Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:36:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioStock Libraries
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stock Libraries  (Read 1328 times)
zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »

Hey,

I'm sort of new to the forums, but in the past couple months it's been great getting to know (if even just a little bit) a TON of amazing creative people!

Anyway, I've talked to a couple people on here about it one on one, but I thought I'd start a thread. I'm curious if any of you guys have much experience or insight on audio libraries. I've heard both good and bad about the microstock sites like AudioJungle - personally I'm sketched out by the notion of throwing away the ability to register music with a PRO. I've looked into other libraries as well. Any thoughts?

Another question: Has anyone tried setting up their own online storefront for licensing music in a similar fashion? I'd imagine all you'd need to do is attach an EULA and you could literally license stuff straight through bandcamp. Sadly, (based on some recent experiences) it seems many developers on a tight budget are more inclined to try to get a composer to work for free than to pay a small licensing fee for already written music. Anyone tried it though?

Toast LeftWho, Me?Toast Right

-Brian

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21:53 PM »

I have never tried to sell any music, but I have bought a few albums on Bandcamp to support my friends. I'm about to try and sell some music now tho, because I will soon be looking to sell a game I made - featuring my music. I know you can sell your music through the front I use now, but I won't: https://hearthis.at/ingemann-strunch/

Notice the red boxes btw, that's my placements on the weekly chart. Nice feature.

So, I guess I'm looking to sell out through gaming. I have epilepsy, so I have declined several offers of playing at festivals and happenings (flashing light). I will always be a bedroom composer. And I will also make games in said bedroom.

Michael Klier
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »

In regards to sales on these sites. I did a couple of test runs on audiojungle and pond5 with sound effects and a couple of tracks (music is not really my strongest suit though). I basically let it sit there with no extra advertising (i.e. social media etc.). This generated zero sales over the course of 3-4 month.

I came to the conclusion that in order to make this work you really have to prepare a ton of content (maybe >100 tracks) and also maybe do some sort of advertising to push people to your stuff. This takes a lot of time away from the time I should probably better use to push my freelancing. So I dropped that idea.

If I every have enough tracks ready I would first try to get a licensing deal with one of the big players like www.bmg.com. Their clients are TV/Radio channels.

However, I've also a couple of small sample packs on the Unity3D Asset store. And these generate a couple of sales on a monthly basis. I'm not sure how well music does on there, but I assume devs are more drawn to the free stuff there as well. I'm definitely going to explore this more in the future when I have some time to kill.

Regarding running your own store. I think it's all about convenience and whether you want to handle all the extra work this involves.

Sound Design, Audio Implementation, Music
Reel Twitter
Working on

Díoltas
Level 0

https://soundcloud.com/dioltasmusic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 06:08:26 PM »

I've put a few tracks up (like 5 now I think) and gotten a few sales. One particularly sold better than the rest, but nothing substantial. As mentioned above it seems like you need to have a lot of tracks to put up. There is definitely money to be made though but I would in no way say it's any easier than any other revenue stream you might be looking at tapping into. I read up on this quite a bit a while back when I was considering getting into it and the people who are making substantial revenue from sites like pond5 etc. have over 1000 songs on it and expect each song to sell maybe 5-10 times on average (there are exceptions, some extreme examples are some tracks I found with over 1000 purchases...which at 20-30$ per customer is a LOT of money, but those are the exceptions). My view is the work I do today on a song might take up to 2-3 years to get paid for it. It's a cumulative project and you'd need to figure out just how much time you want to dedicate to it and how much you, realistically, expect to earn from it. There ya go, the benefit of my hours and hours of research haha. Hope it helps. Go look on the pond5 forums too, they have a good community there who all seem to pull together and help eachother rather than just view everyone as competition. Also, try to find a niche that isn't saturated already (movie trailer style orchestral music for example).

Garrett@Indaba
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:52:22 AM »

Hey all,

I work at a company that does music licensing (mostly web ads but some larger projects and trying to get more into game licensing) so maybe my input could be helpful. There's a number of companies like ours that do smaller licenses but try to get more of them. The deals can range a bit but in general the baseline seems to be a 50/50 split between company and creator and a non-exclusive agreement (meaning you can license it with other companies if you want). This could be a good way for you to monetize more of your music, though I wouldn't expect big bucks from this kind of licensing, more like supplemental income.

Some companies to check out if you're interested
www.indabasync.com (full disclosure, I work here)
https://www.musicbed.com
http://www.soundtaxi.net/
Beyond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »

Why not create a thread on Tigsource for this

- You're a short one, but there's a strong look to you
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic