Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:07:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Late Backing Now Open] Hazelnut Bastille: A Lush SNES-era Zelda-like ARPG
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: [Late Backing Now Open] Hazelnut Bastille: A Lush SNES-era Zelda-like ARPG  (Read 92658 times)
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2016, 09:39:21 AM »

New Item: Flat-Lander's Cloak

Added a new multi-use mana-using item. It allows the player to transform themselves into one of a race of 2-dimensional beings from another plane of existence. While in this state, they can pass under most kinds of projectiles, but are still subject to contact damage. The player has no attack in this state, so it is partially a defensive move, although it also has other uses, such as slipping through narrow vents at the bases of walls which are easily overlooked. A great tool for dealing with projectile-heavy rooms.

MattEbbs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »

Wow, looks really impressive, keep up the good work!
A note about the tiles, I could be remembering wrong, but was there a tile system shown at one of the more recent Unite conferences, and if so, did you try it out?

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »

Wow, looks really impressive, keep up the good work!
A note about the tiles, I could be remembering wrong, but was there a tile system shown at one of the more recent Unite conferences, and if so, did you try it out?

Hmm, interesting, will have to look for that, to see what features they present.

What ends up happening a lot of times, is a lot of devs will make their own system for tile management, because different games need different features in their tiles.

For us, We have the need for many layers (since we have greater-than normal overlapping layers, and we have a lot of depth-render challenges with things which should pass over or under certain other layers), we needed to separate our collision and our graphical layers (has something to do with transitioning floors when things like overpass bridges are involved), and a system for painting with animated tiles.

We wrote our own editor system in Unity that was geared toward meeting these specific needs, as well as placing event items and managing the enemy spawn system.

Having all of our map-editing needs in one place was a major bonus.

MattEbbs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

Hmm, interesting, will have to look for that, to see what features they present.

What ends up happening a lot of times, is a lot of devs will make their own system for tile management, because different games need different features in their tiles.

For us, We have the need for many layers (since we have greater-than normal overlapping layers, and we have a lot of depth-render challenges with things which should pass over or under certain other layers), we needed to separate our collision and our graphical layers (has something to do with transitioning floors when things like overpass bridges are involved), and a system for painting with animated tiles.

We wrote our own editor system in Unity that was geared toward meeting these specific needs, as well as placing event items and managing the enemy spawn system.

Having all of our map-editing needs in one place was a major bonus.
[/quote]

Cool, nice job again. We had to create our own tile system as well, but were never able to work all the kinks out unfortunately

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »

Yeah, we were lucky one of our team knows the custom Unity editor system very well.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »

Working on a new enemy type, which has 4-way grounded movement, and a special move, where it projects a double instantly into the room someplace, then quickly rushes toward it.

I guess they are called Necrophasers?

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »

New Enemy: Pistil

Our Pistil enemy is another support character. They possess rapid 4-way movement, and a predictably-timed  projectile shot which is aimed at the player's standing location. For this reason, they add quite a bit of tension to the room, since the player is no-longer permitted to stay in the same area for long, but must remain in constant motion in order to evade this attack, while also taking care not to be surrounded from too many sides that it becomes impossible to dodge the projectiles. They combine well with aggressive melee enemies which tank the damage from the player for them, effectively becoming the enemy version of "damage per second".

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »

Another Enemy concept today... These guys have an armored front, and lay explosive eggs behind them every now and then. Upon being defeated, they drop a precursor item needed for crafting bombs.

Maybe they are called... "Queen"s? I don't know, maybe you guys have a better name?

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »

Finished the walk cycles for these guys... I sort of like how the tiny legs have to move stupidly fast to keep with the movement speed.

We probably won't get to the egg-laying behavior till quite a bit later, but here they are for now:

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2016, 07:18:05 AM »

A few more new friends join the wall:

Artifice Machine
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2016, 08:27:24 AM »

I wasn't sure about this game at first, but it's growing on me. Usually when I see a blatantly Zelda style game I'm not impressed.

I like the title Hazelnut Bastille, and it works well with the graphics.

Your graphic style is interesting. Something like storybook illustrations.

The enemies are coming along nicely. You're doing a good job of making sure they're diverse.

I enjoy the plethora of items. I'd be interested to read more about them.

I do have some suggestions concerning the graphics:
- The white outline on the player's hair sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe you could afford to tone it down a bit?
- The bat's eyes seem too large. Maybe a single pixel?
- The fire could benefit from some transparency.
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2016, 10:08:31 AM »

I wasn't sure about this game at first, but it's growing on me. Usually when I see a blatantly Zelda style game I'm not impressed.

I like the title Hazelnut Bastille, and it works well with the graphics.

Your graphic style is interesting. Something like storybook illustrations.

The enemies are coming along nicely. You're doing a good job of making sure they're diverse.

I enjoy the plethora of items. I'd be interested to read more about them.

I do have some suggestions concerning the graphics:
- The white outline on the player's hair sticks out like a sore thumb. Maybe you could afford to tone it down a bit?
- The bat's eyes seem too large. Maybe a single pixel?
- The fire could benefit from some transparency.

Thanks, that's good to hear!

We do plan to start explaining more about the quest items shortly, and write a general blurb about each of them, being we just finished adding them to the game engine. They are of course subject to change, but the final set is probably going to at least closely resemble what we have now.

The player character is going to get a makeover at some point in the next couple months. Her 200 or so frames of animation were done pretty quickly (a few days) so we would have something to work with in prototyping that wasn't some stock character, but now that we are seeing enough of the art to establish the conventions and color palette, as well as general art character, there is enough information to make another pass at her.

I have been making little sketches from time to time about how to do her a bit differently. I will probably do hundreds of alternatives before I settle on one.

I could try that with the bat, maybe it would be an improvement, possibly...

As far as the fire goes, it seems pretty standard for art from this era to render it opaquely:

Although one thing that might add to the fire in the game is a transparent layer to indicate "glow", and that is something I think we will definitely do.

Artifice Machine
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »

To be more specific the fire's dark outline makes it appear more solid than it should.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. Good luck!
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »

Ahhhhh, yeah I see what you mean now. Yeah that is something it is probably good to change.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 12:57:54 PM »

Loving the pace of the updates!

I personally like the brunette hair color for the character, the first two options on the 2nd row. Specifically, the 2nd one. It seems to fit her better...or maybe I'm just tired of red-haired MCs?

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »

Believe it or not, there are lots of good reasons to have red hair from a graphical standpoint: saturated red hair tends to have extreme contrast against almost any environment, allowing you to read the contours of the animations in any situation, which is a bigger challenge than you might expect, with more subtle hair colors. Nintendo went with Pink for LTTP, hehe.

You'll also notice a lot of the famous Nintendo and Sega characters have red shoes for the same reason, since being able to read the feet is super important for clarity in the animations.

We will definitely try dozens of other colors though !

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2016, 01:33:40 PM »

Just finished first draft of our project titleplate art. Took a bit longer than expected, hehe.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2016, 01:42:46 AM »

I have been spending a bit of time looking over the techniques others have used in the past to render outdoor overworld environments in 3/4 perspective views. Here is something I noticed today that I found pretty astonishing:

This screen shot is from the Secret of Mana. Notice how organic the border between the dirt and the grass looks:

And surprisingly, once you overlay the grid, you get to see what really happened:

All they had to do to get that organic feel was to have 4 diagonal tiles, and 4 inner wall borders for the grass to dirt transition. The tiles are placed in such a way as to disguise their simpicity. Pretty impressive to me.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2016, 05:46:23 AM »

Believe it or not, there are lots of good reasons to have red hair from a graphical standpoint: saturated red hair tends to have extreme contrast against almost any environment, allowing you to read the contours of the animations in any situation, which is a bigger challenge than you might expect, with more subtle hair colors. Nintendo went with Pink for LTTP, hehe.

You'll also notice a lot of the famous Nintendo and Sega characters have red shoes for the same reason, since being able to read the feet is super important for clarity in the animations.

We will definitely try dozens of other colors though !

That's probably why I'm sick of it lol.

Also, beautiful title art!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2016, 10:39:02 AM »

Thanks! I am happy with how the initial version turned out, but I might go with a high-res title... that seems like a choice a lot of pixel art games are making, and I can see why they would want the clarity in the title (Evoland games being an exception, but they used massive lettering).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic