Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 10:44:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlip - exploration platformer set inside a computer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Blip - exploration platformer set inside a computer  (Read 12133 times)
FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:08:19 AM »

Blip: A Binary Journey

Blip is a piece of software whose goal is to remove pieces of damaged and malicious software ruining what used to be an orderly computer system. However, before tackling the main adversary located within the system's core, Blip needs to take on lesser pieces of malware throughout the computer. The player can choose to explore various parts of the machine (RAM, peripherals, etc., presented as separate environments) in detail, or use shortcuts (and skill) and skip most of the content. The basic gameplay should revolve around navigating the world, defeating the minor enemies and unlocking access to components further away. At the end of every major area the player will have to confront a boss.

Features:
  • Multiple explorable environments
  • Puzzle and platforming elements
  • Various enemy types
  • Varied boss fights

The project is quite big in scope and will probably take a while to complete, but it's moving along quite nicely.

Some gameplay screen captures:

And here are some prototype graphics:
The style will be kept simple and monochromatic.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 12:49:25 PM by FoldedPixels » Logged

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 03:53:49 AM »

1. Added an enemy which automatically avoids falls.

2. Added a lift beam.

bdsowers
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 09:42:12 AM »

I'm always a little jealous of people who can make good 2-color art. It seems so easy on the surface, but every time I try it ends up looking... just as bad as all the other art I make. So good job. Wink Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »

Thanks. I can say from experience that I had to make a lot of pixel (and non-pixel) art that didn't look right to me before I started outputting anything agreeable.

As for updates, I've implemented spikes and explosion effects for the main character.

marcelofg55
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:21:32 PM »

I like the idea of the game, sounds original, I'm sure the GPU stage will be quite fun Smiley
What engine are you using to develop it?

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 06:59:04 PM »

Looks really charming so far.  I dig the digitizing effect upon death.  That's a nice touch and fits perfectly.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Shirsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »

I like this guy who stand on the hill, on screenshot in first post, hope main character will get same quality/resolution Evil

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't started working on the designs for the GPU stage, but I do plan on having the different computer parts look like different environments.
Thus far, I have been working on the basic level-building elements. I already have a save-state system in place (needs more work though). Pick-ups and cutscenes should be working soon as well.
As an addition to the puzzle part, I have included holoplatforms that let you safely walk above obstacles. They can be customized to be activated remotely.

Once I have the fundamental mechanics like these taken care of, I will start designing more, including new environments and enemies.

What engine are you using to develop it?
Godot.

I like this guy who stand on the hill, on screenshot in first post, hope main character will get same quality/resolution
I will tweak Blip's animations and sprite sheets a bit, but I plan on him looking unassuming so that whatever the player achieves feels more grand.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 11:28:23 AM »

Added an item pickup system. I think I can combine this with an ability-tracking system without any major problems.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »

I got the text display and cutscene system working. The most difficult part was making the camera behave - turns out I spent a lot of time re-inventing existing functionality.

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 11:47:08 PM »

nice work !

My last game:

Supporter of
FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »

Added transition effects when switching levels (the back-end mechanics work too).

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 10:04:10 AM »

I thought I would add a new enemy type that lunges at the player. So far, I made the animation.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »

I added a parallax background to make the stages more interesting. (Click on the image to see a gif, 2.1 MB)

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 10:50:26 AM »

I'm currently working on more graphics assets - first, more NPC sprites.

I got some private messages - thank you for the interest. I will reply soon.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 10:39:13 AM »

Another NPC that will be in the game:

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2016, 04:28:23 PM »

Really like the color palette and overall look. I feel like I might like to see a little more stylizing on the MC, but the NPCs you posted look cool.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »

Thanks. I don't think I want Blip's design to change much, but I will add some shading so that the sprite looks more polished, like the NPCs.

By the way, here's the next one:

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »

Part 4 of NPC design:

I have started working on the second level. I have a general idea of the world's layout, but I will see what works the best in terms of removing too much tedious walking.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2016, 11:17:23 AM »

It looks like I'm done with animating all four of the new NPCs. (might tweak some frames a bit)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic