Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1352541 Posts in 62401 Topics- by 54120 Members - Latest Member: JamesLewisWhite

December 10, 2018, 09:44:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTempest Citadel
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tempest Citadel  (Read 990 times)
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2016, 04:17:24 AM »

UPDATE
Happy to say that Tempest Citadel is now 100% Finished and ready for release on April 17th
Tempest Citadel on Steam

Older posts...

I've been working on a story rich Sci-Fi strategy game for a while, Now in Beta.

Here are some screens and videos from my current build:

New Trailer:

First Cutscene:

http://aartformgames.tumblr.com/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:54:42 PM by iggie » Logged

Omnus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 04:53:22 AM »

Looks really cool - the individual units look unique and well crafted.  Can you tell us about you and your team?

alexyoder.net :::: Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Pulsar: Lost Colony, and Cogmind.
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 05:27:37 AM »

The team is myself, and I've outsourced a few artists and sound guys, and a couple of story writers. The majority of the art is made myself, but the portraits, posters and GUI had the professional treatment.

I grew up making games in the 80s on Amiga, (a big inspiration for this game was Deuteros of that era). Then I worked in graphics for Lionhead (In their satellite studio Intrepid). Back then I worked on the first XBox hardware making fire and water effects.

After that I struck out independantly - not on a game, but on easy 3D modelling software Curvy 3D making sketch based models.

Then back into the industry, I worked on some early wave 3D mobiles games (NGage days) like Colin McRae Rally 2005, and a Final Fantasy mobile spinoff. Spending time crunching huge PS and PS2 games into teeny tiny mobile 3D. Last one I worked on was a Metal Gear mobile game.

Around that time I worked on my first big indie game "Light of Altair", followed by "Spice Road" both 3D strategy games, Spice Road being an economics sim with light warfare. And I've interspersed that with a bunch of little Flash games like Slice Fortress Defense 2

I've found my small Flash games can have the most intense skill and strategy pressure on the player, so I'm trying to carry some of that over to a larger game, while having fun with the graphics too.

Jay Tholen
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 06:28:05 AM »

I'm enjoying the style you have going on with the interface and graphics. Very evocative of late nineties/early 2000s PC games like TA, Starcraft, etc. (I keep wondering what aesthetic is going to come and dethrone the whole VHS/vaporwave thingy going on now and I've gotta think it's some semblance of this and maybe The Matrix.)

Also, the scavenging mechanic looks brilliant. How does that work exactly?

Dropsy!

Hypnospace Outlaw - You're a cop/moderator of the future-internet, which looks suspiciously like Geocities. Also you have a sweet car.
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »

Scavenging was a big part of my plans for this game, what you scavenge and how to maximise your base and army based on production from your salvage. It's meant to be a big min-max optimisation game where you can balance immediate gains from munitions against slow-burn investments in R&D and crew morale...

...anyhow - the Scavenging screenshot shown occurs after your squad has captured a bunker on the planet surface. The actual image shown is a fully revealed base shown from the side, with a maze of caverns, tunnels, and built up rooms underground to protect them from the storms. In normal play you enter from the top and uncover rooms as you explore. You have limited time and resources to explore - and come up against obstacles such as cyber-locks and caveins.

The mini-game strategy here comes down to decisions like - do I spend 10 Scav Points carefully picking this lock, or spend one point and a bunch of explosives on clearing the way - at the risk of major cave-ins and damage to the loot in nearby rooms.

Once you reveal a new room you can see if it is a lab, store, torture chamber - whatever - and then you can spend a few more Scav Points to thoroughly search the room and send all the goodies up to load on your drop ship to take back to the Citadel.

It's all fast paced, so a few clicks determine your search of the bunker and you're out of there. But a bit more tactical than a simple loot drop. Inspired a bit by the Deus Ex HR hacking minigame.

At a higher level your success in Scavenging comes down to picking good crew from cryo-sleep, training and equiping them and adding them to your squad. There is a big bonus to having some dedicated scavs and medics on your squad in addition to the soldiers, eg: if you can beat the mission with a mixed team you will get better results from the scav mini-game and fewer permanent wounds on your crewmembers.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:57:53 AM by iggie » Logged

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:17:01 AM »

Hi, Tempest Citadel is ready to Beta, if you are interested please join the Steam Group here:
Tempest Citadel Beta

Here are some new screens with some updates on gameplay... (22 screenshots).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:23:16 AM by iggie » Logged

Penguinoccio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »

This looks sweet
iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 06:47:16 AM »

The Beta is going well, with 11 new builds adding features, bug stomps and polish.

There is still space on the Beta on Steam just join the Group here Smiley
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TempestCitadel-Beta

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »

Happy to say that Tempest Citadel is now 100% Finished and ready for release in April.
Tempest Citadel on Steam

It has been a pleasure to work with so many gifted artists, musicians, actors and writers on this project - their input really lifted my spirits and provided inspiration in the several years this game has been in dev.

And in more recent months it's been great getting input from experienced QA and Beta testers to polish the game up and make it easy to learn.

While I'm ready to leap into the next project, I've blocked out some time for the 1.01 patch!

katastrophic88
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 08:37:14 PM »

This looks awesome! I wish you much success when you launch in a few weeks!
StoneTide
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 09:29:12 PM »

Looks interesting!

iggie
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »

Release Date is set to April 17th!

Tempest Citadel on Steam

I've sent out some keys on Keymailer and it's had some great feedback from Twitch and Youtube. Lots of ideas for polish that were missed despite a busy Beta and QA run.

I've been patching in a few extras, like ability to save entire Squad Loadouts for use later, and voice acting in the battles... but otherwise it seems very stable with days of playtime now on the clock.

As always I will endeavour to make a "quicker game" next time - this one has run to 3 years off and on. The most I can hope for is it brings in enough money to pay for the next game Grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic