Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:49:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEggcademy game [PLAYABLE]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Eggcademy game [PLAYABLE]  (Read 3248 times)
Dasher
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »

Hi guy's,

I've been working on my game for quite some time now.
It's an educational FLASH game, meant for children, where they can play as a teacher, BUT with their own questions.

I was hoping to get some feedback, especially related to the educational part.
http://mysuper8.nl/work_in_progress
Dasher.

(NOTE: the children don't help each other in this version)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:29:56 PM by Dasher » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »

Sounds like it could be interesting, but that link's not working for me.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »

OK, hm. I'm not sure what to say, it seems to be in a very early stage, and I can't gauge what's going to change, but right now it is pretty uninteresting. If I'm doing what I'm supposed to, at least: I click on a student, get 'Who was Columbus?', click on the A furniture thing, wait until it says 'got it', then click on the same kid again. And then repeat. The art is pleasant, though. Could you explain how you envision the finished game?

Dasher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 09:07:59 PM »

Sure.

what you're seeing right now is a simple mechanic, without any punishment (time related) what so ever.

the final game is about maintaining a homework class, where you play as a teacher, and you
provide the desired answers to the children within a limited timeset.
If you look at the screenshot above in this post, you'll see that each kid has a few hearts.
These indicate their mood willing to do homework.
If they run out of these, they'll tend to lose focus, and won't raise their fingers anymore.
Eventually they'll fall asleep out of boredom/ anger,
because you failed to provide the answer in time.

The difficulty depends on how quickly you can guess the answer, and locate the first letter of the answer in one of the 4 furniture. Ofcourse if you don't know the answer, you simply browse through each one until you find it (which will take up more time)

CORE
what makes the game more interesting is that each kid actually 'learns' from the answer you give them.

The game will consist of multiple days, and in each day these five children will come into your class,
along with a workbook containing a couple of questions.
These questions get repeated throughout the game, meaning that it's possible for each kid to ask a very likeable set of questions each and every day.

You see, they not only have to do their homework, they also have to learn from it.

The moment a kid doesn't know an answer, he asks the player to go get it.
However, the 2nd time this kid gets a question in his workbook that he already knows the answer to,
he won't raise his finger anymore, instead,
he'll tend to try and figure out what he wrote the previous time, meaning that he either writes down the correct answer, or a wrong answer. (guessing)

If this kid completes his workbook and you let him leave with a wrong answer in his workbook, you'll get a penalty.
In order to fix this possible issue, you, as the teacher, need to check every workbook now and then,
for any possible 'wrong' answers, since these kids don't raise their finger, you'll instead have to come to them.
Just like like in real life.

Some extra features:
- you get to swop children's seats (so that children get to become friends, and help each other out)
- the teacher himself gets tired rather quickly over time, because he has to keep walking all day long (so you have to let the teacher rest now and then on his desk, which makes the game even harder) (scroll the above image to the right, to see the energy bar)

Does some of that make sense?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:57:39 AM by Dasher » Logged
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:00:04 AM »

Little Learning Eggs? That there is a super cute idea. The Hand-Drawn style is nice and friendly, too.  Smiley

I guess I'll have to wait until there's more actual game to comment on, but the idea that You are graded on the progress of your students sounds like a good idea. As do friendships forming between Egg...lets. I'll be keeping an eye on this game.

GRAMMAR NAZI TIME: Normally, I wouldn't comment, because I look like a tool, but you are creating an educational game. SO! Make sure you fix up those apostrophes!  Tongue
e.g: "Multiple day's" should be "Multiple days" and "come into you're class" should be "come into your class".
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »

OK, so this is kind of a micro-management type of game. I don't have quite a formed picture of how it will be to play it yet, though. How did you arrive at the idea for this game? Was it inspired by the difficult task that it means to be a teacher, or something of the sort?

Dasher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:19 AM »

Yup, that's about it Wink
I noticed that children these days don't really show much respect to teachers and the like: myself included  Cry
I caused quite some misschief in my early days, and this just my way of saying how sorry I am.

Well.. kinda..

Also,
I dislike the fact that you don't really learn many different things in games, which is a shame,
especially in the casual genre, where all you do is click click click.
Games can do better than that, and if the mainstream doesn't make those kind of games, they can rely on us to do it for them Wink
And they don't even need to ask :D

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:38:42 PM by Dasher » Logged
Dasher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:50:41 AM »

GRAMMAR NAZI TIME: Normally, I wouldn't comment, because I look like a tool, but you are creating an educational game. SO! Make sure you fix up those apostrophes!  Tongue
e.g: "Multiple day's" should be "Multiple days" and "come into you're class" should be "come into your class".

You are so very right  Gentleman
PS. thnx for the comments.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:55:07 AM by Dasher » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »

It would be nice if you get the player to learn some stuff. Good luck.

Dasher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »

thnx
Dasher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »

Hi guy's,

I've been working on my game for quite some time now.
It's an educational FLASH game, meant for children, where they can play as a teacher, BUT with their own questions.

I was hoping to get some feedback, especially related to the educational part.
http://mysuper8.nl/work_in_progress
Dasher.

(NOTE: the children don't help each other in this version)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:29:41 PM by Dasher » Logged
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »

The foremost thing I don't like is that the system is inherently negative; you lose points instead of earning them. I also find this school very strange, as it looks like the teacher sits there until the kids have questions, while they do the studying by themselves. And when they do have answers, the teacher indefectively needs to check the books: the kids don't seem to be able to look in the lockers by themselves, and the teacher doesn't even know the answers without having to check. I think that, in sum, the game system seems too artificial, and some steps could be taken to make it more organic. I find it odd that you chose to make the player's avatar the teacher rather than a student, as what we're doing is figuring out answers, which is the student's 'job' rather than the teacher's.

The game explains a few things, but fails to explain other important things, like having to move the kids to their seats. The kids get too quickly frustrated for the time it takes to do things in the game.

On the other hand, I find the visual and audio work to be very pleasant overall. Micro-managing kids while having to answer questions could potentially be fun if you smooth it out and make it a bit speedier (rather than relying on the game taking its time to move the avatar around and not being able to focus on more than one kid at the same time).

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »

I agree with a lot of what agj had to say. I see a lot of potential in this game! I love educational games, so I'll be keeping an eye out for this. Smiley
Just a quick side note, you may want to put a few screenshots in your opening post, to get more people to try out your game.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic