Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:02:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAdventure Delivery Service [Procedural ARPG]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Adventure Delivery Service [Procedural ARPG]  (Read 1907 times)
qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »

Update 3/20/2017: The game is done! Check it out for free on itch.io!

https://miller-tinkerhess.itch.io/adventure-delivery-service

Original Post

Adventure Delivery Service is a game about a delivery person just trying to do their job in a city overrun by monsters. You'll pick up packages from deep inside dangerous dungeons and deliver them to customers who are too scared to go outside.

It's a procedurally generated ARPG. It's like a top-down Zelda game, with some Dark Souls mechanics thrown in, in a setting kind of like Earthbound, with an overarching gameplay structure kind of like Spelunky or Rogue Legacy.

I'm doing this thing solo so far. I've been working on it since the beginning of April. I'm hoping to have some kind of release by early 2017, maybe some kind of early access.

Feel free to give criticism! I want this game to be fun and if people don't tell me why it sucks I won't be able to make it not suck.

I've been keeping a dev blog at http://dagambagames.com too if you want to check out older screenshots and stuff.

Thanks for checking it out!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:42:35 PM by qryll » Logged
bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:14:07 AM »

Sounds like fun Smiley

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »

It's a good start!

Here are some random assorted thoughts:
- I'm not a huge fan of "exhaustion" mechanics in games. Maybe that's personal taste, but your meter in particular seems to jump around a lot, and you never seem to be in a position where it matters that much (except once where you backed away instead of swinging your sword).
- I don't think you need the camera rotation unless you plan on doing something fun with it. Just seems a bit superfluous right now.
- I like the combat; looks pretty responsive and simple while still providing some fun.
- I'd spend some time on the UI, especially the top HUD. Right now it's a big mess of colored bars that are hard to decipher.

qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:09:31 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! Those are some really helpful suggestions for me!

I put the stamina bar in there to try to be more like Dark Souls, to make the combat a little more deliberate / slow paced than something like Hyper Light Drifter. But you're right -- I've tuned it so it doesn't run out very often, and it can be frustrating when it does run out. I'll try removing it -- it definitely seems like a candidate for something to cut.

The main reason I have the camera rotation is so that in the overworld you can have buildings on both sides of a street, which lets you pack more buildings into a smaller area and avoids having weirdness like only having south-facing buildings in the city, or having to do outline shaders for units that are behind buildings. Maybe that's not a good enough reason -- it's certainly not core to the experience, and it would be better to simplify things if I don't need it.

I think the combat needs to be really fun -- I think that's going to be the core of why people play the game, is satisfying combat. Right now some of the enemies are way too easy, but I think the enemies that can block your attacks create an interesting challenge. I want to continue to experiment with different enemy designs to try to find more variety there.

You're totally right about the UI. That's something I had stubbed in early on and then I guess I kind of got used to it -- I definitely need to work on that.
qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 05:55:07 PM »

This is the second week in a row I’ve uploaded a gameplay video. Let’s see if I can make this a weekly thing.

Some of the changes since last week:

• Moodier lighting in dungeons.
  • New models for dungeon floors and walls.
  • Added torches to dungeons.
  • Dungeon rooms and hallways get wiggled a little bit so they don’t line up right on a grid.
  • When the player is in a dungeon room, the camera keeps the room in frame.
  • Removed stamina and weapon durability.
  • The player can only hold two weapons instead of four.
  • Elemental effects aren’t tied to a particular weapon anymore — you pick up items that give your weapons those effects.
  • Added pickups that boost player stats.
  • There’s only one kind of grenade (removed fire grenade and proximity grenade).
  • You can only hold one consumable item at a time.
  • Roads and sidewalks are wider.
  • One block in the city is a park with a fountain.
  • Changed controls (see below).
  • Removed a lot of custom physics code, using more Unity physics now instead.
  • Performance improvements.

Some of things I'm thinking of working on next:

Force the player to fight the enemies in the overworld. I'm thinking there could be blockers in the street that wouldn't go away until you defeat all the enemies on that block. That would work kind of similarly to how the dungeons work. At the moment it's way too easy to just run past all the enemies in the overworld.

Add parked cars to the streets. Maybe make some streets wider than others, and give them a solid yellow line instead of dotted. Maybe give them traffic lights at intersections instead of stop signs.

Add more consumable items. Right now the only consumable is a health potion. I'm thinking temporary effects could be cool, like invincibility, super speed, super damage, etc. Consumables could also be spells / special attacks.

Figure out the shop situation. Right now a bunch of the buildings in the city are shops, which means they have NPCs in them that will sell you health potions. I don't really like how open-ended that is, I don't want the player thinking they need to go into every single building in the city in order to play optimally. So I need to think about that. I also need to figure out what items get sold in the shops, and what makes them different from items that get dropped or are found in chests.

And of course eventually I need to keep making more content. I want to try more enemy designs, like enemies that have projectile attacks, stationary enemies like turrets, enemies whose movement patterns are unrelated to what the player does, enemies that don't have attacks but just deal damage on collision. Also more variation in interior spaces, so like rooms that have lava pits, or sculptures, more miscellaneous junk lying around, different tiles for the floor and walls, different lighting fixtures, better layout for houses and shops, etc., etc.
qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 10:35:48 PM »

It's been forever since I posted on here but I'm still working on the game!

I got a day job again in October so the progress hasn't been as regular as I would have liked but that's okay Smiley

The game is available for download (free!) at https://dagambagames.itch.io/adventure-delivery-service.

This was a productive week for me so I collected some gifs:

I have a new draft of the drawing of “The Professor”. I got the feedback at GE2 that he looked too much like a certain professor from another game, so I’m trying to make him a little more different. Might still be some work to do there.

The dungeon is now two levels deep! On the first floor, where the boss would have been, there’s a ladder that leads to the second level. On the second level there’s still a boss.

I added a new UI menu to show a detailed comparison between the weapon you’re currently holding and the weapon you’re thinking of picking up. It’s based on a clipboard in order to have some thematic consistency with the “delivery service” idea. I added flavor text for all the weapons and shields.

I also used the clipboard for the pause menu, which shows your current player stats. The HUD slides on and off the screen when these menus pop up instead of just disappearing.

One last thing, I added a HUD icon for “unarmed” to show that even if you don’t have a weapon you can still press X to attack:

Overall I’m pretty happy with the work I did this week. I’ve got plenty on my to-do list but there’s some stuff on there that I’m pretty excited about. Stay tuned!
qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:16:33 PM »

Progress this week! As usual this is all in the current build available for download (free!) at https://dagambagames.itch.io/adventure-delivery-service.

I added new models and animations for the spiders and the bats.

I did a lot of work on the initial dialogue with “The Professor”. There’s a circle wipe at the very beginning, the camera zooms in, there’s a watch on the player with a little hologram that pops up, the UI with the text in it is a new model, there’s a hologram effect on the animation in the UI, and if you look closely you’ll see that the animation is synced between the UI and the model on the player.

I reused that circle wipe when you enter the dungeon…

http://dagambagames.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Zoom-into-ladder.gif

…and when you use a ladder. Which you do more now because the dungeon is three levels deep instead of two.

I added keys that open special rooms where you can buy stuff.

You need a golden key to unlock the boss room.

And finally, I added a sweet zoom in animation to the camera when you die.

That's it for this week!
nu_muso
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:37:47 AM »

I really liked it! The art is awesome and I think that the pacing of the characters is just right. It gives you time to plan your attacks and evade. Oh and I loved the music. Great job! Beer!
qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 11:54:27 PM »

Thanks nu_muso for the support!

I spent the last couple of weeks working on revamping the main menu, including adding an upgrades menu. That means the game has meta progression now! When you play the game you collect computer chips, which you can spend in the upgrades menu to make your character stronger.

Also new since the last update, the player model has a higher-resolution texture, and it picks different shirt, pants, shoes, and watch each playthrough. Eventually I want to expand that to different faces, body shapes, hair styles, and skin colors, so you get really different characters each playthrough.

Here’s what the intro flow looks like at the moment. This is all work in progress, I’d like to at least give the main menu a background so that it’s not just a black background, and also do something more interesting with the loading bar.

Svetlana
Level 1

part-time composer, full-time squirrel girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »

i really like the art so far but how cool would it be if you just turned off the goraud shading to make it look more like a ps1 era game

the premise is really neat too

personal blog
game music portfolio <3 <3 <3 please hire me
avatar by the lovely lovely dickmissiles~
qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 10:57:26 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Svetlana! I actually used to have it toon shaded but an artist friend of mine suggested I do regular shading so that objects have a better sense of depth and also so that I can do more with lighting. Maybe there could be a powerup or something that would change the shading temporarily...
qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »

I'm continuing to make progress! I've been spending more time on the main menu, as well as underlying work trying to get the various random distributions to feel good. Here are a bunch of screenshots from the current build.

If anyone wants to give the game a shot you can download it at https://dagambagames.itch.io/adventure-delivery-service. I'm trying to get the difficulty right, I want it to be tricky but not so hard that it's not fun, and I'm worried that since I've played the game a lot I'm not very good at judging the difficulty.

qryll
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »

I finally finished the game! I decided it's more important to me to have people play this thing than to try to make any money from it, so I released it for free on itch.io!

https://miller-tinkerhess.itch.io/adventure-delivery-service

Let me know what you think!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic