Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:50:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCommunity-support is not the main factor
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Community-support is not the main factor  (Read 3186 times)
mirosurabu
« on: April 11, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »

In the past, I believed that what can keep my motivation to finish long-term projects is community support and knowing that what I am working on is going to be successful.

But, today, when I have support from small-sized community and know that what I've been working on for two years is not going to fail in any way, my motivation to finish the project is so much lower than in the past.

Simply, I am burnt out, I am not as interested in that game as I was before, and no matter support and even money I can get I don't see it finished any soon.

So, how money-first indies deal with this kind of issues? I have no idea.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 01:15:26 PM »

Community support was good for me until I get about 700 reviews for a game that either say EPIC WIN, EPIC FAIL or IMA FIRIN MA LAZER.
That community don't know shit.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »

A team helps -- are you working alone? I find the games I work on with others get done, the games I work on alone don't.

mirosurabu
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 02:31:09 PM »

Yes, I am working alone on BOM. And I agree with you regarding teamwork - I've been working in team previously and it's much easier to motivate yourself regardless of whether the thing you are working on is something you'd choose to do for yourself/alone or not.

(though, we didn't get that finished - but we did a lot of work)
Captain_404
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:48:25 PM »

I wouldn't say I'm a money-fistfirst indie, but whatever...

Perhaps this is nothing short of scandal, but why not just abandon the project?

I was in a similar situation a while back, I'd been working on the project for about a year and a half and it had become simply tedious to work on. I dropped the project entirely and decided to make... well, just whatever I felt like. As a result, I'm in a markedly better place now both emotionally and creatively.
Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »

usually, community support means that you end up making your games because other people want you to make them, not because you want to make them, and that's usually bad. make the games you want to make, no matter what.

this is also why i've never really shown you guys the stuff i'm working on.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:57:18 PM »

You can still show people what you're working on without turning into a crowd pleaser. It's a pretty big jump.

I show people what I'm working on all the time, it's crucial.
raiten
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »

Community support was good for me until I get about 700 reviews for a game that either say EPIC WIN, EPIC FAIL or IMA FIRIN MA LAZER.
That community don't know shit.

Then again, the game was called Robot Dinosaurs That Shoot Beams When They Roar™, a one level long shmup with one kind of weapon, about three types of enemies and one super-simplistic boss. You should be happy you got 700 reviews for it, even if they were moronic.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 07:12:14 PM »

I think community support isn't necessarily praise or saying the game is good, but rather it's encouraging someone to make their game. I.e. it's more about support for a project rather than approval of the thing created by it. I think that's what he meant by the term anyway.

Balrog
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 05:47:15 AM »

A team helps -- are you working alone? I find the games I work on with others get done, the games I work on alone don't.

It works the opposite way for me Cry

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 11:22:20 AM »

I believe in you mirosurabu Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »

Try to convince yourself that you're interested in the project still. I get to the best mood when I start thinking of how the game will look when finished, and thing "oh wow, I've GOT to finish this!"

Akon
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »

try to do some muthafuckin work every single muthafuckin day (or some other muthafuckin interval of time)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic