Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:45:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrash World
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crash World  (Read 3985 times)
mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2016, 12:53:01 PM »

Crash World is a totally realistic racing game, where the cops are really smart.

Alpha available at https://gamejolt.com/games/crash-world/218475!

We're building real simulations here.

With ultra smart cops.

And (not really dead) people!

Best action scenes.

Because physics are fun!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:31:08 PM by mgrilec2 » Logged

CRASH WORLDDEVLOG | WEBSITE | TWITTER
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »

Looks like a lot of fun!  I was just thinking about wanting to play a Carmaggeddon type game again the other day Smiley

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:03:24 PM »

This looks fantastic. Though I'd say you might want to increase the speed ramp - it seems to start out a bit slow.

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:55:02 AM »

Going through my backlog a bit since I just started devlogging... I want to say a little about traffic and it's AI. I'm laying down splines for the traffic spawners, the splines can have multiple paths and the traffic cars have basic collision avoidance. Opted for the splines for more control but it's also more work! But hell, better than writing a full city traffic AI  Grin

Anyway have a little demo of the traffic AI.

https://everyplay.com/videos/30704857

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 02:57:51 PM »

What's the joy in driving a tank without shooting? So I made it shoot!

The targeting wasn't as easy as I thought as you have to move 2 turret components separately; the turret body and the barrel. Some space transformations going on here that made the whole thing mush easier - get the target in the tanks local space. Then calculate 2 angles, the Y angle of the turret using the standard Atan2 and the X angle of the barrel using Asin.

Also a bit of magic when picking targets - pick the targets visible on the screen, otherwise the tank would constantly target stuff behind me that's offscreen.

You can see the results here.

Ogniok
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 07:14:25 AM »

I'll just leave it here...

http://gamejolt.com/games/grand-theft-taxi/129845

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 02:44:10 AM »

Was wondering if someone else had the same idea  Smiley You did that in 48h? Wow, took me 3 months...  Beer!

I'm pivoting from a fixed world setting, and I'm just finishing "infinite" mode where the city spawns as you go. Hopefully I'll be releasing some videos soon Smiley

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 06:23:19 AM »

Hahaha! Love this idea and the screen shots on the website and devlog. Hilarious.

Out of curiosity - was the music in that video placeholder, or is that something you've created/found? It's fitting, but it seemed like the loop was very short (I think it played twice in :45?).

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 05:47:25 AM »

Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun capturing those silly screenshots and I hope the players will fill that role one day.

There was a royalty free music bundle a while back (kinda like Humble Bundle, but for music) with a couple of rock tunes, so I used those. Total of 3 tracks each being 2-3 minutes long. Turns out music is a big contributor to installation size, so I'm keeping the total size low, but my plan is to use downloadable content later on so that won't be an issue.

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:12:27 AM »

Whoop whoop!

Started adding cops to our infinite mode. Still a lot of tweaking, but I managed to grab some awesome camera footage!

Also, we've done a private demo! Still lacks a lot of features, but we're showing it to people who're interested in the game. So if you want to see what we've got send me a PM!

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »

Changed first post.

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 01:18:30 AM »

Seems fun, I post to follow.

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »

So my last month or so was focused on adding some eyecandy to the game.

Nice intro

New menu

Even better menus

Even better menus!!!

So it's been 6 months since I started, and I'm aiming to finish this up and release. After all, you should release "early and often".

Tell me how you like the game and would you play it?

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 02:06:09 PM »

This month is all about optimization. I'm diving deep into pooling and batching here. Currently the iOS version is running great on every device after iPhone 5s, but the Android version is riddled with spikes and low performance problems. My goal is to bring the Android version to par with the iOS. To do this I've done the following:

Optimized object and module spawning

Modules are parts of the game world that spawn as you go. I had a terrible spike problem when spawing modules. The modules can have 200+ simple and complex objects that spiked hard when spawning all at once. For this I implemented a post processing pipeline for the modules that does the following:

For each movable object I replace that object with a placeholder that spawns the real object when the player gets near, and despawns it when the player is far away. I couldn't pool all the movable objects because it's hard to return some into their initial state after being in the game world. These are pedestrians with ragdolls, breakable objects, props, etc.

I did implement pooling on what's left of the modules after filtering movable objects, and also I pooled the particle effects.

Atlased models

I'm still in the process of doing this, and I'm atlasing textures and meshes into as little materials as possible. This is just step one for the following phase: static batching. I indend to (as a part of the post process mentioned above) merge meshes that share the same material into a single mesh, bringing down my batch count considerable in theory.

Although the game is nearly feature complete, I'm deciding to postpone the launch until February 2017. Two reasons for this:

1. To avoid the Christmas jungle on the app stores
2. I'm really not in a hurry to release the game. I'd rather use the time to build up a following, talk to publishers and polish the game some more

That said, I'm going to start giving out new demo's as soon as I have the feature complete gameplay. To get notified, either reply here or message me!

mgrilec2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »

There's now an alpha version of the game available at Game Jolt. https://gamejolt.com/games/crash-world/218475

Interesting how a couple of kind words from strangers can lift your spirit  Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic