Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:11:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMonster Hunter Generations
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Monster Hunter Generations  (Read 2071 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2016, 06:13:13 AM »

Release date:
Japan - November 28, 2015
North America, Europe - July 15, 2016
Australia - July 16, 2016

A demo is available in the eShop starting June 15 in Europe and June 30 in North America.

Features
Weapon Styles: Each hunter can choose 1 of 4 attack styles for their weapon type. This modifies the moveset of the weapon, allowing you to use new aerial attacks, special attacks or counterattacks. The Guild Style uses a similar moveset as the previous games.
Hunting Arts: These are more powerful attacks that need to be charged up before they can be used. They can have a variety of effects including buffs and healing.
Palico Mode: Players can choose to play as a Palico, gaining new abilities. Palico players can burrow underground, gather quickly, use support skills and have extra lives that allow revival without carting.
New Monsters: 12 new large monsters and 3 small monsters are added. Deviant Monsters are also introduced. They appear similar to a Subspecies, but have a completely different moveset compared to the normal monster.
Weapon upgrading system has been reworked to be less RNG dependent. Weapons and armor can now gain levels which improves their effectiveness.

Monster Hunter Generations uses the same game engine as MH4U. Frenzied and Apex monsters do not return in this game.
If there is save data from MH4U on your SD card, you will gain an in-game reward.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 06:15:42 AM »

From what I've been told this is a spinoff title outside of the main series of MH games, with many experimental mechanics, in preparation for the development of Monster Hunter 5. It may be less polished than MH4U, so keep this in mind before purchase.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »

It may be less polished than MH4U, so keep this in mind before purchase.

Don't care it's Monster Hunter. :D

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 04:24:44 PM »

From what I've been told this is a spinoff title outside of the main series of MH games, with many experimental mechanics, in preparation for the development of Monster Hunter 5.

bit weird that we basically get to test ideas for mh5, but ok. actually that makes it interesting to me. if it was just an expansion for mh4 ultimate i probably wouldn't be interested (because im not even done with THAT yet).
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

Why sell one games in a franchise when you can sell two?
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 10:58:36 PM »

I've played the demo and I'm shocked. It's the same MH4 with some reskins. Devs have balls of steel if they're not afraid to release something like that.
MH4 is an awesome game, but man...
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 11:07:10 PM »

I'll be honest, the main reason I'm buying this is that you can play as a cat and it pleases my furry feelings. Kiss

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 05:43:28 PM »

I've played the demo and I'm shocked. It's the same MH4 with some reskins. Devs have balls of steel if they're not afraid to release something like that.
welcome to Japanese games

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 05:52:20 PM »

welcome to Capcom

ftfy
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 11:35:04 PM »

welcome to Japanese games

Well, I've played enough of Japanese series(DMC, MGS, Persona, Resident Evil), but I guess those are more western-oriented ones.
I've recently finished Final Fantasy Type-0 HD, which initially was for Japan market only. And man, this is one of the most monotonous games that I've ever played. Final boss battle is pure garbage. I guess Japanese gamers prefer grinding over variety.
Though there are plenty of western games that are simple reskins of other games. Fallout 4, almost any Assassins creed game, Battlefield/COD series, etc. Smiley
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 02:08:15 AM »

Quality of Life changes in MHGen:
"Remove all decorations" option.
Name your room when hosting an online game.
Hold A to continue gathering until depleting the gathering point.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 02:33:40 AM »

Hold A to continue gathering until depleting the gathering point.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 03:22:50 AM »

And it took how many games to implement that? Somebody's been asleep at the wheel.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 03:54:30 AM »

it took them like 6 games (including expanded rereleases) to even mark gathering spots in an obvious way.

see, the important thing to understand about capcom is this: if they can repackage a game with a minimum amount of new content and sell it at full price, they will.

Tigsource Forum Post 1226868 Ultimate Turbo G HD Remix
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:59:33 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 04:23:34 AM »

It reminded me of Kingdom Hearts' game titles.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 02:21:46 AM »

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 05:22:02 PM »

Arial style is bae

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 01:14:49 AM »

Release day is today. I put my 3DS into sleep mode so I can download it while I'm at work. Gon' be hunting all weekend. CrazyHand Joystick

Slowminder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 01:36:57 AM »

Release day is today. I put my 3DS into sleep mode so I can download it while I'm at work. Gon' be hunting all weekend. CrazyHand Joystick
What I've noticed is that MH games are barely playable on standard 3DS and New 3DS. The screen is just too small. Sold my standard 3ds and bought New 3DS XL. The 2nd stick is garbage, though. I dunno why they couldn't duplicate 1st stick.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »

After HR1 and Village 2* here are my thoughts so far:

1. The pacing is real wonky compared to MH4U and definitely a step back in that regard. In 4U you get to fight tough monsters early on and it even shows you a Jhen Mohran in the tutorial sequence (though it's not really a battle of course). MHGen has lots of gathering quests in 1* and 2* before the big monster hunts begin. To be fair, most of the Monster Hunter games are like this, but it's unfortunate that the series is regressing to the usual bad start after seeing such great pacing in the 4U Low Rank.

2. If you like cats then this is definitely the game for you. They really went all in on the cats and they have their own skill system which is quite comprehensive. You can get cats that do just about anything you want by mixing and matching the moves and skills. I also appreciate that the option to play as a Prowler is unlocked immediately when the game begins. This helps to keep the game fresh during the endless gathering quests because gathering as a Prowler is actually pretty cool.

Fun fact: when you switch to the Prowler Mode it even replaces the hunter shown in the main menu with the cat that you picked, so basically the hunter you spent so much time customizing on your file is completely invisible until you switch back. RIP.

If there's one thing I didn't like about MH4U it is that Palicos got the rough end of the deal - you couldn't bring more than one Palico to a hunt because the Ace Palico always had to be in your party. I'm glad they got rid of the Ace in this gam so you can bring two custom cats to a hunt instead of always the Ace + 1 other Palico.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic