Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:42:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHegemone Pass - Stealth JRPG (KICKSTARTER + DEMO 1.21 OUT)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hegemone Pass - Stealth JRPG (KICKSTARTER + DEMO 1.21 OUT)  (Read 15369 times)
Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:58:59 AM »

HEGEMONE PASS
Stealth JRPG of the Underworld

hegemonepass.com

The deep love between King Hades and innocent Persephone leads her to become the Queen of the Underworld. But Demeter’s worry for her daughter leads her to wage a war against the Underworld. Hades disappears, and an army swarms their Palace: in the attack, her very own “corrupted” daughter loses her title and falls from the heights of the Palace. Demeter, now Queen of the Underworld, begins a hunt for Hades to imprison him in Tartarus and liberate all the souls of the Underworld… and her daughter fights to protect the order of the Underworld.

If an enemy spots you, you'll be ambushed by a large swarm of foes, and enemies will become much more powerful during a Hunt.

Take on the mantle of leader… or pass it on to an ally through the power of the Hegemone Pass. As Persephone, make an ally your leader in your presence, and alter the power of allies or foes through four kinds of Titles: empower your allies with “TEAM” titles, oppress your foes with “FEAR” titles, become a mighty powerful leader with “LEADER” titles or torment their leader with “TARGET” titles, each one altering stats, elemental resistances and granting a special effect.  Switch leaders to change the current title in play and defeat the enemy leader to win!

Features:

• Stealth JRPG: A JRPG where stealth will alter the way you engage with battles! When spotted, enemies are more dangerous and will call for reinforcements.
  • An adorable cast of characters: Humans, gods and monsters all populate this rendition of a Greek Mythology classic featuring simple but adorable character sprite art.
  • Empower allies or oppress foes as Leader: Harness their “Title” to alter stats, grant elemental resistances and cause a special effect to happen! Four different types of titles exist: Team! Leader! Fear! Target!
  • Switch the Leader: Use the titular “Hegemone Pass” technique to change who’s the leader in battle to activate their title’s own power immediately or force the enemy to switch leaders and put themselves at a disadvantage with the “Auxo Pass”!
  • Shared Leveling: No matter if everyone's knocked out or not, exp is shared at all times, and your party is always at the same level!
  • Unlock the powers of a goddess: Find your lost powers and enable your team to cast magic from flowers or walk on lava!
  • Steal back Stolen Titles: Eliminate foes who have stolen the titles of innocent souls and retrieve them to use new titles in battle, unlocking new strategies of battle! Gain experience of that title to increase your rank and obtain permanent upgrades to that character!
  • Take on Challenge Battles: Discover hidden challenge battles with unique victory/defeat conditions that test your skills as a leader and reap in nice rewards!

Thank you for reading this devlog! It's being reworked at the moment, so I do apologize for the briefness of it for now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 03:30:33 AM by Ingenoire » Logged

Davi Vasc
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:17:38 AM »

Interesting mix of platforming and turn based combat. The leader system looks pretty cool too! Following  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Right

Davi Vasc - Video Game Composer
Twitter: https://twitter.com/VascMusic
bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:34:44 AM »

This looks pretty amazing. Art looks great, gameplay looks like it'll be interesting. Can't wait to try it.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:50:42 AM »

Wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous Kiss
I'm always a nitpicker but there is one thing that really throws off the beautiful flat-shaded artstyle, the lava.
As well as breaking the "one color per material" thing that makes this look so great, there's some serious banding going on as well.
Disregarding that one tiny thing, I'm really looking forward to seeing more from this game.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »

This looks good therefore I will comment so that I may see more of this game in the future.

Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 03:14:27 AM »

UPDATE #1
LEADER SWITCHING
(GIFs inside! Game runs at 60fps, but GIFs are only at 10fps)
(Please remember that these pictures of the game are not final, things might change later on...)

Today, I’m going to explain a bit more about Leader Switching.

First, a little reminder. You play as Persephone, trying to find and defeat Demeter. As a result, Yvonne, Ethan and Emilie are not the leader, Persephone takes that position. However, whoever is hosting Persephone inside them is considered the party’s leader.

On the field, you can switch your current leader when on land by pressing the leader switching buttons (bound to the E & R keys in the screenshot). This will make you switch your leader immediately to the character indicated in the HUD. This UI element was inspired by the Sonic Heroes team formation hud.

Switching leaders on the field allows you to do various things, but for today, I want to focus on leader switching in battle.

HEGEMONE PASS

You switch leaders by using the Hegemone Pass command. This command can be used by any party member, and when used it will prompt you to choose the character who will be the leader. When the turn starts, the Hegemone Pass will switch your current leader to the designated ally. Anyone in your team can perform a Hegemone Pass, even when they are not leader, and in fact, you can perform multiple Hegemone Pass in a single turn, as it is a simple action like all the others.

You’ll notice that during a Hegemone Pass, Persephone herself gets out of the previous leader, and enters the new leader! If you look closely, the miasma eye that Persephone has is shared when Yvonne, Ethan or Emilie host Persephone, but disappears when Persephone is outside of them. It reappears only on the new leader!

When switching leaders, a short description shows up, generally reflecting the most important aspect of the title as well as its type (Leader, Team, Target, Fear).

While it’s nice to know the title’s effect on the fly, you can also check each unit’s title at the start of each turn so you can know their effects beforehand, regardless of their leader status.

When the enemies perform their own Hegemone Pass on their teammates, you’ll notice that Demeter is assisting them!... well, from afar. Demeter is much more powerful than her daughter in her current state, and can assist Persephone’s foes without being there, while Persephone has to physically be within the leader, and will be knocked out if the current leader is knocked out, rendering Persephone vulnerable to the Underworld under Demeter’s control.

But today, I’d like to introduce a new move in leader switching techniques...

AUXO PASS

The Auxo Pass allows you to switch your opponent’s leader to the designated target! One great thing you can do is switch their leader so that a title you can take advantage of is applied, making your fight easier! Or better yet, switch their leader to one of their weaker allies, and finish them off for a quick victory!

But beware! Some foes have the capabilities to do this to your team! Additionally, some enemies will counter your Auxo Pass by performing a Hegemone Pass back to their leader of choice, so be aware!

Currently, the only leader switching move that uses 0 SP to cast is the Hegemone Pass. I am still deciding on how much SP it would cost to use an Auxo Pass (also, debugging, so 0 SP in the screenshots). In addition, I do think I’ll tweak the animation so that you can at least discern who is initiating the Auxo Pass, since right now it does look a bit similar to the Hegemone Pass when seen without context. Maybe like a eye spark on the user with a camera pan to it before the animation?

In addition, did you notice the command selection HUD? At the start of the game, you will only have access to the Hegemone Pass, to make sure players can understand the mechanics enough. When you obtain the Auxo Pass, the command name changes to Hegemone, and opening it will reveal a list of leader switching techniques.

More leader switching techniques can be found, but I’d like to keep them for another time. The only way you can get these techniques is by finding some of Persephone’s Minor Titles, upgrades that can be seen in the field of certain levels. These minor titles can grant you various upgrades, like lava walking, but also things like unlocking new Leader Switching abilities in battle.

One last thing of note! There might be certain encounters where the enemy leader is locked, and therefore, cannot be switched at all. They will always remain leader, no matter what. This is shown with a locked icon above the leader icon in battle.

FEEDBACK

This small zone will dedicate responses to the Devlog and the game. If there is any feedback you want to give, I’ll try to respond here. However if I don’t respond, generally I’ve acknowledged it, but don’t have any answer at the current time.

---

Canned Turkey : “Wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous ! Smiley
I'm always a nitpicker but there is one thing that really throws off the beautiful flat-shaded artstyle, the lava.
As well as breaking the "one color per material" thing that makes this look so great, there's some serious banding going on as well.
Disregarding that one tiny thing, I'm really looking forward to seeing more from this game.”

-> Yeah, the lava area is one of the tilesets that need a rework as a whole. I’ll try experimenting with less shades for lava. I still need to convey with that tileset the idea of a “typical” underworld depiction, since it’s very early on in the game, before introducing more “unheard” of locations.

---

Thank you for reading this small update! Next update would be up more quickly than this one, and it will focus on the method of obtaining new leader titles.

Notice: Until I figure out the legal aspect of contracts and all that, I won’t be able to hire any music composer or promo artist. I haven’t responded to some propositions as a result of this, but please note I did receive some offers, and will keep them in mind until the legal aspect is figured out. However please do send your offers, so I have a good selection for when I need it.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 08:34:17 AM »

I'll follow you!
Really digging the artstyle.

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 08:43:59 AM »

(This is a mock-up, not an actual screenshot)

Small update! It's not any real details of the game, so it's not technically update #2.

I'll be working all of August for the exams of the french school 42. During that time, I won't have much free time, and I won't be able to work on Hegemone Pass during this time! I'll still be able to look at twitter and the devlog, but no actual coding or spriting.

Before I go, I just want to leave a small teaser gif, regarding the next update. The next update's focus will be on the way you obtain new titles for your party members to equip.

See you in September!

Peace Soft
Level 0

All magic is made from corn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 12:49:31 PM »

The style and ideas are extremely solid. I love the idea that the social structure of the world has a strategic effect on gameplay through the Titles. Would love to give this a try when you have a demo or something!
Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 12:03:44 PM »

Really quick update!

The Hegemone Pass website is now online! It is still a work in progress, and the site is subject to changing. It's still a very early website. It was built thanks to Wordpress.

You can access the website at:

hegemonepass.com

We will also be posting the contents of the devlog onto the website. The website will be crucial for the press release, but it can't be used on it's own: we will need to make an announcement trailer, but that is going to take some time, and there are certain things I need to get done with the game before showcasing it in a trailer. Most notably, a bug with the positioning of special effects during the battle system, which causes it to have a slight 1 frame delay from intended.

In the future, the top part of the website will contain a short description of the game, and act as the portal for the details of the game itself (like mecanics, story and characters), while the bottom will remain as the devlog, alongside announcements of all sorts. The trailer and some screenshots would also be accessible straight from the top of the page.

I'm still rather inexperienced with website management. The server is not too powerful at the moment, but since it is not going to be seen often for now, it should not be an issue. However, right before we send press releases, I expect to upgrade the server slightly. You might never know if someone decides to write about the game and a lot of people try to visit the site, only for it to crash. Generally, getting the press to write about your game is a great thing for your game, but it will not happen too often, so it's best not to blow your opportunity...

FEEDBACK

This small zone will dedicate responses to the Devlog and the game. If there is any feedback you want to give, I’ll try to respond here. However if I don’t respond, generally I’ve acknowledged it, but don’t have any answer at the current time.

[HappinessSam](from HaxeFlixel forums): "I am so looking forward to being able to play a version of this game, the artwork is truly fabulous and I am a big jrpg fan. What platforms are you planning to release on?"

-> Currently, we plan on releasing the game for PC. Hopefully, we will be also porting it to certain consoles in the future, but the original release on PC goes first. If there are no issues, it should release on Windows, Mac and Linux easily.

Development of the game will be resuming shortly! We have another devlog post planned for next week, so please stay tuned!

Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »

UPDATE #2
STOLEN TITLES

Notice: All future devlog updates will be copied from the main website.
Original: http://hegemonepass.com/stolen-titles-obtaining-new-titles/

This week’s update will talk about how you get new titles in Hegemone Pass! It will be essential, so pay attention!

TITLES
First, a quick recap about titles.

• A title acts as an equipment for each character. The title’s powers take effect once the owner of that title becomes the leader in battle. All your allies and foes have one equipped.
  • A title can affect different targets based on its type: Team affects positively your team, Leader greatly affects positively your leader, Fear affects negatively the enemy team, and Target greatly affects negatively the enemy leader.
  • A title can improve stats, add resistances, and a beneficial special effect. It can also weaken stats, add weaknesses, and have a negative special effect. It’s based on the type of title, generally. Fear and Target titles cannot affect resistances.
  • By switching your leader, the old leader’s title is not in effect any more, and the new leader’s title comes into effect.

You can improve your battle strategy by equipping titles that go well with your other party members.

But how do you get new titles? In normal circumstances, a title is granted to you by gods, demigods, heroes, or an entire population for having done a recognizable act that lives on with the soul. Everyone has at least one title, no matter how basic it is. Yvonne, Ethan and Emilie, like most of the young and inexperienced, only have a basic title given to them based on the position in their tribe.

However, while in the Underworld, there is another way to obtain new titles for themselves…

STOLEN TITLES

With Demeter ruling the Underworld, the rules that applied under the reign of Persephone no longer apply. As a result, stealing titles has become a common occurrence in the Underworld. Persephone, having her own title stolen by Demeter, can recognize stolen titles easily. Stolen titles don’t belong to the owner. They are physically represented by a dark butterfly. Normal titles are physically represented by coloured butterflies, with the colour it bears reflecting the title’s type (Red – Team, Blue – Leader, Green – Fear, Purple – Target).

In order to get new titles, you must find an enemy carrying a stolen title, and defeat the enemy while they are the leader of their team! It is relatively simple.

Once you defeat the leader, the stolen title’s colour will be restored. And Persephone will give the title to the one best suited for it, who will be the only one who can equip it. You can equip it right away if you wish, but you can change your equipped title at any time in the main menu.

If you defeat a foe with a stolen title, but they were not the leader, don’t worry! For every enemy of the same type you defeat, the odds of encountering the enemy with the stolen title increases! With a bit of persistence, you will be able to retrieve a stolen title without to much effort!

In the future, there will be a way to track down foes who have stolen titles. I’m still working on this feature…

And that’s about it for this week! Next week’s update will be a small one. I am now hard at work on getting the game ready for an announcement trailer and a press release!

Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »

UPDATE #3
Level Design Update: Chapter 1
Original Post: http://hegemonepass.com/working-chapter-1-level-design/

Today's update is not going to be major. I have been hard at work on making the first chapter of the game, but it is nowhere near close to being done. So, today I'm going to just showcase what exactly I have done this past week. This week, I was mostly making the level design of the first chapter, but I did significant updates to the tile sets of both areas used inside of chapter 1.

First of all, we updated the background for the city levels. The lava has been simplified, and the city in the background has much more red than before, making the city reflect more it's status as a capital city of the Underworld. It's a lively place to be in. In contrast to the background, the ground and walls are blue and cold, as it's just outside of the city. It's still part of the city, but it's merely the suburbs.

Posters of Demeter are all over the walls, as well as Wanted Posters for Persephone. There are different posters in the city too!

Here's a showcase of a new entity in the game! A breakable rock! Yvonne can break these rocks using her Ribbon Axe.

During the later parts of the Chapter 1, you'll be venturing farther outside from the city. It's what most people think of when they think of the Underworld! The uninteresting areas of the Underworld look like this. It's kind of like the countryside, but a lot more sour. By the way, those spikes will deal great damage to the current leader. Luckily, you cannot be KO'ed on the field!

I haven't shown it here, but the majority of the Underworld's "countryside" has lava, and I did update the design of the lava.

And that's all for this week! I'll be working hard to make as much progress on Chapter 1 as possible. It's going to be the main area I use to create the announcement trailer.

Ingenoire
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »

It's a very small update this week, as most of the week went into doing content planning for the game's first chapter. Not much visually was done, except for updating and optimizing the title equip screen in the pause menu.

The screen highlights who gets affected by the selected title when equipped by the party member when they are the leader. The update to this screen was done because it was poorly optimized.

And a little debug screenshot, since I'm a bit short of stuff to show this week: rising water!

Each character has special tweaks when under water. When Ethan is under water, his bunny glide will lose altitude much, much slower than usual, allowing you to cross very large gaps. With rising water, there can be puzzles where the player would need to wait for the water to be sufficiently high to cross a large distance, being impossible to perform outside of the water.

There's going to be more stuff hopefully next week. There was so little stuff to show off I didn't update the blog this week! Shocked

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 12:23:32 PM »

ohhhhh cool mechanics and really tight aesthetic  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »

Ahhh I love your menus! I'm not usually a fan of pixel art menus but yours mesh so well.

CANTATA
freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 11:42:30 PM »

nice style !!

My last game:

Supporter of
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »

This has definitely caught my attention. Craving more!

Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »

I think the game looks astonishing in the scenes where you have the whiteish ghostly background, but not so much against the other backdrops... As is, I feel that you need a little more difference between the sprites and the background, desaturating the BG )as the ghostly BG does( seems to work the best so far. But maybe some special effects can work too, like noise, and so on...

All in all, I think it looks very interesting!

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »

This looks great! I had an idea for a jrpg platformer a few years ago but it morphed into my current game. Good luck, I can't wait to see more!

Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 04:23:31 PM »

Love the title. Lovin' everything else too. Coffee

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic