Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:51:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeNeed help from an artist
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help from an artist  (Read 1400 times)
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »

Hello Artists,

I could use your expertise on something : I have an render in black & white, and I'm using this for a 2d sideview platformer game. The problem is that I don't know how to modify it in such a manner that it is obvious for the player which parts from the platform are walkable on and which not.

Would you happen to have any advice on what I can do to improve this ?

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »

I'm no wizard of art but desaturating and darkening "background elements" makes interactable stuff pop out more.

Quick and dirty:
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:20:20 AM »

As Capntastic already said, you need a clear distinction between interactable elements and non-interactable background/foreground elements. You can do that in a variety of ways; I'll mention a couple that come to mind:

• Difference between brightness/darkness
    Example: Rayman Origins/Legends, Child of Light, Limbo, Machinarium, Ori and the blind forest, Super Meat Boy — background is bright, middleground is normal, foreground is dark; Botanicula — middleground is bright, background is dark

• Difference between saturation
    Example: Child of Light, Braid, Machinarium, Super Meat Boy — background has more desaturated colors, middleground has more saturated colors; Botanicula — middleground is white or near white while the bg has more saturation

• Difference between blurry and non-blurry elements
    Example: Rayman Origins/Legends, Child of Light — foreground is blurry; Botanicula — both foreground and background are sometimes blurred; Limbo — bg is blurred

• Difference in lineart
    Example: Super Mario World — every element you can interact with has a black outline, everything in the background is lineless; Scribblenauts — middleground has black lineart, bg elements have a colored, brighter outline

Try one or two of these and then see what works best for your game.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 07:54:01 AM »

It is also inportant to develop a coherent  scheme and stick to it with iron discipline so the player knows what is useable without having to think
sonder
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »

Texture, shadows, and color can also be used to differentiate what's solid and what's not.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:46:39 PM »

They have to be visually distinct. In whatever way you choose, as long as you teach the player. For example it could be more/less saturation, cold/hot colors, dark/light value. These are the simplest ways to create distinction but you could create the sprites in particular - contextual - ways. If the setting is a forest, you could have grass on walkable ground, for example.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 12:24:03 AM »

You should use gdood texture and saturation to show the highlights
Dinomaniak
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 05:56:23 PM »

Thanks to everyone for lending a hand Smiley .

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic