Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:44:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlip - exploration platformer set inside a computer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Blip - exploration platformer set inside a computer  (Read 12129 times)
FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2017, 12:14:51 PM »

I managed to almost complete the boss fight - it will still require testing and tweaking, but the most important elements appear to be there. Decided I would go back to working on the level itself. Many elements needed adjusting, but no major changes thus far.
Additionally, I managed to squash a bug that had to deal with teleports and input.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »

Finally, the boss fight and the level appear to both be functional, so I will be moving on to the third environment. Here's a design for the next tileset:

Might add more variations later on.

foofter
Level 4

MAKE THAT GARDEN GROW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »

Cute and nice colors. I always thought inside a computer would make a nice setting, too! Smiley

@_monstergarden (game) and @williamzwood (me)
See Monster Garden progress here: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56012.0
joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »

There is something so comforting about monochrome pixel art
RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »

There is something so comforting about monochrome pixel art
I disagree. I think it can become repetitive and bland quickly. But if you add a bit of color variation similar to how "Machinarium" succeeded at it, then all of a sudden your monochromatic game becomes more interesting.

joey4track
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2017, 12:41:05 PM »

I disagree. I think it can become repetitive and bland quickly. But if you add a bit of color variation similar to how "Machinarium" succeeded at it, then all of a sudden your monochromatic game becomes more interesting. [/size]

Or it could be just that you haven't grown up playing them   Wink
RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »

I disagree. I think it can become repetitive and bland quickly. But if you add a bit of color variation similar to how "Machinarium" succeeded at it, then all of a sudden your monochromatic game becomes more interesting. [/size]

Or it could be just that you haven't grown up playing them   Wink
Definitely grew up playing these type of games. Doesn't mean all of them holds up today, resulting in having to make improvements Smiley
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:27:06 PM by RizeoftheSummonds » Logged

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2017, 12:38:19 PM »

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Trying to prototype animated tiles for backgrounds.

There might be some problems with the animations being too distracting - possibly, using a majority of slowly-animated/static tiles and these moving ones for accents might solve this.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2017, 12:23:13 PM »

I'm working on adding a type of moving platform that modifies the level.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »

Riding on the moving platforms is finally working as expected.

Retrofitting the existing code to work with vertical platform movement was way more difficult than expected.

PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2017, 10:48:05 PM »

This is looking really good! I personally like the monochromatic color scheme. I think it can offer a stylistic choice that can make the player feel a certain way while playing. There are tons of games out there with many different types of palettes so I don't think there is a right or wrong way in this regard. It may even make it stand out more.

I was looking at your laser beam disappearing platform gif and thought that maybe it could be communicated better. The character seems to be standing on the outer shell and when the center gets taken away they fall through. I wouldn't have read it that way at first if I were playing so maybe it would be better to make it more obvious that the player is going to fall through once that laser reaches them.

Twitter: @PsycheMac
FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »

Hello, thank you for the feedback and sorry for the late reply. I'm not sure which beam you meant - there's a section before the tile-erasing beam that makes it obvious you fall through the tiles without the "outer shell", so I don't think this should be too hard to figure out.

I've been working on more sprites, as well as adding details and functionality to the new level. One of the new additions is bullets that shatter on impact:

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2017, 12:18:36 PM »

Did more work on the new level. Added more obstacles, as well as a longer ride.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2017, 12:25:02 PM »

Adding more paths and obstacles to the latest level. I think that's what usually takes the most time when it comes to non-boss levels.

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2017, 02:09:45 PM »

The first level's basic functionality is wrapped up. (Part of it was just back-end tweaking.)

After that was done:
1. Started working on the next level's layout.
2. Improved moving platform code.

Here's some of the new layout:

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »

I have mostly finished laying out the second level, and have been adding various bits to the game. Worked on jumping mechanics and more back-end stuff, like keeping track of initial states of various objects inside a given level to allow for partial resetting.

Here's a new beam obstacle:

FoldedPixels
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »

The level's functionality is almost finished. Reworking the code to get it compatible with the moving platforms was a bit challenging, but the glitches seem to be fixed now.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic