Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:03:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMan runs over Bastille Day crowd in Nice, killing 73 and injuring 100+
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Man runs over Bastille Day crowd in Nice, killing 73 and injuring 100+  (Read 951 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2016, 02:36:02 PM »

No motive known yet, but the attack was very much intentional.

God, this has been such a frightening couple of months.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:55:54 PM by FK in the Coffee » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 02:42:38 PM »

speechless atm
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 02:45:10 PM »

i recently moved out of a jewish area in london and every time i saw police at the tube station i thought damn i hope i don't get blown up today, i have places to be
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »

73 confirmed dead now.

There may be an accomplice, but no hostage situation, according to the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/14/nice-bastille-day-france-attack-promenade-des-anglais-vehicle?page=with:block-57881e0be4b073c22786c612#block-57881e0be4b073c22786c612
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:30:26 PM by FK in the Coffee » Logged
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 01:10:52 AM »

The sad thing is that this is happening so frequently in France that I'm starting to get desensitized to it. Like this is just normal life for the French these days, they're getting a handful of these terror attacks every year now.

What a heck can anyone do about it?

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 06:18:41 AM »

The sad thing is that this is happening so frequently in France that I'm starting to get desensitized to it. Like this is just normal life for the French these days, they're getting a handful of these terror attacks every year now.

Invade privacy, near-constant surveillance of your own people, foster a national sense of paranoia and distrust in anyone and anything unusual or weird. Basically, become America. I have noticed that we haven't had quite the level of international terrorist attacks that many European nations seem to have. That said, we have a lot of domestic violence. Which I wonder if it isn't a by-product of this "trust no one" mentality we all seem to have, here. Us and our automatic guns under our pillows or under our beds as we sleep, because we all believe that someone will break into our house in the middle of the night and we will have to shoot them... which what that says about a society's collective worldview is yours to judge.

Any measure taken to prevent terrorism will have side-effects. In the USA we just decided that if anyone is going to kill Americans in mass numbers, it was going to be Americans.

Honestly, if it gets any worse, and these people keep doing the things they are doing in the name of zeal, there may just come a point where a real, honest-to-goodness war ensues where America (and England will be there, of course) and co. have to draft young men and go deal with these countries. We haven't had a military beyond volunteer level since I have been alive.

Anyway, I doubt France has any interest in becoming America, but we have managed to prevent a lot of international terrorism... at a cost.

And yet, still not satisfied...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:11:50 AM »

Well strictly speaking most of the terrorism in Europe is domestic terrorism too. Most of the terrorists were people born and raised in Europe. Terrorist cells operate independently.
MargaretMeekins59
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »

This is terrible. Islamic countries continue their war...
froggyishere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 09:14:33 AM »

Well strictly speaking most of the terrorism in Europe is domestic terrorism too. Most of the terrorists were people born and raised in Europe. Terrorist cells operate independently.

We have had our fair share of these incidents here, as well. We have engineered a lot of things to limit the effectiveness of home grown terrorist attacks. We still have active shooting events, but as time goes on we're becoming better at teaching people to react by fleeing rather than taking cover, etc. I recently spoke to a SWAT instructor who says he is involved with teaching school district staff how to throw books and other heavy objects at the shooter while making their way to the exit, rather than taking cover behind objects that for all intents and purposes cannot stop a bullet, anyway. Explosive incidents are very rare, here. I have always said that all of the insistence upon firearms being the largest single threat to American society was in error, because vehicles are much more dangerous. But, you can't get elected on a platform of banning cars, now can you?

And yet, still not satisfied...
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »

Well I can assure you more shit like that happens in Mexico every other week and I sure as hell am not desensitized to the tragedies of people.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »

I sure as hell am not desensitized to the tragedies of people.

same
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 07:50:41 AM »

As a french, My first reaction was to ask to my mother if it was worse than when she was young ... she said no

I still distinctly remember, when I was young, about terrorism all across europe.

Though the context and modus operandi did change...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »

I still distinctly remember, when I was young, about terrorism all across europe.

well, i grew up in the 90s, so to me it IS a lot worse.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 11:59:19 AM »

Well seems like the free lunch period has ended ...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic