Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:04:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Dark Experiment - 2D Action Horror
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Dark Experiment - 2D Action Horror  (Read 11308 times)
jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 03:18:27 PM »

These environments look awesome! Is the game going through lots of different types of locations?

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »

This looks great!  Your artwork and character design have lots of personality.  The art style is very light-hearted and cartoony and I'm really curious to see how you mesh that with a dark, survival horror game.  It seems like you're pulling it off so far.  Keep up the good work!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 07:18:57 PM »

These environments look awesome! Is the game going through lots of different types of locations?

Thanks jordanchin! Yes that is the plan, I want to have the player traverse through a variety of unique locations that have been effected in some way by the outbreak.

This looks great!  Your artwork and character design have lots of personality.  The art style is very light-hearted and cartoony and I'm really curious to see how you mesh that with a dark, survival horror game.  It seems like you're pulling it off so far.  Keep up the good work!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

andyfromiowa thanks so much for the compliment! Yes the style I feel is something fresh and new that can add an extra flavor of "fun" attached to the concept of survival horror. Since it is pixel art, a nice fun and less realistic design and stronger color palette is something that I am sure will compliment the games visuals.

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 01:51:08 PM »

Small update showing some tile sets for a living room. This is where the heavy set guy lives and he doesn't take kindly to strangers.

Once I have the chat system coded ill show an example of how it works and use him as an example while his house is being ransacked.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 07:50:05 PM by KevinTillman » Logged

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2016, 02:58:45 PM »

So I have been recently implementing the chat system within the game. Still have to fine tune color palette for the chat box and its text.

Some characters will simply start talking without you initiating conversation when they have something they need to say, you then can usually just walk away from them and they will stop talking. Same thing if you initiate conversation, you can just walk away.

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2016, 03:06:14 PM »

So I have been recently implementing the chat system within the game. Still have to fine tune color palette for the chat box and its text.

Some characters will simply start talking without you initiating conversation when they have something they need to say, you then can usually just walk away from them and they will stop talking. Same thing if you initiate conversation, you can just walk away.

Nice! The text pacing works well here too. Def don't want to be in that guy's house right now!

www.jordanchinmusic.com
TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 07:47:06 AM »

Great choice of text style. Very easy on the eyes, and greatly fits in within the aesthetic of the game! Text can be tough. It has to be stylistically accurate, while not being too harsh.

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 01:38:56 PM »

Nice! The text pacing works well here too. Def don't want to be in that guy's house right now!

Hey jordanchin thanks! There is no telling what that guys hiding in his house but we intend to find out!

Great choice of text style. Very easy on the eyes, and greatly fits in within the aesthetic of the game! Text can be tough. It has to be stylistically accurate, while not being too harsh.

amanfr01 thanks so much I am really working on trying to nail the text style and color down. I am actually still deciding on the final output of the texts color and I was testing out the same colors used for the games Logo. A purple hue.

Any thoughts and suggestions on the text color?

froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2016, 02:14:30 PM »

Hey jordanchin thanks! There is no telling what that guys hiding in his house but we intend to find out!

amanfr01 thanks so much I am really working on trying to nail the text style and color down. I am actually still deciding on the final output of the texts color and I was testing out the same colors used for the games Logo. A purple hue.

Any thoughts and suggestions on the text color?

I don't know if it's just me, but I think coloured text (other than white or black) is always done for emphasis. You know, that thing where the game says "You need to find the key in the sea lab and insert it into the ancient door."

I always enjoy a little drop shadow behind my text and a slight gradient effect on the letters themselves. Helps the letters to "pop" without being too over done.

The black background gives the box a "negative" feeling. It doesn't feel "on top" of the stuff behind it. Kind of feels like its on the same level as the back wall, and the silver border actually stands out more. Maybe a lighter color for the background of the message box would give the drop shadow something to cast on.

My $0.02

And yet, still not satisfied...
craigz
Level 0

human.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2016, 06:29:17 PM »

AHA! Found you on twitter AND here!! :D

Keep up the great work!! Smiley  Hand Any Key Hand Any Key  Hand Shake Left  Hand Shake Right

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 08:50:58 PM »

i love a lot of this (your colors are great) but i do caution you against cliches. "they are coming" on the wall makes me roll my eyes even if i'm super immersed in the game's world (take a look at dead space, for instance, which does it well for the most part but still manages to be cloying)

ANYWAY I'M BEING A GRUMPY GUS i'm looking forward to this

as for the text color, i think i'd mute the purple a bit. it's super saturated, and i think a tad of desaturation + darkening would help that right up

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 10:15:32 PM »

I don't know if it's just me, but I think coloured text (other than white or black) is always done for emphasis. You know, that thing where the game says "You need to find the key in the sea lab and insert it into the ancient door."

I always enjoy a little drop shadow behind my text and a slight gradient effect on the letters themselves. Helps the letters to "pop" without being too over done.

The black background gives the box a "negative" feeling. It doesn't feel "on top" of the stuff behind it. Kind of feels like its on the same level as the back wall, and the silver border actually stands out more. Maybe a lighter color for the background of the message box would give the drop shadow something to cast on.

My $0.02

froggyishere that's a very good analysis, I didn't take into account how highlighting key elements in text will play its role in the dialogue. I will continue to make some tests and find a perfect balance between the hues of the basic text vs highlighting key elements within the text. This purple that I already have seems like a good choice for highlighting important text.

Doing a test to tone up the brightness on the background of the chat box just a tad bit to make it pop against that black background is a good idea to help get a greater sense of depth. Thanks for your feedback.

AHA! Found you on twitter AND here!! :D

Keep up the great work!! Smiley  Hand Any Key Hand Any Key  Hand Shake Left  Hand Shake Right

Hey thanks for the support craigz and vice versa!

i love a lot of this (your colors are great) but i do caution you against cliches. "they are coming" on the wall makes me roll my eyes even if i'm super immersed in the game's world (take a look at dead space, for instance, which does it well for the most part but still manages to be cloying)

ANYWAY I'M BEING A GRUMPY GUS i'm looking forward to this

as for the text color, i think i'd mute the purple a bit. it's super saturated, and i think a tad of desaturation + darkening would help that right up

rj thanks for your compliments and also yea I can see where your going with that, actually when I am engrossed in a game and I see stuff like that on walls too I just kind of bypass it myself and do not see it as of any importance as I am more focused on gameplay. Though I may decide to keep the graffiti but just simply change the content of the text to something less cliche.

Yea for those colors like I was telling froggyishere I will definitely play around with it more. I think what I will do is just go with a neutral white and a slightly desaturated purple hue to highlight key text within the dialogue. Sometimes neutral colors is simply the best way to go. I don't want colors all over the place for text.

Thanks everyone for your feedback I really do appreciate it.

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2016, 07:13:40 AM »

Sorry for the long wait I had unrelated independent projects to get done.

Here a quick example demonstrating how the player can use her knife to quickly kill weaker monsters. Some monsters are much stronger and will take longer to kill if you use only your knife. Your knife would be your last resort if you were to run out of ammo.

Major updates coming soon.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:19:37 AM by KevinTillman » Logged

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2016, 02:25:49 AM »

Sorry for the long wait I had unrelated independent projects to get done.

Here a quick example demonstrating how the player can use her knife to quickly kill weaker monsters. Some monsters are much stronger and will take longer to kill if you use only your knife. Your knife would be your last resort if you were to run out of ammo.

Major updates coming soon.

Ah, sweet dude! So are there going to be any stealth elements, or should players be busting into new areas, guns blazing?

www.jordanchinmusic.com
KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 06:26:55 AM »

Ah, sweet dude! So are there going to be any stealth elements, or should players be busting into new areas, guns blazing?

Hey Jordan no there will be no stealth elements, just mainly using guns and knives with the ability to dodge enemy attacks by rolling.

The player can also jump, so by rolling and jumping this will also help the player dodge air and ground attacks by different enemy types.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:43:57 AM by KevinTillman » Logged

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »

Started today with animating the player holding different weapons, started with the Beretta.

Thinking about adding an infrared scope to the Beretta for visuals, but then again there is no 360 degree aiming so it would be kind of pointless technical wise but would look kind of cool visual wise.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:31:02 AM by KevinTillman » Logged

Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 04:26:10 AM »

I'd say she looks like a guy at those shooting animations, I bet if her head will be switched to a male one, no one see anything wrong =/
I'm not saying she need to be oversexualized or something, but IMO now it's nothing feminine feels in her movements
is it by design?

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2016, 08:02:27 AM »

I'd say she looks like a guy at those shooting animations, I bet if her head will be switched to a male one, no one see anything wrong =/
I'm not saying she need to be oversexualized or something, but IMO now it's nothing feminine feels in her movements
is it by design?

Hmm you do have a definite point, what I did was recycle her default assault rifle stance for her legs into her handgun stance. A more feminine posture wouldn't hurt to sell her character at all.

Thanks for the feedback Shirsh I will definitely take this into consideration.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:10:00 AM by KevinTillman » Logged

KevinTillman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »

Just a quick animation test for the shotgun.

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »

Just a quick animation test for the shotgun.

Love it! while I agree with Shirsh about the handgun stance being a bit masculine, this one rocks my world.

www.jordanchinmusic.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic