Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 10:25:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJellyquest
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Jellyquest  (Read 1576 times)
darrentsung
Level 0

www.darrentsung.com

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2016, 03:57:04 PM »

Jellyquest is an arcade-y mobile game where you dodge small rocks, angry pufferfish, and other obstacles to find exotic ingredients. In the meta game, you turn those ingredients into drinks and sell them!

The game is being made with Unity - currently a one-man team.

Any and all feedback is welcome  Grin

If you like what you see and want to follow development consider following me on twitter!
https://twitter.com/darrentsung
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:35:28 AM by darrentsung » Logged
darrentsung
Level 0

www.darrentsung.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 09:21:59 AM »

Update #1 - Polish and User Level
This week I worked on polishing up the "production area" section of the game. I added in a brand new food truck sprite, animated numbers, and a flying coin when you collect your money Smiley

You can also see the new user level progression that I put in, where you have to finish all tasks to get to the next level. I spent a day getting dynamic object serialization working as a property drawer for Unity and the results are working pretty well so far!

The drawer uses reflection to get a dropdown of non-abstract / non-generic derived types of a specified type and then creates an instance of it using ScriptableObject.CreateInstance (types must be of type ScriptableObject to get fields with custom property drawers to draw correctly). It's then cached locally and serialized to a string using JsonUtility whenever it needs to save.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:36:59 AM by darrentsung » Logged
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »

I love the little food (er, drink) truck metagame idea. That's a fun twist on the 'endless climber' that I haven't seen before.

darrentsung
Level 0

www.darrentsung.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 10:24:38 AM »

I love the little food (er, drink) truck metagame idea. That's a fun twist on the 'endless climber' that I haven't seen before.
Thanks! It definitely adds a lot of good variety to the game and provides good feedback for the player's mastery of the game (serving more customers with more expensive, cool-looking drinks).

Update #2 - Area Selection
I just added area selection to jellyquest! I'm especially proud of how it pools and recycles objects when off-screen and the dynamic UI that slides when you slide over to a locked area!

Update #3 - How to Reduce Compile Time in Unity - Article
I also spent three days last week writing up an article about how to reduce compile time in Unity that I submitted to /r/Unity3d and some other unity3d related forums:
https://medium.com/@darrentsung/the-clocks-ticking-how-to-optimize-compile-time-in-unity-45d1f200572b

If you use Unity, this is a really important topic that I don't think is discussed enough! Take some time to read it and make your development workflow easier Smiley.

Also, I'm starting to update my twitter with more random gifs of development, so take a look if you're interested! https://twitter.com/darrentsung
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 10:36:35 AM by darrentsung » Logged
darrentsung
Level 0

www.darrentsung.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »

Update #4 - Polish Pass
Since my last update, I've been polishing up the "Production Area". I added some quick and dirty parallax with mountains in the background, which added a lot of depth to the scene without being much work!

I also re-did the art for the drink machines, adding a progress visualization for each drink you make. There are also a lot subtle improvements to the look and feel, like the coin images pulsing when the amount changes, etc.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic