Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411411 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 08:35:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDOS - Rhythm runner
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DOS - Rhythm runner  (Read 926 times)
Ulydev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2016, 12:10:42 PM »

Introduction

Hey there, developers! Gentleman

My name's Ulysse (ulydev), I'm a 17 years-old student from France.

DOS is a rhythm runner that I'm currently making in collaboration with Brian Havey (zminusone), who composes the soundtrack.
I made the first prototype of DOS during Ludum Dare 35, and after all the great feedback it got, I decided to make a full game out of it.

The game consists in changing the shape of the player to match the shape of the obstacles and avoid them.
It's also completely synchronised with the music, meaning you'll need to play according to the beat in order to survive.
Here's a sample gameplay gif from the first prototype:

Progress

The game itself is almost done, it just needs some more polish and a few more mechanics to spice it up.

Recently, I've been working mostly on the title screen and level selection menu.
Here's a quick preview of it (temporary labels):

Release

DOS is planned to be released on both mobile and desktop platforms during the summer, but I'm not in a hurry.
I and Brian are currently trying to find new mechanics to add to the game in order to make it funnier.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, suggestions are more than welcome! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:41:28 PM by Ulydev » Logged
zminusone
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »

Sweeet! Well, hello there!

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:56:30 PM »

Love how fast and energetic this feels. Though I worry someone with epilepsy may have problems with it (I guess that's a running theme among games, just seems a bit more pronounced here).

jordanchin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »

Great concept! This looks like loads of fun.

Composer & Sound Designer
www.jordanchinmusic.com
Ulydev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »

Hey there,

Sorry for not updating this thread. I must admit I've been kind of stuck on this game and cannot manage to find new innovative ideas.

That's why I'm releasing this small demo of the game, so you can have a preview of what it looks like in its current state.
I'm currently trying to find new ideas / mechanics to implement in DOS, so I'm open to any feedback.

Please feel free to post any suggestion or comment Smiley

Note: there's an issue with the numbers not displaying correctly sometimes, it's due to the current version of LÖVE and should be fixed in the next builds.

Download:

Windows
OSX
Ulydev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 02:35:07 PM »

New demo available!

This one features 2 levels (easy / medium) and introduces the new rhythm mechanic.
You earn additional points by moving with the beat!

Download:

Windows
OSX
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 03:08:11 PM by Ulydev » Logged
Ulydev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »

Hey there,

DOS has been put on hold this summer and I've decided to get back to it. It's almost done!

Recently I've been working on note patterns, a classic mechanic in rhythm games. Side notes are coming from the left and the right and you have to press the corresponding keys with the beat of the music to advance further in the game.

Also made some progress this week, I've been working mostly on the networking part of the game.
Played around with Luvit, it's a really nice little framework.

I've set up a server and a simple scoring system for all your competition needs Smiley

maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

Love it!
Simple game mechanic that works really well.
The only problem I see is with longevity, but it seems you're already working on that.
Good luck!

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic