Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:23:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCRTTR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: CRTTR  (Read 14540 times)
wuuthrer
Level 0

I draw stuff, I make games, I like it dirty

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2016, 02:14:25 AM »

I really like the vibe of your game, the oddness that comes out of it is very interesting and special.

But to give you some input about this background question, I really think you should feel free to go a little bit wild and experiment things. I mean, the tone of your graphics are obviously weird and I believe players attracted to those kind of games are ready to embrace your creativity.

So, if I could give you one advice: don't stay too focussed on trying to keep everything flat, or whatever you call it. To me, the graphic coherence of your game is more about being "weird". So far, it even seems like the strong point of your game. So go for it!

- Don't Kill Her -
  No choice is given, but the rest belongs to us.
Oats
Level 1

High starch content.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 06:15:42 AM »

this game looks really interesting, following, you said you wanted it to be a social experiment, would you care to elaborate or would that ruin the result?

eh
snaps
Level 0

:^ )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »

this game looks really interesting, following, you said you wanted it to be a social experiment, would you care to elaborate or would that ruin the result?

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  Originally I started work on this game because I wanted to make a "people-watching" experiment but as I became more attached to what I had made I re-evaluated multiplayer.  I made A post about it on the last page detailing the reasons I felt that it would be better for the game and my continued interest to focus on single-player.

what about like a dino skull

Yeah I agree.  I need to have objects in the background or else it feel too empty.

Perhaps you could do a subtle glow effect?

Not sure how to easily do that but I think a radial gradient would work similarly.

I really like the vibe of your game, the oddness that comes out of it is very interesting and special.

But to give you some input about this background question, I really think you should feel free to go a little bit wild and experiment things. I mean, the tone of your graphics are obviously weird and I believe players attracted to those kind of games are ready to embrace your creativity.

So, if I could give you one advice: don't stay too focused on trying to keep everything flat, or whatever you call it. To me, the graphic coherence of your game is more about being "weird". So far, it even seems like the strong point of your game. So go for it!

Thank u.  I think u are right.  For a moment I got very preoccupied with a non-existent flatness dichotomy.  I think I've come up with something I'm pretty satisfied with.  Especially because this area is going to be the start of the game and I felt it would make sense to make it somewhat embryonic.

here is a gif and

here is a still.

wut do u think?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »

this is mine. i want it. give it. give me this

it feels like if looming got fucked up in the hospital on morphine

wuuthrer
Level 0

I draw stuff, I make games, I like it dirty

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »

Yeah!

That's the spirit, thumbs up!

- Don't Kill Her -
  No choice is given, but the rest belongs to us.
snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »

This is probably the best complement I've evr got.

I love the aesthetic... Looking forward for more updates!!!!

!!!

Yeah!

That's the spirit, thumbs up!

Hand Thumbs Up Right

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transition Update!

I have worked on a system to transition between scenes.

Here is a rly big gif (im sorry) and

here is a still of the new scene.

What could be in the next zome?

Thirteen
Level 0

@i_am_thirteen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »

The second one looks the best to me, it blends naturally.

skrjablin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 12:05:22 AM »

Everything in this devlog looks like something I would want to play. That root thread yarn or what it is in the last picture looks fantastic.

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2016, 04:03:45 PM »

I mean, the tone of your graphics are obviously weird and I believe players attracted to those kind of games are ready to embrace your creativity.

My words exactly. You should go wild. My body is ready.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2016, 12:17:05 AM »

Absolutely following and adoring this game. The soundtracks really impressed me, all those beeps and bloops really help set the atmosphere.

Oh no you posted Looming and now I have to replay it
It's so beautiful ;_;

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2016, 05:14:50 PM »

Digging the transition, love it. (and big gifs don't bother me, idk about other people)

yes but the filesize is vry big.  btw in general does anyone know of a better way to make gifs that what i've been doing?  I've been using ScreenToGif2.exe and im afraid it is giving me viruses.

The second one looks the best to me, it blends naturally.

??? Did you not see the second page or do you not like it?

Everything in this devlog looks like something I would want to play. That root thread yarn or what it is in the last picture looks fantastic.

Thank u

I mean, the tone of your graphics are obviously weird and I believe players attracted to those kind of games are ready to embrace your creativity.

My words exactly. You should go wild. My body is ready.

Cool thank u.  I like your game w the cute ghost, Aftertile.

Absolutely following and adoring this game. The soundtracks really impressed me, all those beeps and bloops really help set the atmosphere.

Thank u.  I assume you mean sound design?  There isn't currently any music.  I might make some ambient music later on but I am not very skilled at music theory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jump & Zomedate!

Hello I am very disappointed in everyone.  You failed to guess what the next area was going to have.

What could be in the next zome?

Of course its this!!!!

a zome.

Here is a gif of it and also of a new thing, jump.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:52:27 PM by snaps » Logged

HollowHollowHollow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 05:36:57 PM »

I guessed it. In my head.
darthlupi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2016, 07:02:24 PM »

I love that little guy.  I think he should have something to eat though.
Maybe some little bird seeds or something.

That jump is perfectly over the top unexpected too!

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »

I guessed it. In my head.
Hand Clap

I love that little guy.  I think he should have something to eat though.
Maybe some little bird seeds or something.

That jump is perfectly over the top unexpected too!
Yes, soon I need to stop procrastinating and make a bit more player related "gameplay".  The problem is I do not think of CRTTR as game as much as a box of virtual toys and I am very distractable.

Sand & B~Voiddate!

That zome is full of sand and b~voids.

here is a gif and

here is a video.

chirp~* chirp~*

darthlupi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »

Yes, soon I need to stop procrastinating and make a bit more player related "gameplay".  The problem is I do not think of CRTTR as game as much as a box of virtual toys and I am very distractable.

No rush on gameplay!  I think this is really something as a toy.  It seems like you are having fun with it and creating some fantastic environments for the CRTTR to hang out in.

I can't wait to get a hold of something I can let my daughter play.  She is 4 and she draws these sorts of beasties going on adventures great and just for fun.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:59:24 AM by darthlupi » Logged

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 11:46:16 PM »

I agree, no need to add a complex gameplay! Have you ever played games like LSD and Yume Nikki? They're a bit like yours - giant sandboxes with lots of interesting envroniments to play with. As long as the world is interesting, there is no need to add "gamey" elements.
An handful of collectibles should be enough to ensure a vague sense of progression. Or maybe you can add secret zones reachable only by using an item, like a glider needed to pass a chasm  Smiley

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 11:10:49 AM »

No rush on gameplay!  I think this is really something as a toy.  It seems like you are having fun with it and creating some fantastic environments for the CRTTR to hang out in.

I can't wait to get a hold of something I can let my daughter play.  She is 4 and she draws these sorts of beasties going on adventures great and just for fun.

That is so nice to hear! It made me realize that thus far I have't thought about age demographics at all when making this.  Thus far I haven't made anything that would not be appropriate for all ages and I would like to keep it that way!  On the other hand I'm not sure if she will be able to play it until she is a year or two older because I am not sure how long this game will take me to finish.  I still have one year of college left before I will need to get a job during which I can get a lot done on this.  I am very perfectionistic and almost everything I have shown has gone through several iterations prior to even showing it and I'm sure my iterating will not stop there.  Also there is the reality that I am the only person making this game.  I have made all of the art, code and sound thus far and it would be very nice to get some help.  Possibly someone else at my college could join the project during the next semester?

I agree, no need to add a complex gameplay! Have you ever played games like LSD and Yume Nikki? They're a bit like yours - giant sandboxes with lots of interesting envroniments to play with. As long as the world is interesting, there is no need to add "gamey" elements.
An handful of collectibles should be enough to ensure a vague sense of progression. Or maybe you can add secret zones reachable only by using an item, like a glider needed to pass a chasm  Smiley

Yeah, speaking of which yesterday for the first time I tried playing my game with a controller.  I found that it was even more natural than keyboard and mouse however this brings up a dilemma.  I still haven't implemented the inventory code beyond the visual interface but the E~BAG however I already think its interface looks more like something that could only be operated with a mouse.  Originally I was planing on having e~tems be drag-able into your inventory from in the game world but I'm starting to think I might want to automate the inventory and have e~tems show a prompt when the player is within range and then allow pickup using a button.  They would be automatically put in the first available slot and when a place where an e~tem can be used is found the player would be prompted again.

What do people think of that?  Also I am currently planning that some e~tems will be E~GGs.  E~GGs will be placeable in rooms of a certain area and spawn some of the creatures that you got the E~GG from if the room is the correct habitat.  This will slowly create a central area where the player can quickly access a lot of the games content that they have already experienced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a image I only posted on twitter and forgot to add to my last post.  It a picture of b~voids.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »

I like it
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2016, 11:35:27 AM »

That wonky wobble jump is charming!

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »

I like it

( ᐛ )و◁~(THANK U)

That wonky wobble jump is charming!

Yeah You don't jump in the global up but rather in your head's up to prevent climbing walls.  This results in a wobblier more physical but still controllable jump.

Glubdate!

New area preview!  glubstone swamp is full of rocks that have trouble breathing.

Here is a gif and

Here is a short video.

Also...

Team Update!

rj™ has joined the dev team so now its a team and not just me so i can call this a team update.  He will be doing music once I've added a bit more content and I think he will be a great fit for the project considering his past work.  We will be experimenting with procedural ways of doing that but already have some ideas!

finally I leave you with a preview of another area called the circle of death.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic