Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:17:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMTV for indie games. (24/7 indie game trailers/videos.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MTV for indie games. (24/7 indie game trailers/videos.)  (Read 1002 times)
jeffool
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2016, 09:34:46 PM »

Visibility is a brutal problem, even for AAA teams with AAA budgets, and they only sometimes beat it. If you're simply "a" developer, it's far more daunting. You're competing with not only other small developers (here meaning small devs/publishers, indie developers, and amateur developers), but also the AAA games (and really the rest of the web). I want to offer something a little different to help small developers like you get a better shot at those eyeballs, and I think it's better if indie games pitch in together. So I've started this thing on Twitch/YouTube called Screenlook.

The pitch: A 24/7 stream of smaller games' trailers and content. I want people to be able to drop in at any time and find something new to play. And once a week, maybe once a month, I want a scheduled time for new videos to be added. Why would people tune in? Because the indie gaming community has more to offer in the way of "interesting" and "new" than many of the presentations shown at E3, save new hardware. And let's be honest, we all know of some indie hardware floating around (handhelds or the likes) that are actually pretty neat.

My action: I've already started a regular collection of trailers/videos from smaller developers. No commentary, no playing, just a raw, constant feed of game trailers/videos. The first four "episodes" can be seen here, and the next episode is this Friday night. It's not complex; that's intentional. But reaching out to people is time consuming because I'm trying to explain it,

The call to action: I've been emailing developers individually and asking permission to use their trailers, but I'll admit, I'd love for people here to contact me if you've got a trailer or neat video from your game. (Ideally it's launching soon, or has recently, but that's not make-or-break.)

What am I asking of you? Permission to use your game trailer, or an interesting minute+ showing your game. And to let me point people to your game online. And being okay with me making money off of it.

Oh, here we go. If I stream to Twitch that's ~2GB for 1hr of 1080 video, 24 hours a day, 30 days a month, that's about 1.5 TB of data. Yeah, this will eventually cost. A commercial line with 1TB costs $250/month where I live. Double that is $500/month, assuming it's not higher given how ISPs do data buckets. Offloading the mechanics of submitting and streaming the content would be a bigger project than I can handle alone, but feedback there is appreciated if you're smart about such things.

Growth. In a few months, (see? Big idea, but reasonable approach) at the current rate I'll have 3 or 4 hours of content, and I could reasonably start streaming them on a schedule. Quicker the more developers that support the idea, obviously. I've reached out to some small publishers about using their trailers, and a couple have been receptive. But at this prenatal stage any success, like gaining attention and content, will be mainly from word of mouth.

To that end, if anyone has videos of their games, or trailers, or ideas/content to contribute, I'd love to talk about it. Here is fine, so is jeffool at gmail, or as jeffool on twitter if you prefer. Here's the latest episode of Screenlook, so you don't even have to leave the post:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:30:19 AM by jeffool » Logged

Screenlook - A spotlight on indie game video/trailers. Babysteps toward a channel.<br />@Jeffool
alexp
Level 0

Freelancer and game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 06:28:11 AM »

First thing I would do is fix the broken links in that post bro!

jeffool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »

... Well, egg on my face. Thanks for the note, Alex. Done.

Screenlook - A spotlight on indie game video/trailers. Babysteps toward a channel.<br />@Jeffool
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »

How do you point people towards the games? Would there be screens after or before each trailer? can you coordinate all that?
jeffool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »

In the videos I've done so far I have a title screen before each trailer for two seconds, and a screen after each trailer with the title, a website for the game, and a Twitter account handle, for three. This might not seem like much, but also consider that virtually every trailer has the game's name in it. They're usually viewed alone. The title cards are, in my opinion, just a little extra that not EVERY trailer or video might.

While live-streaming the hour that I currently do each Friday, I also post links during each trailer in Twitch chat. These are saved in each Twitch Highlight, which now also saves chats. In the YouTube description I also post timestamps and relevant website links for each trailer.

alexp
Level 0

Freelancer and game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 02:22:19 AM »

It's a good idea overall and great that you are engaging with the indie devs.

jeffool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »

Well thanks man. Maybe I should've titled this "call for submissions" or the likes instead though. Which is to say, to all reading this with a game out, or coming out, I'd love for you to contact me.

I'll be going through threads and websites tomorrow/Thursday (my days off) looking for new things. But if I could find a way to elicit submissions instead, I'd love to create more, faster.

If anyone has any insight on getting developers to pitch in their trailers or videos on this project, I'd love to hear it. And if there's anyone against this idea, I'd love to talk about why. I'm editing chunks now, but the larger picture is still very much a concept.

Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »

While the idea is interesting and I would have no problem getting a signal boost to my trailers, I have to wonder if 24/7 indie game trailer stream is something people would like to watch? Just the argument about indie games having a lot to offer isn't going to be enough alone.

What's your plan of getting people to know about your stream? Obviously us devs will know about it but how are you going to reach the gamers?

Why is the branding and logo different in each of your youtube videos?

Why are the streaming costs so high? I've never streamed before myself so I just thought it was pretty much pressing the record button in OBS when it's linked with Twitch.

Anyway, I'll be following the progress of your project closely. I have a lot of trailers from my own projects and client projects that could use extra views so color me interested.

jeffool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 04:02:48 AM »

While the idea is interesting and I would have no problem getting a signal boost to my trailers, I have to wonder if 24/7 indie game trailer stream is something people would like to watch?

I'm absolutely not saying that this will be the next Bob Ross on Twitch or AGDQ, but I do think there's the potential for interest. In recent years interest in indie games has only grown, and I see absolutely not reason for that to change. I imagine most here don't either. I think something like this can cater to that interest. I mean, at 7:30am Eastern US time 249 people are watching a MUGEN channel where the AI plays itself, and people are making bets. And not real money, fake money with no winnings or trading it. Just Internet points and chat while it happens. And it has 73k followers. If this got 10k, I'd call it a success for a large number of these games that may unfortunately not meet appreciative players.

And will people watch it? I don't know. I hope so. I like the idea, anyway. And that's why I want to do this. It's something I already wish existed in the world, and if I had money, would endeavor upon its creation. Like MTV, I'm not against related content. But unlike MTV I don't want to lose the message, in this case being a place to find out about smaller games.

What's your plan of getting people to know about your stream? Obviously us devs will know about it but how are you going to reach the gamers?

Getting people to know about it is, exactly the same problem everyone here is facing, or will face. Part of this will be the same activities of posts and press releases when I'm able to launch 24/7. And of course, there's social media (went and grabbed @_screenlook the other day). The latter part will be important because, as anyone who has had a trailer on it will tell you, I say "I'll let you know before your episode goes live." I'm trying to get better about the timing (days before instead of that morning.) I tell them the stream, the time, the YouTube link if it's uploaded and hidden, and I ask if they're willing to tweet or retweet about the show. No hard feelings if not.

The key part of this entire idea is "stronger together than apart". If 30 developers tweeted about each other, that's 30 tweets each, for 900 total tweets to push toward each other. If 30 developers push toward Screenlook, that's one tweet per developer, 30 total, and equal reach for those involved. And even in just a dozen developers, ranging from a few dozen followers to 100k (not counting a tinyBuild or similar small publisher that has given permission.) A few developers have gone along with it. I'm hoping to create a healthy organic growth along with those I'm trying to help grow.

Other ideas. There are additional ideas to be had. In my initial post I often said "video" or "content". I'm not opposed to special events for some games' releases. If a few dozen viewers can be relied on, an amateur who only planned to upload on itch.io and tweet a few times might be willing to premiere their game and do an interview about it. Would YOU be willing to premiere your game on a show if I could guarantee a few hundred live viewers, and more in reruns? If I ever could get those 10k, and a thousand or two at a time? I'm willing to bet some small developers would come on the channel, talk about their game, maybe premiere a new trailer or video from the game. Get some attention both from having them on, and ideally they push to the channel to promote it as well.

Theoretically one could start with interviews and then branch out into the videos/trailers idea, and that's plausible. But that's not how I want to build the image of it, nor should interviews be the focus. (Though working as a TV news producer it's not really a problem to do.) But I might consider it, or even speaking with someone already doing that, and asking them if they want to join forces on that front. Maybe pick out a time for interviews to air every night, and do new ones each week, like the idea of adding a new block of indie game trailers/videos each week.

Why is the branding and logo different in each of your youtube videos?

Because I'm thinking about a stream that lasts 24/7. A little variance isn't a bad thing. That said, I will likely have a single logo (or a take of the "SL") soon for avatar usage on Twitter, Twitch, and YouTube.

Why are the streaming costs so high? I've never streamed before myself so I just thought it was pretty much pressing the record button in OBS when it's linked with Twitch.

Sure, but your data has to get from your home to Twitch's servers, right? And ISPs have data caps. Those data caps aren't just on how much you download, your upload counts to that total as well. And for all the talk about which providers have no data caps, even here in the US if you move 1 TB of data, someone's going to notice. And they're probably going to shut you down. And they'll definitely shut you down if you're operating a business on a residential plan. Business plans cost more than your typical residential home Internet plan does. Often they come with a higher data cap and other perks, but they'll still charge for anything over the plan.

My local provider that offers the best service is $250 for 1 TB. Some quick math tells me doing 24/7 would be about 1.5 TB, so we're talking $500. Then add in regular Internet usage, and I might have to buy a third.

Obviously starting off 720 might be the better choice than 1080.

Anyway, I'll be following the progress of your project closely. I have a lot of trailers from my own projects and client projects that could use extra views so color me interested.

Thanks for the interest. I'm more than happy to answer any questions people may have about this. I mean, obviously it's not a "get rich quick off other people's work", as it won't make me rich. It's just something I think should exist. If anyone out there wants to offer a trailer or video from their game, I'd love for you to reach out to me. I'm Jeffool at gmail.

Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 05:17:27 AM »

Sure, but your data has to get from your home to Twitch's servers, right? And ISPs have data caps.

Ah, of course. We don't have data caps in Finland so I always forget that those exist. That is very expensive to run a streaming channel with those kind of rates.

I do hope it all works out for you and it won't be just a massive expense for you. I added you to my Special Twitch Streamer press list so I know to contact you whenever there are trailers I could send your way.

Good luck!

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 06:03:43 PM »

How do you determine what games to show?

jeffool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »

I just try to keep an open mind about what makes for an interesting video or trailer, and an interesting game. And I hope I've cast as wide a net as possible in that.

As things are now, I'm doing a "soft launch" and am able to pick and choose, able to go after the things I want on Screenlook. There inevitably will be a point where I need to consider mixing in even more amateur looking games and videos, especially consider not everyone knows Adobe Premiere. Just like I can't program anymore. (I used to. I went to school for it. I wanted to make games. Now I want to be involved in the scene in a different way.)

What it boils down to is simply some aspect, something about the video, be it a design element of the game in question, the game's style, art, music, the video's style, the use of any or all of those elements together, something, that makes me go "Huh. How about that."

It's an unfortunate grace that there's a lot of good looking (aesthetically pleasing, professional looking) material out there that just isn't as popular as it probably should be... It makes this look good, really. But that's not all that's out there, nor is it all I'm looking for.

I would gladly accept any video that has something interesting about it. Anything that makes me go "huh". (And isn't already insanely well known by every person who games. Unless EA or someone wants to buy an ad to help me spread the word of smaller games.)

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »

Will you be playing the games or are you only aggregating videos & trailers?

jeffool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 12:59:16 AM »

If you mean playing games on the stream, no. I'll be airing segments like this, one after the other:

And if you mean if I personally will be asking for copies of the games to put them on the stream? I've never asked for a game or key, and I never plan to. (Unless we're talking far out ideas as outlined in the "Other ideas" segment above.) I realize there's the chance someone knows how to edit video better than they know how to make a game, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Besides:

a) I don't have time to play every game.
b) I don't think my judgment would align with every other person, and I'm not trying to create a stream about me.

That said, I think three people of the dozens have given me keys. One I haven't redeemed because I don't know anyone irl who would be interested in playing that game with me. (My friends aren't nerdy like me.) One I just haven't taken time and I don't recall which it was to be honest, so I'd have to hunt for it. The one I did redeem was because it was Raining Blobs. C'mon. Look at this:

It's beautiful. It hits all those buttons in your heart that old crazy Japanese games did, or at least the idea of them. (Plus Puzzle Bobble at the old bowling alley next door to where I used to buy my comics...) And even then I only played 10 minutes because I played it knowing my controller is broke and I haven't bought another yet.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic