Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:57:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Late Backing Now Open] Hazelnut Bastille: A Lush SNES-era Zelda-like ARPG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: [Late Backing Now Open] Hazelnut Bastille: A Lush SNES-era Zelda-like ARPG  (Read 92670 times)
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2016, 08:39:18 AM »

Going a little crazy on vegetation atm. Currently I am thinking we may have a few tiers, from small interactable grass clumps, to colliding bushes and brush, to large (6 tiles wide) boundary defining trees:

JaJ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2016, 07:40:53 AM »

I especially like the difference between the larger trees and bushes. Creates a lot of depth. Difference in detail between colliding bushes and the bigger grass clumps may be a but too small.

By the way, this is my first response but I have been following for a while. Beautiful project!

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2016, 01:41:13 PM »

Thanks!

That whole picture looks super-organic, which is partially because the tiles which help to establish the visual grid don't appear in that image, and the colors haven't been tuned for contrast and edge reading, since everything was made individually. The next ones are probably going to give a stronger impression of what an average space is like.

I do really like the many overlapping tiers of vegetation too though!

Difference in detail between colliding bushes and the bigger grass clumps may be a but too small.

Oh as it appears here, it definitely is. This is ultimately an impression sketch I did- many things would have to be better visually defined in actual assets.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »

A little more definition there with the edges and bordering elements:

(Keep in mind these images don't represent our intentions per se, so much as early technical sketches)

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »

It's definitely working though - the new definition really helps the previously mentioned feeling of depth and density to the vegetation.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2016, 06:50:59 PM »

I agree, the difference between those two images is from worse to better.

Maybe taking out a few drops of environment saturation may help the characters read a bit better too:

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2016, 08:02:01 AM »

Overall your vegetation looks pretty good but those "Zelda like" bushes on the right look a little out of place to me.

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »

My God this looks so lovely. Any chance there will be a Mac-friendly test build?

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2016, 11:44:34 AM »

My God this looks so lovely. Any chance there will be a Mac-friendly test build?

Yeah, we could probably do that soon. None of us have a mac, so there wouldn't be a way to test it on our end, was the main issue.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »

Overall your vegetation looks pretty good but those "Zelda like" bushes on the right look a little out of place to me.

Yeah, those were very much a placeholder... right now I am sort of focused on having one of everything, and less so on every element being polished (since it will be hard to know which are appropriate, or which need to be scrapped due to being outside the spirit of the whole). I have a pretty good idea of what the finished tileset will be in mind, but those expectations usually tend to change slightly as things progress.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2016, 12:44:51 PM »

Oh then it's a good thing that I thought they were out of place. Smiley

Keep the good job  Beer!

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2016, 02:29:08 PM »

Oh then it's a good thing that I thought they were out of place. Smiley

Keep the good job  Beer!

In a place like this, ESPECIALLY in a subforum enitled "Feedback", it is pretty much always a good thing to say what you don't like about a work, despite some creators not getting that  Wink

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »

None of us have a mac, so there wouldn't be a way to test it on our end, was the main issue.

<------------ Mac tester right here!

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2016, 03:27:46 PM »

None of us have a mac, so there wouldn't be a way to test it on our end, was the main issue.

<------------ Mac tester right here!

Grin

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2016, 04:44:05 AM »

New Scripting Structure: Event Sequencer

While we work on overworld concepts, there is also work being done toward the event management system.

We have written a new node-editor within Unity for stringing together sequential events that take place when the player speaks to or interacts with an NPC, or any number of the in-game cutscenes takes place.

This involves dialogue trees, camera actions, sprite animations, global and local variable controls (bools / ints), and several other features.

The system also allows for splitting a sequence stream, so that several events are called all at once next tic, and joining together several streams so that both of them must complete before starting the next event node.

Having this steam-lined system makes adding story and theatric elements pretty fast and manageable for us.

rioren
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2016, 08:14:39 AM »

Gorgeous pixelwork!!
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2016, 08:42:49 AM »

This game is looking lovely so far.  Played the build.  You've really got the feel of Link to the Past nailed here.  I did run into a few issues.  I know this is an early build, so I assume these will be worked out in development, but figured I'd mention them anyway:
-There was no game-over when my character ran out of health.  I was able to keep running around and fighting at 0 hp.
-There were a number of rooms where I'd immediately get hit by something upon entering the room.  Mainly the rooms with the Adipose enemies. (In one room, it hit me with it's projectile as soon as I entered the room, and in another, the enemy itself was right by the door, so I hit it when moving into the room.)
-The room with the fire and arrow traps could have been better telegraphed.  At first, the fire traps happened to be timed with me hitting the button, so I thought they were activated by the button.  After those died down, I tried to go through the narrow passages only to be blindsided by the arrow.  I would have a leadup area to the room that runs parallel to it,  so that it takes some time to reach the button, giving the traps time to play out so the player can see them. 
-The room with 4 Adipose was a massive spike in difficulty.  Especially with how rigid the movement is (which, in itself, isn't a problem), it was really hard to find a safe location to attack from in between projectiles and still have time to move out of the way to dodge the next attack.
-I got stuck on a room with two buttons which both seem to just activate some spikes. (There are blocks blocking the door out)

Anyway, this is looking really promising, and the pixel art is gorgeous.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2016, 09:58:11 AM »

This game is looking lovely so far.  Played the build.  You've really got the feel of Link to the Past nailed here.  I did run into a few issues.  I know this is an early build, so I assume these will be worked out in development, but figured I'd mention them anyway:
-There was no game-over when my character ran out of health.  I was able to keep running around and fighting at 0 hp.
-There were a number of rooms where I'd immediately get hit by something upon entering the room.  Mainly the rooms with the Adipose enemies. (In one room, it hit me with it's projectile as soon as I entered the room, and in another, the enemy itself was right by the door, so I hit it when moving into the room.)
-The room with the fire and arrow traps could have been better telegraphed.  At first, the fire traps happened to be timed with me hitting the button, so I thought they were activated by the button.  After those died down, I tried to go through the narrow passages only to be blindsided by the arrow.  I would have a leadup area to the room that runs parallel to it,  so that it takes some time to reach the button, giving the traps time to play out so the player can see them. 
-The room with 4 Adipose was a massive spike in difficulty.  Especially with how rigid the movement is (which, in itself, isn't a problem), it was really hard to find a safe location to attack from in between projectiles and still have time to move out of the way to dodge the next attack.
-I got stuck on a room with two buttons which both seem to just activate some spikes. (There are blocks blocking the door out)

Anyway, this is looking really promising, and the pixel art is gorgeous.

Yeah, we haven't added the feature of death yet- the build we posted was done at the prototyping stage, where we were predominantly concerned with major systems. We have added and polished a lot since then, but our next public builds will likely be a while coming.

We are aware of the issue with getting attacked as enemies spawn near you. Our current solution as of that prototype was exclusion zones, but they could be bigger, and probably aligned so that enemies which immediately spawn don't have line of sight on the player to hit them with projectiles.

There actually was a telegraph for the basic arrow trap, but for some reason it didn't make it into the proto, lol. In all honesty, we probably wouldn't place them so far off screen in a real dungeon room.

I am glad you see the movement as we do- that choice was sort of about creating opportunities for gameplay challenges that exploit the weaknesses of the character controller. For instance, many kinds of the enemies that gave LoZ Link trouble would be easy for LTTP link. A lot of the difficulty has to do with often needing to approach enemies on their axis of attack.

The room you got stuck in is meant for the beetle item that was found in the room just before it; that item is launched with another controller button, and has the ability to pass over the spikes.

Thanks for the feedback!

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2016, 07:21:37 AM »

Had these two cliff-face edge pieces (the exterior and interior corners for a 4-tall version), and I got distracted a bit and drew some arid-land tiles between them.

The big blue-gray plants are agave, which we are using as a spike hazard.

Aloft
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »

Some more forest tile sketches.

I think I like this style of tree a bit better than the earlier, because it is less busy, has a bit more frontal orientation, and reads more as a symbol the player's eye understands, and less as a detail to focus on.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic