Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:24:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCRTTR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: CRTTR  (Read 14542 times)
nialltl
Level 0

pode racer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2016, 05:42:21 PM »

i can really get into the look of this new zome

octopus racing -- Muddledash  |  first person skating -- flow state  |  twitter
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2016, 09:15:47 PM »

glubstone's givin' me some gumby vibes.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2016, 07:21:41 AM »

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2016, 07:34:25 AM »

That flocking is mesmerising...

snaps
Level 0

:^ )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »

i can really get into the look of this new zome

Thank u but that isn't a zome because it doesn't have a zome in it.

glubstone's givin' me some gumby vibes.

Yeah rj I was very inspired by claymation when making them.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

That flocking is mesmerising...

Hey clicked ur twitter & noticed ur doing dare.  Say hello to team grassdancer @ protoplay 4 me.  They are my friends from college.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Deluxe Gold Milkdate!

New area preview of gold milk deluxe chasm 3-0.

Here is a picture and

here is a short video.

TWITTER_VIDEO

pls retweet me so i can spam more people on twitter with pictures of crttrs running around in different slime.

EDIT:

I have a question I forgot to ask.  What do you people think the importance of supporting macosx is?  I want to use compute shaders but have actually so far resisted.  If I use them the game won't work on mac for sure but I could have similar numbers of b~voids or other particle effects to games like ABZÛ.  More generally what kind of hardware do you think I should target because I realize my desktop is fairly high spec?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:13:47 PM by snaps » Logged

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2016, 01:47:44 PM »

I have a question I forgot to ask.  What do you people think the importance of supporting macosx is?  I want to use compute shaders but have actually so far resisted.  If I use them the game won't work on mac for sure but I could have similar numbers of b~voids or other particle effects to games like ABZÛ.  More generally what kind of hardware do you think I should target because I realize my desktop is fairly high spec?

I couldn't resist anymore...

Smoothie Update:

I made a smoothie with gpu sph.

There are still some things to implement like fluid elasticity, spatial hashing, supporting some sphere colliders, more emitter types, and better rendering but surface tension, pressure and viscosity are functional.

I plan to use this for many things but the first task will be improving the rendering!  I will probably have and update soon once I've finished some type of screen space fluid rendering.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2016, 02:28:57 PM »

What do you people think the importance of supporting macosx is?
More generally what kind of hardware do you think I should target because I realize my desktop is fairly high spec?
Uhm.
I think your game would mostly appeal fans of surreal/strange games like Yume Nikki, LSD, Gingiva...
Now, this genre isn't really rapresented outside the indie market, so people know getting strange games means shuffling through obscure indie titles. And this means having a Windows - or knowing how to emulate it. Therefore, I think you should focus on Windows, because most of your target audience already uses this OS.

I also think you should keep the min specs as low as possible, for the same reasoning: the most famous "strange" games are made with the likes of rpgmaker and game maker, and usually have very low specs. The kind of people that likes this type of games doesn't usually upgrade their pc to play the lastest Assassin's Creed.

(Obviously, you are the one that really knows your target market! I'm just assuming things. Also, nice smoothie.)

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2016, 03:01:14 PM »

just wanna pop in and say how technically and aesthetically impressive this thing is looking

how long have you been doing games/graphics programming for? it seems like you really know your stuff
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »

i agree that you should def mainly target windows because you should focus on making the best version of crttr possible but just a reminder that your composer's computer is a mac.

(not that it matters bc i use parallels and it's never had compatability issues)

if it's possible make the shaders toggleable? but if not barrel ahead, honestly

tbh i think crttr is a game i would ideally want to play on a console but i also know that is not a realistic goal at this moment

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »

What do you people think the importance of supporting macosx is?
More generally what kind of hardware do you think I should target because I realize my desktop is fairly high spec?
Uhm.
I think your game would mostly appeal fans of surreal/strange games like Yume Nikki, LSD, Gingiva...
Now, this genre isn't really rapresented outside the indie market, so people know getting strange games means shuffling through obscure indie titles. And this means having a Windows - or knowing how to emulate it. Therefore, I think you should focus on Windows, because most of your target audience already uses this OS.

I also think you should keep the min specs as low as possible, for the same reasoning: the most famous "strange" games are made with the likes of rpgmaker and game maker, and usually have very low specs. The kind of people that likes this type of games doesn't usually upgrade their pc to play the lastest Assassin's Creed.

(Obviously, you are the one that really knows your target market! I'm just assuming things. Also, nice smoothie.)

Yeah I agree for the most part however I'm not sure right now how well crttr would run on a lower spec pc.  I will seek out people with worse computers once the next semester of my college resumes for testing.  This will be vital because I'm sure I can optimize some stuff a bit more but I'm not willing to make significant visual compromises.

just wanna pop in and say how technically and aesthetically impressive this thing is looking

how long have you been doing games/graphics programming for? it seems like you really know your stuff

Thank u.  I wrote my first shader in my senior year of high school which was my first graphics card programming but I've been doing graphical programming since I taught myself flash & actionscript in 6th grade.  I guess that means about 10 years even tho im only 21?

i agree that you should def mainly target windows because you should focus on making the best version of crttr possible but just a reminder that your composer's computer is a mac.

(not that it matters bc i use parallels and it's never had compatability issues)

if it's possible make the shaders toggleable? but if not barrel ahead, honestly

tbh i think crttr is a game i would ideally want to play on a console but i also know that is not a realistic goal at this moment

Yeah rj I talked w some friends about this and kinda got the impression that at this point pretty much every gamer w a mac runs parallels.  Currently the main problem with macosx is it doesn't support the newest version of opengl but my understanding is that apple's alternative, metal, is being rolled out and unity is still in the process of adding metal support.  So that means that this actually may become a non-issue in the future.  I agree about consoles that could b really cool because controller is, in my opinion, the best way to play crttr currently.  The main technical obstacle for that is that CRTTR is currently opengl only and most consoles are direct3D only as far as I can tell.  The reason I haven't been using direct3D is unity uses opengl coordinates but direct3D flips them and was causing a lot of problems.  Tbh I think unity's built in stuff to work around that for textures is kinda broken.  Hopefully these issues with the engine will be fixed soon.

May I ask what you're using to develop this?

Its unity but this specific effect is mostly a compute shader written in the cg language.

Of course I can't make a post with out more pictures and content but I'm not feeling so good after programming this for 3 days without sto- ah CHOO!

well that should be enough for now.  Screen space fluid rendering in the next post!

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »

Hey small update on screen space fluid rendering which turned out to be much harder to implement that anticipated.
Here are some gifs.

Also I posted on my twitter a render of an area I was wrking on. Here it is with a swing added.

1080P_IMG

You can see how it looks in game here:

ITCHY_WEBSITE

speaking of which I plan on taking a short 1-2 week break from focused crttr dev since I am about to start my next semester of college and I want to make some small little experiments in processing, cinder, and sfml to put up on itch. I'll b sure to post those on TWITTER.

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2016, 05:39:08 PM »

The fluid rendering is super cool! I'd love to hold the slime in that second gif. crttr's looking really good but I'm looking forward to whatever else you play around with during your break from it.

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2016, 05:53:30 PM »

The fluid rendering is super cool! I'd love to hold the slime in that second gif. crttr's looking really good but I'm looking forward to whatever else you play around with during your break from it.
Thanks Tom!  I missed your recent Wobbledog stream but watched it on youtube.  Good stuff!  Also I remember you mentioning wanting water in Wobbledogs at some point.  If you want to do some gpu ripple effects on the surface like recent Bethesda games feel free 2 hit me up 4 advice because one of the main challenges is writing a sphere intersection around the world-space position of an object into a texture, something which I overcame a bit ago with the reaction diffusion surfaces in CRRTR!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:04:10 PM by snaps » Logged

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2016, 05:57:31 PM »

snaps you madfuck genius

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2016, 06:10:19 PM »

snaps you madfuck genius

Thanks rj! ( > ﹏ ⊙ )ノ Hand Thumbs Up Right

Also shiiiit we rly gotta skype again about music & stuff soon lol.  Maybe next weekend cause I'm busy this weekend w getting ready school, team meetings & going 2 a concert?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2016, 06:13:36 PM »

ye

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2016, 06:26:15 PM »

Thanks Tom!  I missed your recent Wobbledog stream but watched it on youtube.  Good stuff!  Also I remember you mentioning wanting water in Wobbledogs at some point.  If you want to do some gpu ripple effects on the surface like recent Bethesda games feel free 2 hit me up 4 advice because one of the main challenges is writing a sphere intersection around the world-space position of an object into a texture, something which I overcame a bit ago with the reaction diffusion surfaces in CRRTR!

Thanks! And I'll definitely let you know if that's something I end up trying to get in. Shaders are something I have super super limited experience with so I'm sure the help would be appreciated.

snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »

ye
sik I'll dm u later in the week.

Thanks Tom!  I missed your recent Wobbledog stream but watched it on youtube.  Good stuff!  Also I remember you mentioning wanting water in Wobbledogs at some point.  If you want to do some gpu ripple effects on the surface like recent Bethesda games feel free 2 hit me up 4 advice because one of the main challenges is writing a sphere intersection around the world-space position of an object into a texture, something which I overcame a bit ago with the reaction diffusion surfaces in CRRTR!

Thanks! And I'll definitely let you know if that's something I end up trying to get in. Shaders are something I have super super limited experience with so I'm sure the help would be appreciated.
Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

Here's a short vid in the meantime of early ai testing.

TIMID_SLIME

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »

this game is a technovisual marvel
snaps
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »

Ok I'm back 2 wrking on crttr.
If you want u can check out what I made in the interim on my itch.io.

LUDUM_DARE_36_GAME

STRANGE_FREE_VST_SYNTH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'M BACK UPDATE!

So far I've worked some on cleaning up area transitions because I would like to make a stable demo "vertical slice" of the game tht I can have friends playtest & give to rj.  I also made a small improvement to the exclamations of timid slimes by adding physics & scaling to them.

Here is a gif.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic