Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:43:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCan I trust people asking for game keys for giveaways? Are those even worth it?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Can I trust people asking for game keys for giveaways? Are those even worth it?  (Read 1246 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:25:09 AM »

So I've just released my game InterSection and am getting a lot of emails asking for free review copies or whatnot. I'm happy to give them if people want to promote my game, but I'm always careful to confirm that these people are who they say they are (got some fishy emails from people claiming to be famous Russian YouTubers).
With YouTube I can have them use the YouTube message system to confirm (if they don't have their email address listed).

But what about people asking for a bunch of keys for giveaways, like on Steam Gifts. Is there any way to confirm they're being honest? Is it worth it to even do giveaways?

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 03:54:46 AM »

-If a youtuber contacts you, check his channel.
 If the youtuber has a low following, giving him a key is you doing charity.
 If the youtuber has a big following, ask him to contact you via youtube (to avoid random guy impersonating youtuber)

Youtubers don't ask for keys, either they buy the game or they've been contacted by you because you wanted him to try your game.

-People asking for free keys aren't helping you at all. They want free keys for their group (steam group).

I've seen no positive argument for giveaways yet, unless you want to devaluate your product.
If i see your game given for free somewhere, i'll expect it to be for free somewhere else at some other time and i'd never spend money on it.

and beware of this:
http://rebrn.com/re/curators-using-threats-of-bad-reviews-to-extort-free-keys-from-d-956792/
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »

If some tuber ask you to give him key (or person impersonating him) send it away... via YouTube's messaging system (or any other contact info listed on the channel in question). This way, even if someone tried to impersonate him/her, there's still chance they'd do a vid of it anyway.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
ZDeveloper
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 04:56:13 AM »

I stopped answering such requests. Best thing is to ignore them.
there are simply no benefits giving your game away, for free.

I am co-founder of z-software, small indie gamedevelopment studio located in Germany.

Our games:
History in Letters - The Eternal Alchemist (http://z-software.net/site/history-in-letters-the-eternal-alchemist/)
Solar Struggle (www.solarstruggle.com)
Fruitbash (www.fruitbash.com)
Rush on Rome
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 08:32:30 AM »

I stopped answering such requests. Best thing is to ignore them.
there are simply no benefits giving your game away, for free.

Well, I guess exposure by youtubers/streamers isn't any kind of benefit, like, at all. Also, who are you? Whoops, never heard of you, even though you seem to have released some games. The only reason you haven't heard about me is because I am still working on my first title.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:55:46 AM »

What the fuck dude? "Never heard of you?" What's the point in even saying all that? This is excluding the fact that the OP mentioned that people are asking for bulk keys for giveaways, not just for their own streaming/youtube purposes. If ZDeveloper is referring to that at all, then I completely agree. If someone wants to giveaway copies of your game to their audience, they should foot the bill. Even if Z is referring to not even giving out keys for streaming too, I personally agree, but understand those that do.

Just because you give out keys doesn't guarantee coverage, and coverage doesn't guarantee sales. There are also legitimate reasons for not seeking streamer/youtuber coverage. For example, a heavily spoilable game like Playdead's Inside.

Valo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 12:55:34 AM »

Part of my job is to vet every one asking free keys from my clients. 95% of those requests right after game launch seem to be fraudulent. So I wouldn't send any directly.

Best way to handlle these is to reply that they can hold the giveaway on their site but you are the one who sends the keys to the winners. Meaning they won't ever get access to the keys themselves. The cheaters go awfully silent after that Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic