Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:43:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessA scammy IndieGoGo campaign appears! (copy of our Kickstarter campaign)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A scammy IndieGoGo campaign appears! (copy of our Kickstarter campaign)  (Read 792 times)
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »

I just posted the exact same post in our devlog topic, but thought this might interest people who are not interested in our game, that's why I'm posting it here too. If admins think there shouldn't be duplicates, please accept my apologies, and remove the topic if you wish.

Fake IndieGoGo Campaign

Ok, so a really strange thing just happened! Our friend pointed us to a fake crowdfunding campaign of our game a couple of hours ago! The real campaign is on the Kickstarter, but this one was launched on IndieGoGo. Here's a screenshot:

Their page linked to all of our real social media addresses, had all of our pictures, video and part of the text. It even linked to our itch page for demo download! The rewards were different (their "200USD for your name in credits" reward sounds a little too much for me btw) and there were only three of them.

The second part of the text was also different and I find it very interesting that they decided to change it. Some interesting parts:

Moonburnt Studio is a small team of passionate and talented developers and while we're able to operate on the revenue we earn from the sales of our others projects, it's only enough to continue funding our core business, the development of video games. With our transition into full-time development, we'll need help from you, the fans and members of the crowdfunding community to get us off to a great start. We want to make this game with the fans, and it’s important to us to remain independent for that reason. Ultimately, this game is for you. We want to ensure your voice is heard and we deliver on what you want. We've done the math, and with $1500 we're confident we can complete the project which is already in its final phase and thus power deliver a game (and rewards!) that every fan will love - but with additional funds, we're prepared to increase the scope of the game and include some great stretch goals that will enhance everyone's experience.

Wow, I really wish the bolded parts were true!  Who, Me?

We are hoping to exceed our goal in order to bring you a more exciting experience. When our stretch goals are reached, prepare yourself for what is to come including cross-platform integration, new locations, challenges, and multilingual support.

This part is kind of scary to me, because it means someone REALLY researched our project. They mention things that are not part of our main goal, and also DON'T mention things that would not be logical to add to a point&click adventure, and that one would expect to be mentioned (for example multiplayer).

FINANCIAL RISK: Games are very expensive to make. We’ve worked on several big-budget games and have senior developers onboard to help budget the project properly. We have frontloaded a great deal of development using our own funds, taking on the risk ourselves. It wasn’t easy, but we’re driven to see our vision of COLUMNAE complete and in your hands. Now, with a pre-alpha demo, we need your help to get us to the finish line!

We never worked on big-budget game, we never even published a game before! Person who wrote this recognised this truth is not a good for marketing and decided to change it. Oh my!

SCHEDULE RISK: One of the biggest risks with any project is the completion timeline. Early on in a project, estimates are far less accurate than later. Fortunately, we’re starting this campaign at the 25% mark in development, so our estimates are more accurate than usual. Still, game development can be unpredictable at certain stages, and we understand that. Our goal is to do our very best to complete the game as outlined by our funding and stretch goals. Should the schedule need to change, our backers will be the first to know and we’ll be as transparent as possible. We’re in this together.

This is almost creepy. Our estimate is indeed that around 20-30% of the work for this game is done. But as far as I remember we only mentioned it in one reply to a backer and on this board (see the icon of the topic)!

FUN RISK: Making a entertaining and dynamic game is the ultimate goal, but it’s more of an art than a science. Often times a feature may not be as entertaining as we’d like, and requires more iteration. Luckily, we’re working with some amazing developers that have shipped critically acclaimed AAA titles to help ensure we’ll make the game dynamic and engaging. During several phases in the project, we’ll be conducting limited focus tests for every level and every feature. Through rigorous focus testing and iteration, we’ll be able to optimally tune the game and maximize the fun. We know you care a great deal about our game, and we do too. Your support will help ensure COLUMNAE is as fantastic as it can possibly be!

This again.

So we notified IndieGoGo, and it was promptly taken down (for which I am really greatful, I feared it would be a few-days "investigation" from their part to be honest!)... but not before we warned people about it on social media and posted an update about it on our own campaign.

Now here's the weird part. Now that everything ended, I actually kinda fear some people might think we made it ourselves to get some attention. I admit I was really suspicious when reading that recent last-minute pledge credit card story about that other  game because the story itself did really good job of promoting their game. And even then I felt guilty that my first thought was they did it themselves on purpose... but I was still suspicious! Fortunately this was not as big deal so we gained no press attention (it's also weird to say I'm glad the press didn't write about us, because at the moment we actually REALLY need it).

Others said this is a sign that somebody recognised we have a nice looking campaign with a potental, so I guess I should be flattered? Shrug

Thoughts?

site  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  facebook | indieDB
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »

Strange, to say the least. I can imagine this scam might pay off if you take a Kickstarter that is absolutely on fire (talking multiple millions and lots of press coverage) and start an identical indiegogo campaign with a very short goal in the hope that it'll get funded by people miss-googling before anyone catches on that you're a scammer.

I can't imagine, however, that a scammy spinoff of a kickstarter campaign with a goal as low as yours which, if funded, will probably follow the "surge, stall, final push" pattern is ever going to get funded in short enough a time to evade detection.

It does, as you've said, read as a ploy for attention, as this is the sort of practice that would probably scare a lot of folk who don't realize how non-viable it is, and therefore make for good click bait. Maybe somebody who wants your project funded cooked it up?
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:43:24 PM »

I can't imagine, however, that a scammy spinoff of a kickstarter campaign with a goal as low as yours which, if funded, will probably follow the "surge, stall, final push" pattern is ever going to get funded in short enough a time to evade detection.
I agree it was not likely to succeed, but have in mind indiegogo campaigns have this flexible funding goal thing.. so if it wasn't noticed, with some luck perhaps they hoped to get a few hundred dollars from it? I don't know really

It does, as you've said, read as a ploy for attention, as this is the sort of practice that would probably scare a lot of folk who don't realize how non-viable it is, and therefore make for good click bait. Maybe somebody who wants your project funded cooked it up?

I think this is highly unlikely as the creator of campaign is certain "Roselyn Salazar, Boston, United States", I don't know people form US. Sure, it's probably a fake name, but I guess IndieGoGo have some kind of check for credit card or bank account in advance like Kickstarter does (?) so that someone would need to have an access to an US credit card (maybe I'm wrong on this!)

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »

@voidSkipper now that you confirmed it reads as a ploy for attention, I am tempted to remove this topic, and all of our posts on social media about it... but that would probably look even more suspicious to people who noticed it. If I had known indiegogo would be so quick to remove it I wouldn't even mention it on twitter and facebook..
I'm really sad now  Concerned

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »

this is fucked up

Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 10:49:12 PM »

Not cool :/ Don't overthink it, concentrate on your real campaign!

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:11:46 AM »

I have only one word to say. Ouch.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 01:17:16 AM »

but I guess IndieGoGo have some kind of check for credit card or bank account in advance like Kickstarter does (?) so that someone would need to have an access to an US credit card (maybe I'm wrong on this!)

That's one of the big difference between kickstarter (which is limited for a certain amount of countries) and Indiegogo where all you need is a valid bank account (no country restriction).
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 03:24:48 AM »

Which is why IndieGogo is good to have. So KS still excludes countries, eh?

Anyway, really weird thing to happen. s:

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 05:03:48 PM »

Wow, copying game design has gone to the next level! Good luck with your campaign Smiley
PS: buying the last remaining funds of a kickstarter if you are close with your own credit card is, IMO, a good idea

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic