Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:27:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesiOS recommendations
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25
Print
Author Topic: iOS recommendations  (Read 81238 times)
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2010, 02:30:26 PM »

Hm, this thread is still around.

Now that I've had a year and a half with the platform, here are my recommendations:

I would also recommend:

- PicoPicoQuest (this is a fantastic Dragon Warrior clone, but it is iPad only)
- iJumpman ( see my sig Smiley )

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2010, 02:33:24 PM »

Squareball!

@doomlaser, mark johns
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »

Squareball!
Squareball is amazing.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 03:26:24 PM »

Why would you want to play the other Nethack port rather than the far superior iNethack though?
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »

Why would you want to play the other Nethack port rather than the far superior iNethack though?
Hm. How are they different? I actually didn't realize there was more than one Nethack.

The thing I like about the Gandreas Rogue/Nethack ports is that they have text mode, and you can see the entire map at once. I think NetHack was really designed for you to see that whole map simultaneously and it just feels wrong and I get disoriented when I'm looking at a zoomed out part of the map. Plus I've yet to see a graphical version with a tileset attractive enough it felt like it was an improvement over the ASCII. The Gandreas versions also have an extremely satisfying gesture system.

However the Gandreas versions are buggy and the Nethack version has a few nearly gamebreaking limitations (for example, it is literally impossible to dig down, and the game mysteriously locks up for 5-30 seconds every time you want to cast a spell).

Something I'm still trying to work out is whether the NetHack license is such that these iPhone port developers are obligated to release their code...

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »

What I disliked very much about the Nethack ports was that you couldn't hold your finger on the screen to move, but rather had to tap for every single step. Tap a little too quickly and it would get registered as a doubletap, making you automatically run several steps. Have they improved that by now?

By the way, there is also a port of [http://www.zincland.com/powder/]POWDER[/url] by now, but it's a bit meh. Rather badly scaled graphics, no specific touch controls but just a virtual d-pad + buttons, though otherwise it works pretty flawlessly as far as I know. It's not completely free, as you have to unlock the levels past 15 via in-app purchase (which isn't mentioned anywhere in the description, tsk), though if you don't play it very much you probably won't get that far, anyway.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2010, 02:37:14 AM »

The thing I like about the Gandreas Rogue/Nethack ports is that they have text mode, and you can see the entire map at once.
iNethack has that too (a number of tilesets plus ASCII mode in fact) and you can zoom as far in or out as you want on the fly. Has a better interface too, a "hotbar" with the most important commands, a virtual keyboard option and context sensitive actions depending what object you're touching.
Taiko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2010, 09:01:56 AM »

It looks like the OP's plane left over a year ago, but I'll throw in a few iPhone games I particularly enjoy:

• Katamari Damacy
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Galcon
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

ENDI Tank Battle.

3D vehicular car combat game. Kinda like Micro Machine meets Twisted Metal.

Free game made by students. I was designer and level designer on the whole thing. Hand Any Key Who, Me?Hand Joystick
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 02:49:55 PM »

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut is currently free. If you don't dislike great point & click adventure games, you should really give that a try! It's also available in German, French and Spanish (among others?) with full voice-over Smiley

Ahh, memories..
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:01:35 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Taiko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 01:57:38 PM »

Others I've enjoyed:

• Canabalt - amazing atmosphere and fun for a game with just one button
  • Kometen - weird game, but relaxing, from the guy who made Blueberry Garden
  • Osmos - just got this, I've enjoyed it so far
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:16:30 PM by reinebold » Logged
SoulShading
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »

I'll promote my own game since the mainstream press isn't interested in promoting it since there's no birds inside.
Here it is, you can try The Line. If you can finish it during your flight, i eat my short ;-)
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2011, 06:21:40 AM »

Brickadelic (iPad) is really lovely. It's just a trippy brick breaking game, but with a lot of interesting and creative stuff in it, and utterly beautiful psychedelic graphics (and a bit of a 90s shareware vibe). It's become my favourite iPad game over the last couple weeks.

Oh and the forthcoming Minotaur Rescue by Llamasoft. Should be out any day now. I played a test version, it's ace. [edit: it's out!]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:26:05 PM by nyarla » Logged
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »

I got an ipod for christmas, and so far my favourite games have been:

Plants vs zombies
Canabalt (don't like it as much as the pc version, but awesome anyway)
Robocalypse seems fun so far
iCopter (most simple game ever, but a friend and me are competing over high scores and it's made it my favourite of them all!)

Will definitely try some of the ones mentioned in this thread.
baeis22
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2011, 03:44:56 PM »

gta recommend. the best game in the world

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »

Hotdog recommend. The best hotdog in the world.
Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2011, 07:24:50 PM »

Hook Worlds. Only .99, unlike the other hook games, and is just as good. Infinitely generated levels, but with GRAPPLING HOOKS. Three modes (soon to be four!) in which you play as very, very different characters with varied play-styles. Add a bunch of unlockables to top it off. By far my favorite iOS game.

According to the developer(s?), it's not selling well (probably because it was released around the same time EA/GameLoft were doing their crazy Christmas sales), so it needs more exposure!
Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2011, 03:02:04 AM »

Yeah hook worlds is pretty fun, although i totally suck at it so far.

I was really looking forward to be able to play games like this on the bus to work, but i've found it's way too bumpy to actually be able to play anything remotely fast (like hook worlds) which is a bugger.
Kate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2011, 03:12:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure someone already suggested Broken Sword, which I totally agree with - it's a joy. Point and click works great on the iPhone and lends itself better to extended play. Also Monkey Island 1 and 2 are very worthwhile. 
However, if you're not into them then Minisquadron is the business. 

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2011, 03:39:28 AM »

Solar Minotaur Rescue Frenzy by the one and only Jeff Minter was released yesterday, and I'll be damned if it isn't fucking great. It's basically the Atari VCS version of Asteroids on a mix of potent hallucinogens and enhanced with an interesting gravity mechanic and a bit of chaining. The controls are some of the best I've seen for a "hardcore" action game on iOS yet. They're challenging to use right, but learning to master them is part of the game's appeal. Highly recommended.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic