Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:12:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Late Backing Now Open] Hazelnut Bastille: A Lush SNES-era Zelda-like ARPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: [Late Backing Now Open] Hazelnut Bastille: A Lush SNES-era Zelda-like ARPG  (Read 96735 times)
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 12:18:03 AM »

Messing around with different ways of handling spatial transitions and massing tonight (Don't mind the innaccurate corners, just sketching here):

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 12:50:25 AM »

Added a few of the new enemies we recently integrated into the game:

Tyron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 06:08:53 AM »

Awesome art style, promising game mechanics, very cool all in all :-)
wurthers
Level 0

wurthers original (not a candy)

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 10:37:30 PM »

Hey, love the look and feel of your art and enemy design, and the mechanics look to have a solid start! Keep up the good work, following for more Smiley
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »

Vote your preference!

Working on some drafts of our inventory GUI; we know what information we would like to convey on each screen, but still deciding on the framing. Here are several alternatives in one character. Do any of them stand out to you?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:07:51 PM by Aloft » Logged

Garmy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 09:51:43 PM »

I like the light blue one the best

I run https://www.develteam.com - an Indie Game Development Community
Gamedragon
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 12:05:37 AM »

I prefer the third personally. I've got to say that I'm super jealous of your game.
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »

I prefer the third personally. I've got to say that I'm super jealous of your game.

You have brought Dungeon Blitz pretty far in a short time for just being one guy!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 06:14:41 AM »

I also think the 2nd, light blue, is most pleasing.

Also - very cool, following!  Beer!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 06:20:28 AM »

I like the light blue UI too.

Also, Really digging what you're showing so far. Very polished! As great as the background look at the moment, I find they compete too much with the dynamic objects. I would consider finding ways to have them visually recede compared to the characters and effects.

The screenshot you posted with the blueish tileset is better, for instance because the monochrome colours of the BG create a better contrast against the character.

One simple thing you could also consider is to simply limit the saturation you allow yourself to use on the background. You could use as a rule that the blackest black of the BG can only be 60,60,60 or something and that no colour may have more than 50 or 60% saturation. Just a thought on a quick fix.

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 07:05:39 AM »

I definitely know what you mean. Everything is a pretty high level of saturation at the moment.

Probably what will happen is that in the next pass I do on the environment art in a month or two, I will push down the contrast of the floor a hair, so that the characters stick out against it a bit more. As saturated as they are, the characters could even jump a hair higher in their saturation. The pic at the top of this page (vs the opening post) is sort of the direction I picture things moving in, although the floor might have even less contrast still.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 11:06:16 AM »

New Item: Bombs

First version of the bomb explosion. Thinking of adding a projectile component to the bomb, possibly...

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »

New inventory screen for the collectibles and crafting page:

darthlupi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 07:17:15 PM »

That is funny.  I like it that you showed three options then BOOM. You show the better ( in my opinion ) 4th option.  Smiley
I definitely think the beige bg behind the items makes em POP.

You icons for the items are VERY classy.  Looks like a fun game brewing.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2016, 07:20:11 PM »

Hehe... that is actually for a different screen, but that would have been funny!

I know what you mean too... this new other screen is a bit cleaner... in a way that I could improve the other screen toward being.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2016, 07:21:53 AM »

Sienna's probably a bit stronger; de-emphasized the sculptural qualities on the frame to push the icons out more on this plate:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 08:01:50 AM by Aloft » Logged

somin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »

This looks cool Smiley
I do have to say that i think the bombs explosion looks way to slow. The way the bomb contracts and expands makes it seem like super slowmotion. I find it looks best if the expansion to the full blast radius only takes very few frames.. like 2 or 3, tops.

Also, I just noticed the hearts in the corner pumping. Nice detail! though the small one looks a bit shriveled up, not healthy x)

@sominklein      WIP Story Exploration Game      WIP Weltenformer      Done CLIMB
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »

Insert Quote
This looks cool Smiley
I do have to say that i think the bombs explosion looks way to slow. The way the bomb contracts and expands makes it seem like super slowmotion. I find it looks best if the expansion to the full blast radius only takes very few frames.. like 2 or 3, tops.

Also, I just noticed the hearts in the corner pumping. Nice detail! though the small one looks a bit shriveled up, not healthy x)

Thanks!

Yeah, the explosion phase of the bomb animation needed to be faster. I doubled that part, and made the contraction part shorter.

Good eye!

I actually like the heart contraction, but a couple people haven't, so maybe there is something to that...

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:24 PM »

Integrating our custom font and dialogue tree event system:

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »

Added a projectile component to the bomb (which can damage the player as so, as well as enemies), and bombable walls:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic