Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:31:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeDesigning games with someone else
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Designing games with someone else  (Read 1271 times)
fab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:56:17 AM »

Do you have trouble designing and making games with other people?

I always feel like I want full control. Maybe I'm just trying to work with people who I just don't gel with.

I'd love to be able to find someone that I could share my ideas with and build upon them.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:17:08 AM »

Like any creative work, authorship is very important. Even in a big team it's important to have someone serve as the head.

This is something that always bothers me about games! people go out of their way to take their names off the game and put a dumb company name there. Even when it's one person, you'll see "teethless dog games" instead of someone's name. I mean, did you go to the movies to watch Warned Brothers Batman? No, you watched Christopher Nolan's Batman, right? Not only from a creation perspective it's good to have a head, but for the custommer it's also better. It gives people someone to praise and follow if they like the work or dismiss and avoid if they don't. I know that I like Nolan's movies, so I can watch them even if he directs for other film maker, but I can't trust the next Batman game will be as good as the previous one, even if they are all made by Rocksteady, because I have no idea if the people behind that name are the same.

Heh. Sorry, this topic always gets me talking.

My suggestion to you is something I always wanted to do myself. Get in a partnership and cycle between projects and authorship. For example, pitch each other projects and the most feasible and that pleases the other more gets done first. The author of the idea gets to have final word on design choices. Since everyone wants their own games made too, it also ensures no overly complicated project gets approved by the other party as a bonus. The sooner you're done, the sooner the team can jump to the next project.

KrilltheKill
Level 0

Shiz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 07:17:08 AM »

When developing any kind of creative work with someone, it is good to do it with someone like-minded, since someone with a hugely different mindset can be quite difficult to work with.
I thing digzumillo's suggestion is actually pretty good, and for one would do the same if needed.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic