Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:37:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDuelCide --- A bit of Lighting
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: DuelCide --- A bit of Lighting  (Read 27454 times)
ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »

Hey guys quick update today.

My programmer colleague keeps rethinking the code, tomorrow is my birthday and I hope his present is a basket full of splatted duelcide bugs.

Also, in the mean time I modeled the rest of the NPC interaction prototype, and made a small stop in the way to work a bit more thoroughly on the character's psyches.

I've been using several narrative tools based on the framework of my progression map ( Yes I also made one but I don't want to share it because it would be a major spoiler for the game, sorry, want to keep it puzzley. )

So I started working on the Briggs Myers Type Indicator framework, basically a test that tells you what kind of character you are. So I basically jumped on roll for each of my characters, obviously starting with Pacheco the Ball Master, and Steelion the Wolf Knight, but also worked on the next two characters to come (hopefully). So I guess now on I'll go back to work on the social prototype.

Who, Me?
- Weit, wat? just text?

Yep sorry, I'm happy on how the social web is coming along now that characters are more defined and have motivations of their own, crossed interests and there's room for interesting interlaced questlines and plot twists, so as once the combat prototype is ready I can step on solid narrative ground and start turning this game into the beast I have in paper.

DuelCide A Dark ARPG about dueling, taking lives & dealing with consequences.
ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »

Hey guys, just quick update, we kept working on the project for the rest of may and june, and we are pretty happy with how the core of the game looks like, we will now be adding the logic for the rest of the systems.

We have this "Toy" prototype where you can move the character along the scenario, getting in shape step by step.

Thanks for the patience for all of you that read the devlog!

In the meantime here's a random pic of the scenario with some emisive material lighting test:

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2018, 12:27:45 AM »

Hey guys! July sum up here:
We've been working on combat interaction.

Now it is possible to fight Pacheco vs Pacheco, although we need to do a lot of animation polishing, as there are some feet possitions not matching during transitions, and there are some interactions that will benefit from intermediate animations.

Here's an example:

We've also started working on:

DEV
  • a very basic AI for CPU.
  • Ladder Climb system
  • Improving feedback on hit animations to express different impact strengths
  • Health Points system
  • Stamina system
  • Kneel and Dead states
ART
  • Concept art for the Thread of life super feature
  • 3D Level models (WIP, wanna do a specific entry on this once we nail the basic modules)
DESIGN
  • Ballroom level design
  • Ballroom Narrative

Next couple weeks my programmer colleague is on hollydays so we'll pause the stream of features for the moment.

In the meantime I want to focus on:
  • Level Design
  • Narrative
and
  • Unity Masks and Layers

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2018, 03:26:06 AM »

Day 756. We remain alive...

Weapons: Last week we've worked on a custom tool to handle multiple weaponary, in a fashion similar to Dark Souls and Bloodborne, allowing for different combat styles based on the equiped weapon and the pressed button. Mainly "triangle" (ps4) or "Y" (xbox) short and long press.

Layers play an important part here, I've been playing around with them and repurposing attack animations that serve different weapons, so hopefully next day we will have animatoins for this little plus of customization.

AI: keeps getting new channels of communication with each feature, so virtually everything that the character does will be available for the UI in the mid term.

Ladder Climb: has lost some bugs, we are also considering creating ladders with mid points to enter and exit.

Attack: animations have been tweaked to better foretell the incoming impact, and also feel more fluid.

Systems on hold until some we close stuff:
    Health Points system
    Stamina system
    Kneel and Dead states

ART:
    We keep conceptualizing the Thread of life.
    3D Levels will get some textures soon, as Jaime is catching up with substance based on some tests we made.

DESIGN
    Ballroom level design received more love, but still a lot needs improvement.
    Ballroom Narrative is a bit on hold until we integrate the conversation system hopefully (september)

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2018, 07:02:53 AM »

Hey guys,

I added a bit a of life to the weapons by including a weapon trail.

For the moment Is always active but we want to find a way to activate it only during hits.

Jaime has been investigating on substance textures so MAYBE we'll soon have something cool scenario to show! Smiley

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2018, 01:55:23 AM »

Hey guys, today I will be working on the level design for the ball room with the new asets from Jaime:

Here's a sneak peak

We want to achieve the looks we aimed for with Juanmi in the concept:

We still lack a proper Garden Gate,the lateral stairways, more detail on the lamp and balaustrades and well... textures  Corny Laugh

But hope these bits got you excited cause we are planning to have the first scenario wrapped up very soon!

haks109
Level 0

Juan Barba

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2018, 05:57:25 AM »

This game looks really interesting! And its great to see how every step in the progress of this game is so detailed!

Currently working on: Matter -> Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2018, 04:39:35 AM »

This game looks really interesting! And its great to see how every step in the progress of this game is so detailed!
Thank you haks109! I just post stuff as we do some progress..

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2018, 03:14:35 AM »

Hey, today I'll be playing around with Unity's UI.

I made a mockup of the text prompt anouncing you discovered a new zone.

At the moment it is super WIP and placeholder, but felt right to start doing these things.

Mockup

I'll keep posting stuff as I advance.

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2018, 05:48:09 AM »

i love the concepts! They are so dark and cool!
ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2018, 06:37:45 AM »

Thanks! That's exaclty the point, hope we're able to achieve that aesthetic in 3D

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2018, 06:37:57 AM »

Hey guys, it's been a while.

I am commited to learn how to code better and use unity better and I am doing some learning, that's why the devlog has been a bit unlit lately.

But we keep on doing stuff!

More specifically, we've been working on the scenario, and here's the current progress!

It's been quite a mental struggel, cause I wanted to improve it sooo many times, the models, the level design, the colours textures .... before uploading. But it's alerady been too long since uploading anything so I guess we will improve it later cause otherwise this was gonna be empty for too long!

This is it!

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2018, 06:34:49 AM »

Merry Christmas everybody!

Hope you are having a great time playing and developing in family.

I have some news, I made a build for christmas (buggy but playable)

I played it with my dad, my cousin and my other cousin's son).

Even my grandma gave the buid a shot

(although she had never ever played a videogame before, so she died a bit cluelessly).

On the brightest side, the kid had A BLAST playing the game vs me and my dad, he got the hang of it really quick and couldn't get enough.

Also, he had me understand some obvious mistakes that helped me balance attack timings better.
I am happier and more comfortable to share the demo now, but I want to fix some very obvious stuff, like a couple missing animations, and a couple input bugs.

Hope you guys are having great hollydays!

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2019, 04:51:31 AM »

Feliz Día de Reyes!  ("Happy Three Wise men day" ?)

Wizard   Wizard   Wizard
   Tiger    Tiger     Tiger

I know many of you won't have this traddition but there's a present here for you anyway in the shape of a new post!

As my programmer friend, who was helping me, is going to be undefinetly busy, Noir I'll be adopting back the programmer role again. Coffee

(This means, less architecture, but bugfixing and more features, yay!)
   Beer!

The first day I started hunting down a bug we have with the input, but it's still hidden somewhere.
So I decided starting by something easier and I made the first iteration of the Health Bar comeback, enjoy!

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2019, 02:28:44 AM »

Hey guys, I polished the health bar to improve visual feedback:

It now stops for a bit to showcase the recently inflicted damage and decreases after a short time:

I think it feels awesome, what do you think?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:34:15 AM by ManuScythe » Logged

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2019, 04:55:36 AM »

Hey guys! So I refactored the health bar code so it can be used by both players.

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »

Today I solved a bug that was preventing the Backstab move from inflicting damage, now it HELLA does.

BACKSTAB

Have a nice weekend!

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2019, 03:19:43 AM »

Hey guys, how you doing?

We are starting to prepare the 3D pipeline to create the second character.

Yep, the guy in the plate armor! I hope he will serve as counterpart of the agile Pacheco with his heavy attacks and see how the variety adds to the fun.

For this matter, we've made a "naked" version of Pacheco.

This way we can now start building new pieces of armor on top, and only make them visible when we equip them.

About faces, I will save on that effort for now, as only pacheco is going to show his face, but we will be following a similar line with face features such as facial hair.

In the meantime, I will be working on keeping up with the code for the stamina system, fixing it and enabling it.

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2019, 02:09:51 AM »

Hey guys

I've been working on the stamina system. I managed to resurrect it, and although it is not perfect, it works just fine for the moment.

There are some things I want to do, like affect the way running out of stammina affects the player.

In the GIF I am simulating how you can't keep running when you're out of stamina, so next thing I wanna do it for real.

ManuScythe
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2019, 05:38:33 AM »

Hey guys, I am currently working on properly activating weapon trails during hits.

I'm still solving a couple bugs but looks awesome so far!

PD: I've been told that the GIF's are too dark so untill we review the lighting I will pump them up a bit on brightness.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic