Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:39:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe Idea Pool
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: The Idea Pool  (Read 44655 times)
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2008, 10:25:18 PM »

Yeah, its making me barfy.

Yeah, hence 'for dummies'.  :D
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2008, 10:26:58 PM »

Do I presume the two shapes on the left are both a next shape queue?

No, that's your score. I should warn people that I have a working version of this.  :D
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »

I want to become one with it.

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2008, 05:14:51 AM »

You think that's bad? http://news.filefront.com/magic-eye-tetris-prepare-to-go-blind/
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:46 AM »

That's pretty great, but it's not as hostile as my design, because you can decide at any moment whether or not to see the optical effect. I was trying to come up with the most punishing design.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2008, 10:43:54 AM »

The only reason I found that difficult to play was the slugglish controls. I found I was pressing the flip button sometimes with absolutely no response.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2008, 11:40:16 AM »

Inspired by the crazy Asshole Mario Explains Quantum Physics vid Derek posted:

Your character could see into a number of possible futures...sort of like clairvoyance.

You also would have the (limited, of course) ability to influence the future. For example, if an enemy had a gun pointed at your head, and there were two outcomes (the bullet hits you or the bullet misses), you could "force" the second one to happen. You could only use this power every so often, though - screwing with casualty takes a lot out of you.

This game would probably be a programming nightmare, though. I don't know much about that kind of stuff.
Dorschman
Level 0

more man than machine

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2008, 12:47:35 PM »

Which brings me to my idea: A game that is designed exclusively for co-op. It would be kind of like Ikaruga, with polarities and all, except instead of being able to switch between polarites, you're always positive, and your friend is always negative (or vice-versa). You would have to rely on each other to fight enemies.

Not sure what kind of game it would be, but I'm partial to run-and-gun platformers, i.e. Gunstar Heroes. I guess it could be a shump too, but I'm not a huge fan of those.

Looks like you're late to the party.

I' ve got an idea for a nonrythmical musical shmup :Doppler Shift
Its sound would be based on the Doppler Effect.

So, basically, you've got all sorts of enemies with different flying patterns chasing after you (Hello, Geometry Wars), each having its individual sound. The volume depends on their distance to you, the pitch depends on an extreme version of the doppler effect, blending into the ambient sountrack.

Unfortunately, i can't code, so I made this quick demo of what it could sound like.

I think this idea has some potential, please give your feedback on that.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2008, 05:57:04 PM »

I touched upon this idea earlier: A turn-based isometric stealth game. I don't think it's been done before, mostly because it's hard to impliment stealth into a turn-based framework.

Why? Because most turn-based games have an infinite line of sight: you can see everything and so can your enemies. Or, barring that, you can see everything in a certain radius around your character, i.e. Nethack. This wouldn't work very well either for a stealth game, because why would you be able to see things that are behind your character? So, directional facing would be a must.

-------------------------------------------

Also, I had a couple ideas for interesting gameplay mechanics:

First: Hearing. No stealth game would be complete without some represtation of sound. In real-time games this is easy, but in a turn-based game hearing would have to be abstracted a bit. Things that you hear but not see would be represented as indistinct shapes on the map. (perhaps colored red to distingusish them from real objects) The size of the shape would give you an idea of what the object is, but there's no way to know for sure until you see it. For example, the click of a crossbow behind you would appear as a small object, but someone landing from a fall would be much louder, and thus larger. Also, hearing would probably be a stat you could train, just like strength, dexterity, etc.

-----------------------------------

Second: States, i.e. running, walking, sneaking. You could change your current state from a menu, and this would affect your stats. For example, if you're in the sneaking state, your character makes less noise from moving, but you move slower. Running would speed you up but make your footsteps louder. Close Combat stance would make you more effective when defending yourself, but worse at noticing things around you. You automatically enter Close Combat stance if you're attacked by an enemy you're aware of, but it you're taken by surprise, you don't get the bonus. Also, Aiming stance would be similar, but for ranged weapons, not close combat.

------------------------------------

Man that was a lot of text. most of this came from thinking in the shower, where all my good ideas come from. :D
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »

Dude, you totally read my mind  Shocked Well, part of it. My new puzzle game has some stealth puzzles, but it's a lot less detailed than that - more like a turn based version of commandos really.

I really like the "hearing" thing - the idea of having indistinct shapes for baddies that you can hear but can't see could work really well.

Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »

Thanks!

Also, I forgot to mention: some sort of lighting system like IVAN's would be a must. Unlike in IVAN, though, it would actually affect your character's accuracy.

EDIT: hmm, this message makes no sense now that it's at the top of the page.
GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2008, 10:09:29 PM »

The game Silent Storm actually has a lot of those features (sneaking, line of sight, hearing, stances, etc.)  Running makes more sound than walking, walking more sound than sneaking, as well.

Also the physics and destructible environments means there's some advantages to a guns-ho approach as well.  The game is flawed but interesting.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »

Ooh, sounds pretty cool. I'll have to try it out sometime.

I was thinking of more of a medieval setting for this game though, with a greater focus on melee weapons.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:45 PM »

Silent Storm has a great combat system, but I can't say I liked it. The campaign was pretty boring.
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »

Okay, yeah, I'm sure you guys are sick of my ideas by now, but here's one I've had for a while:

A side-scrolling dogfight game (i.e. Sopwith and its many remakes) ,with elements of Tribes-like tactical team gameplay and massive-ass maps, and a bit of Star Control 2 inspiration for good measure. (Oh yeah, and I guess it would have a sci-fi setting)

---------------------------------------

I'm not sure how many different craft would be in the game (probably around 30), but they would be divided into three types:

Jets, which control something like a traditional Sopwith-style plane. Hard to control, but easily the fastest of the three types. They lack the fine manuvering of Hovers though, which makes them a poor choice on close-quarters maps.

Hovers, such as helicopters, blimps, and more exotic hovercraft-style planes. These are much easier to control, but also slower and lightly armored.

Rockets. The best example I can think of for Rocket-type control is the rockets from Cortex Command, except less top-heavy. Rockets have both the speed of Jets and the preciseness of Hovers, but they're contantly being pulled down by gravity when you're not firing the thrusters, which makes them tricky to master.

Each ship has a primary and secondary weapon, plus you can pick up one-time-use items on the battlefield. There's no ammo for your regular weapons, but they use up energy. (In case you haven't noticed, all my good ideas come from SC2 Tongue) Energy recharges over time, and the rate at which it recharges varies from ship to ship. Some ships also have more armor then others.

In normal Deathmatch mode, you assemble a fleet of ships before the match, SC2-style. Each ship has a given point value, so you can go with a large swarm of weak ships, or a few powerhouse ships if you want to. You would have about a minute before the match to choose your fleet, or you could load a pre-made one to save time. The maximum number of points could be adjusted, like every other game setting.

The real meat of the game is in Objective mode, where two large (up to 16 players each) teams compete to capture and defend airstrips (which act like bases and spawn points) and complete other objectives. I've always liked Threadspace: Hyperbol for gameplay like this, because it lets you freely define objectives, instead of just generic "capture the flag" or "hold this area for X seconds". So I'm shooting for something like that.

Instead of making a fleet beforehand, though, choosing your ships would work a bit differently. Before the match, you choose 1 ship from each tier. There are five tiers, ranging from weak scout ships (first tier) to expensive juggernauts (fifth tier). These are the ships you can purchase once the match starts.

You start the match with a small number of credits to buy ships with, but you'll slowly earn more automatically if you run out (so you're never truely out of the game). You can also earn more credits by getting kills or assisting your teammates.

But if credits were just for buying ships, it would be a boring game. You can also use your credits to purchase base upgrades, like turrets, forcefields, or improved radar. These upgrades will appear at any airstrip you capture. However, they're really expensive, so you won't be able to purchase them on your own. Your whole team will have to chip in a little bit to raise enough credits, which adds to the sense of teamwork.
----------------------------------------

*whew* What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 01:46:56 PM by Stij » Logged
zzzdude
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2008, 05:42:54 AM »

here's another one.

CONFLICT: FIREARM

wherein you play as Jack Colt, a member of the special G.U.N squad.
your mission: shoot some bullets. out of your gun!
the human race depends on it.

I'm sold on this CONFLICT: FIREARM game.

I was intrigued at first by the idea of shooting bullets, but the fact that said bullets are shot out of a gun is mind-blowing!
yeah. one mission's goal is to blow a mind.
the president's mind.
with your gun.
G.U.N's gun.
Are you on a segway?
you are a segway.

This idea pool is actually useful, as I am using this idea and concept in the current game I am creating.
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2008, 05:49:56 AM »

This idea pool is actually useful, as I am using this idea and concept in the current game I am creating.

Um... it's actually kinda been done already.  Just an fyi. 
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=468.0

tweet tweet @j_younger
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2008, 08:32:09 AM »

Conservative radio bigot: the interactive experience!

You are an overweight balding angry white old man!
Spout off baseless facts when talking to those who agree with you!
Agrue and accuse those who don't!
Take callers!
Cut callers' mics when they don't say things you like!
Plug your book at every opportunity before it becomes crass, even after!
Have smarter more well informed guests, ask them leading and confusing questions then berate them when they have a difficult time answering!
Say "Oh boy." whenever possible!
Make extra money by doing all the commercials in between show segments!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2008, 11:03:04 AM »

Conservative radio bigot: the interactive experience!

You are an overweight balding angry white old man!
Spout off baseless facts when talking to those who agree with you!
Agrue and accuse those who don't!
Take callers!
Cut callers' mics when they don't say things you like!
Plug your book at every opportunity before it becomes crass, even after!
Have smarter more well informed guests, ask them leading and confusing questions then berate them when they have a difficult time answering!
Say "Oh boy." whenever possible!
Make extra money by doing all the commercials in between show segments!

Don't forget "Make fun of people with debilitating diseases!"

tweet tweet @j_younger
DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »

Well I have many ideas so I probably can’t list them all… Okay here we go *BIG BREATH*!

gRUNts: This game qould be a (graphic) rogue-like/scrolling horizontal shmup where you (the player) are in control of a bunch of different soldiers. The basic premise would be commands in the vein of an RTS only text based, and the player can set shortcuts by mouse and keyboard. I also think it would be interesting if you could play in a more action oriented mode where it is like a normal shoot ‘em up but you have troop formations. The best play mode would be a co-op game where it would be one player on the keyboard playing action and the other on the mouse issuing commands, plus if it was online (or on a console) the could be many human players being each unit, I think seven would do, with the last member issuing commands. Oh, and unlike most horizontal shooters the game would be overhead, and maybe switch from vertical and horizontal.

The units would include, but are not limited to especially when considering customization, and subtypes (e.g. Fighter Jets also includes Stealth Bombers.)

Infantry- these would die easy and move slow, and also loose attack power as they loose health. They could merge with other infantry groups to become stronger.

Tanks- these buddies would be strong and slow. The could take lotsa heat from the enemies, but their speed would force the other units to go slower as to avoid fire. Their missiles can hit allied troops. Above all this they have the ability to shoot diagonally.

Fighter Jets- These dudes will die in just one hit, but their speed and agility will keep this from happening too often. They can barrel roll to avoid danger and are the best units against other planes. They are special in the sense that when they are shot down they can land on enemies in a final burst of control and explode on them. They cannot hit infantry, and only hit artillery and battleships with missiles. The only way to kill tanks would be killing yourself.

Battleships- These are very limited but extremely powerful, as they can only exist on water. This means that while you can only have them on fields with water and they may be there at certain parts of the stage, they are very useful tools of destruction. They have lock-on abilities and can carry/pick up reinforcements/soldiers.

Artillery- This unit can be place at certain parts of the stage and fire at enemies on that screen. That’s all there is to it, although you need your infantry to sacrifice themselves and pilot it… and never get out (!).

Helicopters- These are the tanks of the sky, as the can take a bit more than the fighter jets and that they can shoot diagonally. They have bombs instead of missiles, and can pick up infantry but are completely still and vulnerable in the time being.

Godzilla- The ultimate lizard, this bad boy walks through any land units with ease and swats the air units with it’s claws. Fire is just for fun.

Next idea!

This next one is a particular favourite of mine, not only for being extremely controversial, but also because it reminds me of a better Pokémon. This one would be a Slave Trade Simulator. In this game you are a plantation owner and you must take care of your slaves, so you have many choices ahead of you. Do you beat them? Or feed them?

Allowing your slaves to sing folk songs would raise their moral, but are they conveying a secret message? Who knows! The game would be like a Koei simulation game, only with more visuals and on a more personal level. The game would also include Pokémon style trading, and naming. I believe that everyone has their rights, thus the way you are supposed to play would be helping the slaves and going against the racism, although it is up to the player.

I really think a good one would be a Jtactic RPG where you play as firefighters. You would have to face little things like house fires to huge cruiseship fires, or even forest fighters. This game would be a very Pro-Eco game, and I think that’s what’s so good ‘bout it. There are some very good games that focus on the beauty of nature but those are few and far between. In it water and oxygen would be of the utmost importance, so if you are in a helicopter you would have to dip into a lake to fill back up, and so on. Also the game would use a “scaling battle effect” where the player can send units into smaller sections of the map and play there (e.g. a player is against a whole city of fires, and go into a building. Before it would of shown one icon to represent 10 firemen, but once you go in it would show each of them personally.).

A little idea I have had for a while would be an RPG with like 4 second battles. You see the game wouldn’t opt for another screen, and would be a shmup. Because you are always on the move you would run into an enemy and have a few options, and then SLICE THOSE BIATCHES! Very fast paced.

I have tons more so I’ll probably be posting back here later.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:50:32 PM by DestronPrime » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic