Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:03:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral3D sidescrollers with Z depth movement?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 3D sidescrollers with Z depth movement?  (Read 1546 times)
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:07 AM »

I've been playing Inside. It's awesome. In some places the background has so much depth that it almost feels like you could walk in the z axis, which is kind of cool. This got me thinking, what if you could move in the z depth freely, while keeping the game a sidescrolling platformer? I mean sort of in the way of old sidescrolling beat em ups like TMNT or whatever, but with actual 3D. Could be cool, has this been done a lot? Can't think of any non orthographic 3D games that does that.

So obviously you would have to limit how far the player can move in depth and make sure you mostly use right, left and jump. But it would be pretty sweet, up and down on the D pad / stick isn't really used that much anyway and could be used for moving in depth..

Twitter: @pbergmar
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 11:03:40 AM »

All i can think of is Dragon Saga as it combines sidescrolling platforming elements and sidescrolling beat-em up mechanism.
Seems like there isn't a lot of games doing that, imo because if you're going to add depth (z axis), it would be limited to stick to a side view.

i'd like to add Battletoads but it isn't 3d.
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:09:46 AM »

Yeah I know, why not make it a full 3D game like Mario 64 or a first person.. But still, it could be interesting to keep the kind of 2D movement with the possibility to move freely in depth, in a way inspired by say battletoads. But I was thinking the game would be more of a platformer.. I know I'm not making too much sense, this is just a little research of an idea that might not work Smiley

Edit: Oh and by the way, Dragon Saga is pretty much what I was talking about thanks for the tip!. Except it might be cool to have something like that, but with slightly more depth and also platforms and maybe puzzles where you need to use things in the depth etc. It might not work at all but if it feels clear and the camera angle is right, it might feel pretty sweet...

By the way I just realized some levels of Super Mario 3D Land play just like this, and it works very well in that game. It has a very short depth in those places though, I wonder how far one could push it...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 11:18:01 AM by PetterBergmar » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »

thread title made me remember bug, which sucked shit
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 12:25:38 AM »

I wonder how far one could push it...
You could push it all the way to open world, but with a fixed camera angle - I just think that would feel more annoying and locked than anything else tho. But it would be different and somewhat original.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 02:50:07 AM »

The main reason I haven't played Inside is because 3D sidescrollers with a lot of background depth but player movement arbitrarily limited to 2 dimensions bother the hell out of me.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 02:59:09 AM »

check clickteam p3d tool: (the hedgehog part) (0:16)

played around with it, and it just sucks

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 03:02:29 AM »

Z axis movement was one of the reasons I hated little big planet. i died so many fucking times in that game because its sometimes impossible to tell which Z level you're on.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 03:03:26 AM »

post made me think of bugs, some of which eat shit
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

Crash bandicam sometimes kinda

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »

Z axis movement was one of the reasons I hated little big planet. i died so many fucking times in that game because its sometimes impossible to tell which Z level you're on.
same. also, until now i thought i was the only one who disliked that game. (charming presentation, but it's a chore to play)

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 01:25:58 PM »

Super Mario 3D Land / World and a lot of the Lego games have quite a few predominantly side-scrolling levels.
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 04:35:37 AM »

Thanks for your input guys. I have a pretty specific idea of something I want to try, it's kinda hard to explain so I'll try to make a prototype. I would only be happy with it if I could remove the annoyances and feeling od not having full control.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic