Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:02:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessShould I even try?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Should I even try?  (Read 2278 times)
Hambone
Level 1

follow on the twitter @The_Hambone1988

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »

I think it's a great question.  Reading through your post it just mirrors the same stuff I struggle with.

Since I am in the same boat I don't really have any solutions but.. I think you are on the right track.  It is important to determine whether or not it is worth the effort.  You only live once so you don't want to look back and feel you wasted a huge chunk of your free time.

The approach I am taking is to focus on an idea that is somewhat doable as a part-time project and yet has the potential to sell if worked on for longer.  I plan to work on my idea for a year or so, to get to the point where I could call it alpha and then start showing it to people.  Based on the feedback I should have an idea if it could be a commercial project or not.

If you look at the successful indie games, not all but some had early feedback via an award or a popular devlog on this site.  So the developers had some idea before they went for it that there was demand for the game.  Given that fact, my intention is to get just far enough along with the idea to judge whether that demand exists.  If it does, you aren't risking as much, if it doesn't well you cut your losses.

I am glad I am not the only one. Glad I am not alone.

I like the approach you are taking. I would say it is very similar to mine. I like how we came to a similar conclusion.

Wannabe indie game developer
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2016, 07:11:55 PM »

Don't know what your background is, but first work a few years full time as software developer for any kind of industry before thinking of doing game development to earn a living. Just to learn to work professionally.
Do not start with 3D. Probably never do 3D as Indie.
Do not do anything that would last more than one year no matter how much time you can commit.
And start small.
Finally, start small.

I am working as a developer in enterprise atm. I agree. I've learned a lot.

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 07:17:49 PM »

What is the risk, exactly?

When said like this it kinda eases the stress.. I mean, truly right now there is no risk. I do not plan on quitting my day job. Nothing depends on this but my desire to create something fun.

I think the question I may really be having is..., well... time. Should I be spending the greater part of my free-time working on games or should I be studying something closer to my current career as an enterprise developer? I guess it comes down to am I making good choices with the free-time I do have. Should I be playing games? Should I just be spaced out and not doing anything at all? Orr should I shut up and just work on games?

I know these are questions that I have to answer.

Major_Minion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »

How old are you, and what kind of games would you most like to make?

I, for my part, will be 33 in two weeks. I'm working on my first real game now, and for me, spending X number of years in enployment to learn the ropes isn't an option. I neither have the time for that or the education that would qualify me for such a job, so the decision is easy. I'll stay in my current day job and make do with the skills I already have and improve along the way. I think learning by creating is more motivating anyway. What is your situation?

Moreover, the kind of games I really want to make (RPGs and economic simulators) can be pulled off without very complicated programming or 3D or sophisticated graphics. They rely more on creating value through ample amounts of entertaining content, and that I already know I can do. Maybe your choice of games/the genres you are passionate about will influence your choice too?
voodoomaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 02:52:05 AM »

Everyone thinking about "going pro" should watch this first:

Major_Minion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 02:46:49 AM »

Thanks for the video of Rami Ismael's lecture, voodoomaster, it was very interesting hearing his perspective.

As far as I can tell, the tl;dr summary of the lecture is this:
"If you love making games, make them! Create something you're proud of, and don't do it expecting success, because the chances are slim when you start out. Expect rather to learn from your work and improve so that people get to know you, your skills increase, and your chances of success in the future will be greater than they are today."

So, if Rami Ismael has advice for you, Hambone, he'd say: Expect modest results from your efforts with game development. Don't plan for conquering the world with your first game, so don't risk too much making it.
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 06:40:41 PM »

Everyone thinking about "going pro" should watch this first:

Thanks for the share!

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:41 PM »

How old are you, and what kind of games would you most like to make?

I, for my part, will be 33 in two weeks. I'm working on my first real game now, and for me, spending X number of years in enployment to learn the ropes isn't an option. I neither have the time for that or the education that would qualify me for such a job, so the decision is easy. I'll stay in my current day job and make do with the skills I already have and improve along the way. I think learning by creating is more motivating anyway. What is your situation?

Moreover, the kind of games I really want to make (RPGs and economic simulators) can be pulled off without very complicated programming or 3D or sophisticated graphics. They rely more on creating value through ample amounts of entertaining content, and that I already know I can do. Maybe your choice of games/the genres you are passionate about will influence your choice too?

I am 27 years old (old man). For the time being I plan on working on games that are smaller, like simple web games/mobile (huge fan of using LibGDX).

I currently work as an enterprise developer (bug fixer) or should I say paid daydreamer. I would love to work full-time on my own as an independent developer. I would rather not do it on borrowed money but on revenue generated from a game or two. I don't plan on the truck loads of cash but it would be nice to make just enough to make the next game. Maybe this is possibility, maybe not? I completed a degree in Computer Science and have made some smaller games. I would say that I am decently proficient at the development side of gamedev but I stink at the design aspects. This is the area that is most important. This actually took a little bit of maturity to realize. Coming from a background with lots of interest in algorithms you forget that it is the design that is important in the end, people don't care how it was made. I am hoping that researching, playing games, reading good books and simply trying to make games will bring my design skills up to par. Opinions on this? Can game design be "learned"?

I recently decided to move away from jumping straight to code when I had a new game idea. I am finding that tools like GameMaker make it amazingly easy to flesh out a prototypes in hours instead of days. I feel like I am a little late on this train but nonetheless glad I finally got on board. I came up with a little process for prototyping games, I'll probably post it soon.

Sorry for the ramble...

Hambone

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »

Thanks for the video of Rami Ismael's lecture, voodoomaster, it was very interesting hearing his perspective.

As far as I can tell, the tl;dr summary of the lecture is this:
"If you love making games, make them! Create something you're proud of, and don't do it expecting success, because the chances are slim when you start out. Expect rather to learn from your work and improve so that people get to know you, your skills increase, and your chances of success in the future will be greater than they are today."

So, if Rami Ismael has advice for you, Hambone, he'd say: Expect modest results from your efforts with game development. Don't plan for conquering the world with your first game, so don't risk too much making it.

I totally agree, my biggest risk right now is sweat equity. I found myself yet again working out a concept in my mind and the concept grew and grew and suddenly I realized that the concept would take 6 months+. I want to stick with smaller games and focus on making these games quality. I would like to "ship" a game relatively soon.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 08:33:57 AM »

If you want to ship then limit your time.
http://agameaweek.com/
http://www.onegameamonth.com/

It will probably take 2+ years to get your technical chops at game development efficient where you can start churning quality things out rapidly, so get started!

Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 10:33:28 AM »

If you want to ship then limit your time.
http://agameaweek.com/
http://www.onegameamonth.com/

It will probably take 2+ years to get your technical chops at game development efficient where you can start churning quality things out rapidly, so get started!

Good tip. I *believe* I have the skillz for gamddev in terms of technical, it is the design part I need a lot of practice/work at.

M2M_Studios
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2016, 05:15:13 PM »

the sole fact you're asking this is a big warning that you shouldn't try.
As much as I don't want to sound like a douche , this here is a very valid point. If it doesn't bleed from your fingers I wouldn't recommend trying. Please don't take this the wrong way; this is an industry where your dreams can be shattered in just a matter of minutes.
Hambone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 05:15:42 PM »

the sole fact you're asking this is a big warning that you shouldn't try.
As much as I don't want to sound like a douche , this here is a very valid point. If it doesn't bleed from your fingers I wouldn't recommend trying. Please don't take this the wrong way; this is an industry where your dreams can be shattered in just a matter of minutes.

“I hate writing, I love having written.”
― Dorothy Parker

thatgamesguy
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »

Of the types of indie designers out there... one type is the designers who is just in it to have fun and see where it goes.   They have a general attitude that if they see success then they will pursue it full time.  In my opinion they are not quite fully committed or confident enough in their own ability that they can get there, or don't want their fun to become work.   If your this type, does it matter if you fail?

Then there are the developers who are are convinced that its not a matter of if, its just a matter of when. From my experience the majority of people with this mindset don't continue to fail forever as long as they continue to learn and grow.

Whenever I go into a project, I almost always hear "Don't quit your day job"  I'm curious, do you guys think this is good advice?   Its going to make it that much harder to succeed if your not prepared to give it 100%.

So I feel it would be safe to say don't try if your in it to win it, yet not willing to give 100% and continue trying for as long as it takes.

Crawling up out of my previous indie disasters, I could sure use your help to lighten up this wasteland I call progress. Noir:
Submit your game to my Kaidus.com/community/linkdirectory Gomez and I can get you a free backlink!
Mind Grown
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2016, 09:17:53 AM »

Great question! As a lot of people have pointed out, it is a tough one to just answer simply.

So from my personal experience:
  • Make due with what development you can while you still have a full time job.
  • Allow yourself to be flexible.
  • Be willing to pick up a part time or seasonal job for support (Bar tender, waiter, tour guide).
  • Learn from others mistakes before trying things (looks like you're already on top of that).
  • Be passionate, but mindful (also seems like you nailed it).

I started seriously looking into game development while I was in college and worked summers in a tourist location (Door County, WI) as a kayak tour guide. It has been pretty 'easy' doable for me to work hard (really hard 12h x 7d) at my 'day job' all summer long (only three months here). Then during the fall I get a little time to relax, and then jump on game dev all winter long. I barely make it by, as I don't have any income from my games yet, but it works for me. I don't have a car payment, I don't have any dependents, I don't have a mortgage, I don't have a lot of things, but it works for me. I have me, my game, and indie development.  Coffee

So, if indie dev is what you want to do, just make it work.

Good Luck! Smiley

- Ryan Bemowski -

- @ConvictedGalaxy - Devlog -
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic