Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:18:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAmazeface - Maze puzzle game
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Amazeface - Maze puzzle game  (Read 8742 times)
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 04:52:36 AM »

This is great!!!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 08:11:52 AM »

I just gave your demo a **super quick** try, and it works wonderfully! Do not judge my level design here. I can see this being a hit with children! Awesome work!

gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 11:15:22 AM »

Nice animation and smooth movements, well done! I like also editor, simply but powerful!

Blog | Last game Number+
jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 02:20:37 PM »

Haha, these level designs are adding a whole new level of fun for me.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:45 PM »

I just gave your demo a **super quick** try, and it works wonderfully!

Thank you so much! It makes my so happy to see that you actually downloaded and tried it  Smiley. Thanks gornova and jordanchin! I'll keep you posted with more stuff.

Regarding the world map I'm leaning towards something that sort of works and looks like the levels but like a sidescroller. You still just move straight though. Kind of the reverse of Mario, where the map is seen from above and the levels are side scrolling.. I'll make some kind of sketch of this and post when it's done.

Twitter: @pbergmar
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »

PetterBergmar,

You're welcome. My test did it no justice what-so-ever too. I wish I was making this game, I like it that much! I would love to make my own levels for it (for real)! I think you have a hit on your hands!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 05:28:16 AM »

PetterBergmar,

You're welcome. My test did it no justice what-so-ever too. I wish I was making this game, I like it that much! I would love to make my own levels for it (for real)! I think you have a hit on your hands!

That's a huge compliment, thank you!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 05:31:22 AM »

I decided to ditch the sidescroller idea and started making a very typical gamey island map. I like how it matches the naive / childish theme of the levels. This is a work in progress:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:05:04 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 08:17:49 AM »

Looks good!

So are those checkpoints I see?

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 08:19:53 AM »

Thanks! It's entrances to the different levels. I will probably change how they look, fot now its the goal plate. You will be able to see what levels are cleared and in how many moves. Clearing a certain number of levels will open up the bridge etc.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »

It's entrances to the different levels.

OH, I see! This is the world map. It works perfect! I love how this is coming together.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 03:48:44 PM »

Update on the world map: (the background will be light blue like the previous picture, not black)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:05:16 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 10:17:07 PM »

These graphics are crazy. It's stretch-n-squash style mixed with, basically, ASCII graphics turned into 3D voxels? Delicious clash of styles, I love it!
gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 10:40:34 PM »

very nice world map, I'm waiting for the "campaign mode", how about difficulty settings ? More campaigns or just a set of levels with increasing difficulty ?

Blog | Last game Number+
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2016, 02:29:27 AM »

These graphics are crazy. It's stretch-n-squash style mixed with, basically, ASCII graphics turned into 3D voxels? Delicious clash of styles, I love it!

Haha yes I agree the style is very strange. In the beginning the levels were just going to be rooms but then I started to make the rooms look like things. And that was just so much fun! I also try to recreate that feeling of say a Lemmings level that kind of resembles something but with the level tileset.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2016, 02:38:43 AM »

very nice world map, I'm waiting for the "campaign mode", how about difficulty settings ? More campaigns or just a set of levels with increasing difficulty ?

Thanks! There will be no difficulty settings but you can skip some levels and still move forward once you have enough cleared levels. Within an island you can move freely (except there  is a block in the road in the first one). Soo if some level is too hard, leave it for later. If too easy, you will probably clear it very quickly anyway, and hopefully still have some fun.

My hope is that people also start to create and share levels, the .amaze level files are just a few KB so they can be easily shared. I'm also planning a christmas expansion with a small, hard add on campaign. But first things first.  Grin

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2016, 02:49:08 AM »

Pricing / release

The level editor, along with some samples, will continue to be free. The actual game will have a quite low pricetag. Initially I will release for Windows, Mac and Linux, then after some more work for mobile (I think it will only work on big screens, and no level editor for mobile). I have no experience of putting things on console, but I would of course love for this to be on consoles too.

Finally  If anyone has a suggestion on what you would be willing to pay for this, please write below! The final game will have 64-100 levels, I'm starting to feel that maybe 64 very good levels is better than my initial 100 where some are just ok.

Thank you for reading, back to work on the map and more levels.

Edit: Oh and one more thing. A demo with work in progress campaign with say 30 levels will be released here for free. I might pull thst once the game is released though. I'm not making any promises but I want to release the game August 31.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:03:47 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2016, 04:19:35 AM »

as player, with a free game with 30 levels.. you have to get right motivation for my to pay more levels, I mean, what kind of mechanics will be on paid version ?

Blog | Last game Number+
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2016, 04:30:24 AM »

You could try like a single demo-level per level pack, so people could get an impression?
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2016, 04:31:21 AM »

as player, with a free game with 30 levels.. you have to get right motivation for my to pay more levels, I mean, what kind of mechanics will be on paid version ?

Sorry, I was a bit unclear. At launch, only the level editor will be free. But my most devoted devlig followers will probably get the game for free anyway and before it's done a wip version. The final game will have the world map and a lot of levels exploring the different mechanics. Once a level is cleared, you will see this on the world map and also in how many moves you cleared it. This adds some replay value since you can try to beat it in fewer moves. Once the last level is cleared you will get some sort of silly ending & credits.

So if all you get for free is the level editor with a few example levels, what would you be willing to pay for the actual game/ campaign?

It's tempting to add things like online high score and level sharing but for 1.0, I must limit the scope since I'm just one guy making this. These things might be added later, or not. Edit: You will be able to share the level files on your own but no in game sharing function on release.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:36:49 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic