Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:42:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessShould I even try?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Should I even try?  (Read 2263 times)
Hambone
Level 1

follow on the twitter @The_Hambone1988

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »

I know that in reality most independent developers won't every have enough success to have a sustainable career. I also know that this is right up there with being a writer/poet or musician and is something you do for the love. But, with that being said is it still worth it to try and go "pro"?

Just wanted a general discussion and curious on yall's thoughts.

Hambone

Wannabe indie game developer
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:02:05 AM »

the sole fact you're asking this is a big warning that you shouldn't try.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:49:09 AM »

Nah, I think it's a fair question.

I think many of us would love to be able to do this for a living, but have issues with various things that might come along with it, be it starvation and stress from having do all the stuff at once unless one had money to invest from the start or got funding somehow, or don't want to deal with all the horrible people that would crop up if one got well-known enough for one's work. Making games is more than making games, unfortunately.

However, OP didn't really specify their worries, so it's hard to say anything helpful.

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 01:41:28 AM »

You didn't give a lot of details on your background indeed! If you've never touched a game engine, well maybe you could start with a few game jams. Once you're starting to know what you're doing, the question may answer itself.

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 03:29:29 AM »

I'd start small. Start it as a hobby. Maybe participate in game jams or do some very short and simple games and build up from that.

In time, you're going to see if you have what it takes to go full-time and take on bigger projects.
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 04:58:22 AM »

There's a lot of faffing about at a hobby level before you can hope to answer that question yourself.
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:05:27 AM »

I would say you have to see it as a possibility to become one of the best. That you don't find it impossible to become as good as or better than your heroes. And then realize that to get there you need to work hard and be led by inspiration rather than what you are "supposed" to do. Also I think most people need a dayjob while they learn the skillz. That's my take. I want to become one of the best but since I have a job where I work 80% this gamemaking might always be a side thing. To me, as long as I'm making games (even if only I play them) I'm happy!

Twitter: @pbergmar
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 06:09:30 AM »

the sole fact you're asking this is a big warning that you shouldn't try.

I know where you are coming from but I disagree. Many start businesses centered around things they probably are not passionate about.

I admit, I should have given more detail. I personally feel as though, only attempting indie dev as a hobby with no desire to go pro, one will not work as hard? What I mean is, is a "pro" effort worth it? As in working on top of a full-time job say an additional 25+ hours a week?  This is probably a silly question but would like to hear others thoughts. I again understand it requires a great deal of luck. Hell, there are some that never worked that hard for a long time and still made it. I am probably just being too much of a dream and vein. I probably just need to make games because well... I just want to?

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 06:10:56 AM »

I would say you have to see it as a possibility to become one of the best. That you don't find it impossible to become as good as or better than your heroes. And then realize that to get there you need to work hard and be led by inspiration rather than what you are "supposed" to do. Also I think most people need a dayjob while they learn the skillz. That's my take. I want to become one of the best but since I have a job where I work 80% this gamemaking might always be a side thing. To me, as long as I'm making games (even if only I play them) I'm happy!

I like this. I like this because it is a bit of a competitive attitude. Nothing wrong with pushing yourself.

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 06:15:27 AM »

You didn't give a lot of details on your background indeed! If you've never touched a game engine, well maybe you could start with a few game jams. Once you're starting to know what you're doing, the question may answer itself.

I have a CS degree and have messed around with a little game programming. I just have not really attempted game design yet. Even though I *could* write an engine and do have an interest in that, I feel as though in order to focus on game design you need to have a system that is well established and already solves a lot of the problems you will have without having to worry about engine code. I will probably start working with GameMake for rapid 2D and Unity for rapid 3D prototyping.

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 06:16:16 AM »

There's a lot of faffing about at a hobby level before you can hope to answer that question yourself.

This is true. I should probably just shut up and make games Huh?  Durr...?

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 06:17:57 AM »

I'd start small. Start it as a hobby. Maybe participate in game jams or do some very short and simple games and build up from that.

In time, you're going to see if you have what it takes to go full-time and take on bigger projects.

Along with a full-time job, I planned to work maybe 2-3 hours each evening. I figured this would be enough to let me know if I have what it takes? I figured after 6 months to a year would be enough time to know if I am in it for the right reasons or not?

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 07:27:19 AM »

I have a CS degree and have messed around with a little game programming. I just have not really attempted game design yet. Even though I *could* write an engine and do have an interest in that, I feel as though in order to focus on game design you need to have a system that is well established and already solves a lot of the problems you will have without having to worry about engine code. I will probably start working with GameMake for rapid 2D and Unity for rapid 3D prototyping.
I didn't mean to write your own game engine, rather use the ones you're talking about Smiley You can't really decide to go full time without having touched one yet.

With 2-3 hours each evening and dedication, you can go quite far, as long as you keep your scope reasonable!

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Morch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 08:42:11 AM »

It's actually a good question!

I started writing a super long answer, but then I realized I was going in all directions, so here is the best advice I can give you: You won't know until you've tried.

That being said, there are so many things to think about when starting out, I would recommend reading up a little on all the aspects of independent game/business development here: Pixel Prospector

A few important things (I think) to keep in mind if you eventually want to be a full-time indie developer.

- You need to think of game development from a business perspective (development costs, marketing, etc.)
- The road to success is paved with many (many (many)) failures.
- Never forget that we always hear of the great successes and failures, but we never talk about the smaller companies that are not super rich, but make for a good part of the sustainable, multi-billion dollar industry that are video games. Some of these companies touch markets you never even heard of or thought about.

Oh, and start small. Best development advice anyone can give you.
Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 07:37:26 PM »

Along with a full-time job, I planned to work maybe 2-3 hours each evening. I figured this would be enough to let me know if I have what it takes? I figured after 6 months to a year would be enough time to know if I am in it for the right reasons or not?

I'd give it a bit more than that, to be honest. It takes time to build things up, especially as a side-project. Maybe at least 2 years if you really want to follow your dreams and are committed. As long as you have another source of income, you are not risking anything other than your time.

One other advice I'd give is to connect with other industry people as much as you can. Aside from being able to make good games, you need connections and people to know you. It also doesn't hurt to know talented people that could collaborate with you.
voodoomaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »

Don't know what your background is, but first work a few years full time as software developer for any kind of industry before thinking of doing game development to earn a living. Just to learn to work professionally.
Do not start with 3D. Probably never do 3D as Indie.
Do not do anything that would last more than one year no matter how much time you can commit.
And start small.
Finally, start small.
Shine Klevit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 12:11:26 AM »

What is the risk, exactly?
VampireSquid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2016, 10:58:38 AM »

I think it's a great question.  Reading through your post it just mirrors the same stuff I struggle with.

Since I am in the same boat I don't really have any solutions but.. I think you are on the right track.  It is important to determine whether or not it is worth the effort.  You only live once so you don't want to look back and feel you wasted a huge chunk of your free time.

The approach I am taking is to focus on an idea that is somewhat doable as a part-time project and yet has the potential to sell if worked on for longer.  I plan to work on my idea for a year or so, to get to the point where I could call it alpha and then start showing it to people.  Based on the feedback I should have an idea if it could be a commercial project or not.

If you look at the successful indie games, not all but some had early feedback via an award or a popular devlog on this site.  So the developers had some idea before they went for it that there was demand for the game.  Given that fact, my intention is to get just far enough along with the idea to judge whether that demand exists.  If it does, you aren't risking as much, if it doesn't well you cut your losses.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 11:13:54 AM »

Please read
http://www.lostgarden.com/2015/04/minimum-sustainable-success.html

Probably your first 10 games will suck. Maybe your first 100. So fail fast.

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »

Please read
http://www.lostgarden.com/2015/04/minimum-sustainable-success.html

Probably your first 10 games will suck. Maybe your first 100. So fail fast.

Agreed. I am soon going to switch to a rapid prototyping practice

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic