicate a ridiculously small amount of time to each game.

fab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »

Let's say that you take a year to play every game. You want to play 16,270 games. 16,270 divided by 365 is 45 (rounded up). You would need to play 45 games per day in order to make your dream come true. That is not humanly possible, unless you dedicate a ridiculously small amount of time to each game.

I'm sure with more than 50% I will know within 5 mins its crap. It will take years. But I can just do it when I get chance.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »

Have you factored in the rate at which games are added onto Itch.io? If you play them slower than they are added then you're screwed.

fab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »

I guess it will just be a hobby I do for the rest of my life.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:30:05 AM »

be sure to check out my game then :D

zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 11:32:49 AM »

I don`t think so, you will quit probably somewhere around game 239, or just start skipping.

There`s lots of awful stuff there, plus not all of them are actual games.

fab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:44 AM »

I don`t think so, you will quit probably somewhere around game 239, or just start skipping.

There`s lots of awful stuff there, plus not all of them are actual games.

It's worth a try any way. I will post on here in the future if I give up or I am still going strong!

be sure to check out my game then :D

Hopefully I will get around to them. Cheesy

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 11:47:40 AM »

Not to be mean or discouraging, but why would you do that to yourself? There might be some hidden gems as you say, but generally, if you have developed a really good game and put a lot of effort into it, itchio isn't your target platform to sell from. Itchio has no barrier of entry so many people kind of use it as a dump to store their bad/unfinished/experimental games. I really don't think it'd be worth the time investment. Even if we assume that 5% of the games on itchio are hidden gems, it would still mean you have to trudge through 95% of bad games for no reason whatsoever. I don't know about you, but that would probably eventually make me start hating games in general, simply because I spend all my free time playing games that didn't bother or didn't make it through greenlight.
fab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

Not to be mean or discouraging, but why would you do that to yourself? There might be some hidden gems as you say, but generally, if you have developed a really good game and put a lot of effort into it, itchio isn't your target platform to sell from. Itchio has no barrier of entry so many people kind of use it as a dump to store their bad/unfinished/experimental games. I really don't think it'd be worth the time investment. Even if we assume that 5% of the games on itchio are hidden gems, it would still mean you have to trudge through 95% of bad games for no reason whatsoever. I don't know about you, but that would probably eventually make me start hating games in general, simply because I spend all my free time playing games that didn't bother or didn't make it through greenlight.

Maybe you are right. What would you think is the best way to find hidden gems?

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »

Does Itch let you sort by date reliably?

I want to see a game recommendation site where.. if 1 people like it, 100 people can see it. if 100 people like it, 1000 people see it. if < 100 people like it out of 1000... no one sees it again.

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »

I'd go through a curator. I think Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a free PC games section, and maybe other sites have one as well (I only follow gaming news on non-English sites so I'm not very knowledgable in that area). If I remember correctly, Nerdcubed also has a "three free games Friday" series going on, but I don't know if he's still doing it. But I'm sure there are dedicated Youtube channels out there that focus on free games.

There should also be some curators on Stream that specifically try to look for good free games, but I've never been that big on free games, so I don't know any.

I once followed a let's player on youtube who had made it his mission in life to go through every NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis game that has ever been published. All of these consoles had some quality control in place, but even despite that it still felt like about 95% of those games he played through were hot garbage.

Does Itch let you sort by date reliably?

I don't know. I usually only set foot on that site whenever I've clicked on a link outside of the site. Browsing through itchio feels a lot like browsing through Steam Greenlight to me, which isn't really a ringing endorsement...
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »

I've watched watch every video on youtube

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 02:10:15 PM »

gonna shamelessly plug my freeware games essentials list here
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 03:12:57 PM »

So you decided to spend the rest of your life searching in a trash bin for value.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic