Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:55:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAmazeface - Maze puzzle game
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Amazeface - Maze puzzle game  (Read 8752 times)
ambo100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »

I very very rarely buy games on my phone, I usually only play free to play games that run on small, un-intrusive banner adverts.

I would consider paying for this game on mobile if it had a reasonable price for the amount of content available.
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »

ambo100, I am the same as you. And I would get this game too. I would also buy it on consoles -- not saying it would sell well on consoles as they are their own unique beasts.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
eblomquist
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »

Very charming - great job on creating such an appealing looking game!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:04 AM »

Very charming - great job on creating such an appealing looking game!

Thank you! Glad you like my weird style. Toast Left Song of seven looks very cool!

Twitter: @pbergmar
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

The world map, nearly done. I think I might add some spacing to make the map wider. But to do that I need to add selections and move to the level editor. So that will be my next task, and after that the world map logic. Then comes the fun of figuring out what levels go where and what kind of new levels need to me created.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:05:41 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »

This is how the world map will work: When the player is on the entrance of a level, a text with its title will show. Once you have completed a level, its entrance will turn green and you will be able to see how many moves you needed to beat it. You can play again to try to beat it in fewer moves. There will also be a star rating for cleared levels: One star for clearing the level, but using many moves. Two stars if you clear a level with quite few moves. Three stars will be given if you complete the level in as few moves as I was able to beat it (or less)

The bridges and some other obstacles like the lava or castle bridge will be closed until a certain amount of levels are cleared (Think Mario 64). Within a section of an island you can skip levels if you want to. You will be able to beat the game without clearing all the levels, but you will get some kind of easter egg if you get to the balloon after all levels are clear. You will also get something fun if you manage to get three stars on all levels.

You will be able to exit a level at any time to return to the world map.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2016, 02:38:07 AM »

Updated plate designs.

So, those plates have been hurting my eyes a little bit for a while now so I wanted to create something a bit more uniform that would also better match the style of the walls and character. This is what I've ended up with, I will do some more tweaks and then continue with the world map.

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2016, 05:45:20 AM »

Were you a UI/UX designer at one point? Your work is great.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »

Thanks Xonatron, no but I have done a lot of graphic design and spent an insane amount of hours in Photoshop. These plates were 3D before, but I wanted something a bit more flat (both for design and performance) so I remade them in Photoshop.

A little update on what I've been working on:

• Basic rectangle selection in level editor. This means we can now move things around after we draw them. Yay!
  • You can now change the main background color by pressing B. This is also saved in the level file.
  • Redesigned plates and updated them in the editor and game.
  • Tweaked some colors.
  • Fixed banding issues in background by adding a slight noise to each BG color.
  • I want players to be able to create their own world maps. Started work on this.
  • Experimented with using the mechanics to sort of invent new combination mechanics. Another post about this coming up

I have not made a new build for download yet, I will do that soon and update main post.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 03:56:56 PM by PetterBergmar » Logged

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 01:04:00 PM »

Soo.. I have had a little summer holiday. But I have been doing some work on the game at night.. The world map and actual game engine is now done, you can load/save games, it keeps track of your progress and gives you a star rating for each completed level based on number of moves. I have also done some more work on the world map, see below. I will try to write another post soon about some thoughts on how to use the mechanics when designing levels.

Oh and I added doors with bouncers. So you can open or close the bouncers sort of..

I will upload a new demo later, I want to do some more stuff first..

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:05:52 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 02:34:49 PM »

I'm aiming towards 8 worlds with 8 levels in each + about 16 additional "sidequest" levels. Om other words a total of 80 levels. If you're a real completionist you might try to get three stars for each level, which will be very hard for the most challenging levels. This is how the stars are rewarded: (There will be no instruction for this, the players will have to figure it out on their own)

⋆⋆⋆ Three stars are given if you use as few moves as my own record (or less)
⋆⋆ Two stars are given if your number of moves is 130% of my record or less.
⋆ One star is given just for completing the level.

By the way, the yellow number to the left of the stars indicate the number of moves. This is also shown in the upper right corner of the levels and updated as you play. Should I use an icon for this? What would be a good icon for "moves"?

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 12:45:52 AM »

I wanna update the main post and write some about how I make the levels, but I guess it's good that instead I've been focusing on designing levels. It's very hard to make the levels look somewhat nice and also be fun to play.

Here are the levels of first four worlds, each world will have 8 levels. There will be a total of 80 levels in the final game and right now 40 of them are done. So, halfway there! The style, as you can see, is very random and childish but I sort of like that...

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 01:06:05 AM »

I'd like to say, a simple mechanic has me sold, but the overall charm of it is what really makes this shine.
The personality of such a simple character and the feelgood vibe is just fantastic.

Goob job.

This would be a nice fit for an handheld, I'm sure.

Yeah.
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 02:02:49 AM »

I'd like to say, a simple mechanic has me sold, but the overall charm of it is what really makes this shine.
The personality of such a simple character and the feelgood vibe is just fantastic.

Goob job.

This would be a nice fit for an handheld, I'm sure.

This warms my heart! The only problem on small handhelds is that some levels are hard to scale down... I might add a zoom feature for mobile. Anyway I'll finish the pc version and then make the mobile one. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 01:29:31 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2016, 01:23:12 AM »

The 8 levels of the 5th world are done. 48/80 levels done total. In this desert world the "pushers" mechanic is introduced. Pushers will move the player along with all crates on the level in the indicated direction. It was nice to shake it up with a new mechanic at this half point of the game.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »

None shall pass!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2016, 02:12:42 AM »

Hello! My day job have been taking up a lot of my time so I had to pause development for a while. The good news are that I'm back on it. Hopefully I will also have time to be a bit more active on tigsource. For now, here is the basic design for the level "Nothing Compears 2 U". (Sorry Smiley)

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 06:49:33 AM »

New version of the game (including level editor) can now be downloaded. Updated main post.

Here is the most current version. This one has 51 of 80 levels, and will only be available here for a limited time. Please try it if you like!

Instructions: Move with arrow keys, start level with Enter, restart level with R key, go back to map with ESC. The level editor you will have to figure out yourselves for now, will add instructions later.

http://www.bergmar.com/amazeface/builds/Amazeface_0.91_Windows.zip
http://www.bergmar.com/amazeface/builds/Amazeface_0.911_Mac.zip (Right click and choose open to start mac version.)

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:15:00 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

ambo100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2016, 09:30:03 AM »

Looking great so far! I was surprised there was no support for WASD control. It's very easy to implement with the Input Manager and I find it much easier to use.

Resetting the level doesn't reset the move counter. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour as exiting the level and starting again will reset the counter.

The 'Arrow Blocks' (I'm not sure what they're called, the ones that let you pass through) are a bit hard to identify. Why not use contrasting/opposing colours for the arrows?

When I saw Level 1-6 Mazey's Island it reminded me of a Pop Tart so I re-made it in the editor and I think it looks a bit more colourful and interesting. (I'm not sure if you have a Pop Tart level already but you are feel free to use this in your game, it should be exactly the same, just re-themed)

1-6 Mazey's Island (Left) - Pop Tart Level (Right)

Level Code

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2016, 12:59:17 PM »

Looking great so far! I was surprised there was no support for WASD control. It's very easy to implement with the Input Manager and I find it much easier to use.

Resetting the level doesn't reset the move counter. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour as exiting the level and starting again will reset the counter.

The 'Arrow Blocks' (I'm not sure what they're called, the ones that let you pass through) are a bit hard to identify. Why not use contrasting/opposing colours for the arrows?

When I saw Level 1-6 Mazey's Island it reminded me of a Pop Tart so I re-made it in the editor and I think it looks a bit more colourful and interesting. (I'm not sure if you have a Pop Tart level already but you are feel free to use this in your game, it should be exactly the same, just re-themed)

I'm glad you played it! Yes, the counter should reset thanks for pointing that out. And I agree on the one way arrows.. will make them pop more somehow. I will add wasd in the next version for sure. Thought it was already in! Hey that pop tart looks very nice! Maybe I could just call it pop tart island? Will consider it for sure, thanks!! Pro tip: You can change background color of your level by pressing B. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:05:59 PM by PetterBergmar » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic