Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:21:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe UK leaves the European Union
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Author Topic: The UK leaves the European Union  (Read 9601 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2016, 05:23:06 AM »

https://www.kent.ac.uk/uelt/staff/apt/profiles/jwilliams.html

ordinary woman from the street right there, folks
lol
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2016, 06:18:19 AM »

Personally, as an academic, I am SHOCKED that there exist people who disagree with me. I didn't think such a thing was even possible. I'm glad I have these Lone Voices Of Reason reminding me of this little known but important fact.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 06, 2016, 07:03:06 AM »

she got a grant to research the national student survey lol. the reason she hates academia is because she only just barely qualifies by default and had to hire a phd student to run spss to see if there was any association between "on a scale of 1-5 how much do you like uh, the rooms you sit in" and other important questions
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:09 AM »

hey, don't judge. SPSS is very challenging to use. for example when i needed it for a paper last year, i had to update java on my computer because i hadn't used it for anything in years. not everyone can do that!
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: July 06, 2016, 10:14:59 AM »

anyway, this piece is just typical right wing whining that "academia" is "too far left" complete with the usual caricature of academia as some sort of indoctrination camp, plus the completely ridiculous assertion that academics disagreeing with non-academics on things is proof of some sort of corruption. the whole point of academia is to develop new ideas, even (and especially) if those ideas are not commonly accepted. when those evil, out of touch !!REGRESSIVE LEFT!! academics first started developing the ideas that lead to the enlightenment in the mid 18th century, the "average ordinary person" would probably have thought they were crazy. also, certain ideas being more well received than other ideas is totally normal. or is it only a "free marketplace of ideas" when your ideas are popular and otherwise it's an "echo chamber"?

also yes, people tend to stick to their own circles and fear the "other". this is one of the reasons "ordinary" white people who live in fairly isolated rural or suburban communities are the biggest xenophobes and not the ones who actually live with immigrants.

I'm having a hard time sorting out your disdain for those who are not members of the intelligentsia against those who are. I throttled back a score of ultimately deleted, nastily sarcastic comments.
The point is that, yes, the intelligentsia are often better placed to view the next laws and direction of a country. The fact is that catering to them, owing to the faults of humanity (such as greed), renders such opinions suspect.
There will always be a contingent who are anti-academic. And ultimately, such cynicism is a good thing, even as much as you may rue it in the short run.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:03 AM »

the heck are you reading into my post?  WTF

i wasn't expressing disdain for people outside of intelligentsia, i was mocking the author of the article i responded to (who is an academic) equating being pro-brexit with "ordinary people" and using remain voting as an example of why academics are "out of touch". i was also criticizing her assertion that academics having different views from the supposed "masses" is proof that academics are somehow wrong, which is patently ridiculous because the job of academics is to develop new ideas that might not initially (or ever) be popular.

so tl;dr i wasn't saying it's wrong to criticize academia, just that this particular criticism is dumb.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 01:24:54 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 06, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »

it's right to criticise academics who are nothing but leeches hoovering up impenetrably titled research grants to perform dog shit that says and does nothing, whose sole job in life is to teach the next generation of youngsters who will make a choice between being eternally unemployable amorphous blobs with a degree in who cares or if they swallow their pride and do a teaching qualification so they can get paid to become the person who did this to them in the first place and perpetuate a vicious cycle
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 06, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »

art absolutely is vital to a healthy and sane society and the stem shitheads who deride people for studying a degree where they don't get paid by XueWei HanCorp Industries A Divison of Monoglot Incorporated Presents Xunguo Rubber Dicks Ltd to jack off to computers are morons but there is a cottage industry of worthless academics who get paid to "research" things while writing garbage articles for any new media dung pile that hasn't got enough flies on it yet because nobody else would ever pay for their words
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 06, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »

There seems to be a really dominant gross mindset these days that college is little more than a glorified job preparation center and that any/all liberal arts degrees are patently worthless and Science™ is the one true beacon of hope and progress and 100% reason in the academic world

it's also weird that these Science™ evangelists are so anti-religion when their own ideology is just as dogmatic
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 06, 2016, 02:48:35 PM »

There seems to be a really dominant gross mindset these days that college is little more than a glorified job preparation center and that any/all liberal arts degrees are patently worthless and Science™ is the one true beacon of hope and progress and 100% reason in the academic world

it's also weird that these Science™ evangelists are so anti-religion when their own ideology is just as dogmatic
the only astrophysicist i know is also hugely religious but is also one of those unimpeachably perfect people who comes from a family that volunteer at kenyan orphanages and shit. it's great
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 06, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »

i don't even blame them tbh, higher education is shifting more and towards mere job preparation anyway. the influence of the corporate world on universities is stronger than ever and government funding is lower than ever which in turn leads to an increased profit orientation disguised as "rationality". a lot of curricula are "streamlined" to the point where you only get a few options and have to specialize as early as possible rather than gaining a deeper understanding of the field as a whole. the way higher education is handled these days just facilitates that kind of thinking imo.

this isnt just about stem btw. it applies to every degree that's potentially economically lucrative. the right can get worked up about how academia is controlled by liberal arts marxists as much as they want, but in reality liberal arts is treated as pretty much a sideshow in academia (unfortunately).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 06, 2016, 06:41:44 PM »

the funniest shit is when people blanket dismiss social sciences as bullshit, then proceed to go on reddit and quote a statistic that totally proves the wage gap isn't real or something. who do they think makes those statistics?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 07, 2016, 06:14:02 PM »

after i saw these headlines in 2014 i knew: these people and their media counterparts are who i want to run the country, free from the oppressive yoke of europe who insist on things like basic rights

i like how openly trashing the declaration of human rights isn't just something 3rd world dictators do anymore, but has spread to european right wing politicians. definitely not a problematic development at all. the right wing party in my country has also criticized human rights, mainly for allowing all those Scary Brown People Who Are Definitely All Terrrrists from the middle east to seek asylum here.

So on the flip side, strict immigration laws and media censorship can protect certain structures. "Free and open" systems become dominated by juggernauts (suicide bombers, american media, BigCompanyThatBuysOutCompetitors).

allowing people to seek asylum is a human right (and for a good reason) and has 0 to do with a lax immigration policy. people trying to equate those 2 things and attacking the basic right to asylum is exactly the problem i was talking about.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2016, 01:33:27 PM »

I'm not saying I condone the denial of asylum, only that I can understand the (given) reasoning behind it. Allowing anyone to come into your system because their shit went bad can have a hazardous effect on your system. https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56834.msg1262443#msg1262443 < Like this thread locking.

This is just an unfortunate reality of having limited resources; sometimes policy dictates you deny help to others to better ensure your own survival. It's not pretty and if political structures were less corrupt they could probably spend more resources on taking care of their citizens & immigrating citizens.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 01:43:30 PM by quantumpotato » Logged

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »

hello. the universal declaration of human rights is a thing that exists and isn't up for discussion for nations that signed it

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »

hello. the universal declaration of human rights is a thing that exists and isn't up for discussion for nations that signed it

Are you being tongue-in-cheek here?
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2016, 07:27:34 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2016/jul/11/david-cameron-hums-tune-after-statement-on-theresa-may-video

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2016, 12:20:25 PM »

I just heard about Larry The Cat today. I like him.

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2016, 12:38:25 PM »

I just heard about Boris Johnson becoming the new Minister of Foreign Affairs™.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jul/12/how-technology-disrupted-the-truth
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic